Marco Pedone, Technical Director and President of Environmental Management Solutions, is an Environmental, Hazardous Material and Safety Consultant. He has over 30 years of varied environmental experience in both commercial and military sectors and is a Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), and a Certified Safety Trainer (CET).
Dr. Pedone specializes in Risk Management issues relating to Environmental Management and Hazardous Materials, OSHA HAZWOPER, EPA, US Army Environmental Regulations, AR 385-10, Occupational Safety and Health Administration compliance with OSHA 29 CFR 1910 and 1926 (General and Construction Industry Safety Guidelines) as well as International standards like ISO 9001, ISO 14000, ISO 14001, and OSHAS 18001. Areas of proficiency include environmental program management, remediation, design, environmental testing and compliance, construction safety, and fire safety.
During his 30 years as a consultant Dr. Pedone has performed numerous and varied environmental projects. A few notable projects are listed. Remediating asbestos and lead abatement at the Statue of Liberty Ellis Island Historic Monument. Managing program compliance for contaminated soil at the construction site of a Federal Courthouse. Mold abatement and hazardous materials consultant for FEMA during Hurricane Katrina. World Trade Center Environmental Emergency Response, Soil and Emission Monitoring for infrastructure repair and development of the NYC PATH / Subway.
Currently Dr. Pedone is the principle Industrial Hygiene consultant to the New York City Fire Department (OSHA Division), and has been a consultant to the NYC Department of Environmental Protection (BWS) and the New York Department of Health (LBP survey program).
In addition, Dr. Pedone performs forensic environmental investigations and modeling for exposure assessment and tort litigation. Dr. Pedone has testified as an expert in numerous cases involving hazardous substances.
Licenses / Certifications – Current and Past
- Professional Engineer (PE) - NY State License - #088225
- NYC Site Safety Manager (NYCSSM) - #2253
- NYSDOL Safety Consultant - #WS-352
- NYSDOL Mold Assessor - #MA0034
- NYS/EPA Asbestos Project Designer - #89-00816
- NYS Asbestos Inspector - #89-00816
- NYS Asbestos Project Monitor - #89-00816
- EPA Lead Paint Inspector / Risk Assessor NY-R-85103
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) #13155 - Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) #8293 - American Board of Industrial Hygiene
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) # 11628 - Institute of Hazardous Materials Management
- Certified Occupational Health & Safety Tech. (COHST) #965 - AIHA/BCSP Certified Environmental Trainer (CET) #90-523 - National Environmental Trainers Association
- NYS Private Investigator # 11000152636
- Columbia University, 2004 - Present, Adjunct Assistant Clinical
- New York University, 1995 - 1996, Adjunct Staff - Instructor, Hazardous Materials Training Program, Continuing Education Department
- New York Medical College, 1992 - 1995, Adjunct Staff - Instructor, Environmental and Occupational Health Program
- Westchester County Community College, 1993, Adjunct Staff - Instructor, Pollution Abatement Technology Program
- Doctor of Public Health - Environmental Health Science / Toxicology - 2003, Columbia University The Joseph H. Mailman School of Public Health, NYC, NY
- Master of Public Health - Occupational Health Sciences - 1992, NY Medical College, Graduate School of Health Science, Valhalla, NY
- Master of Science - Environmental Engineering - 2009, (equivalent practical competency / NYS Fundamentals of Engineering – NYS Licensing Examination)
- Bachelor of Arts - Environmental Science - 1988, State University of NY, Purchase, NY
Research Interests Dr. Pedone has conducted research and design that produced a soil treatment option that allows petroleum contaminated soil to be batched with asphalt and used as a road sub-base.