For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Graduate Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply to a graduate program at Westphal even if my prior degree is related to another field?

Yes, students who have achieved a bachelor’s degree in a different field can still apply for our graduate programs at Westphal. Depending on your major and prior education, you may be required to take prerequisite coursework before entering the graduate curriculum fully.

If you have questions about your prior experience and would like to schedule a one-on-one with our Westphal admissions team, please click here to fill out the online request form.

Do I need a portfolio to apply?

A portfolio submission is only required for applicants to our MS in Design Research and MS in Digital Media programs. However, many of our graduate programs require prerequisite coursework for placement. To be reviewed for placement by program directors, students will need to submit a portfolio and an undergraduate transcript. Based on the submitted portfolio and prior undergraduate credit, we will determine the best place for you to start your graduate curriculum.

If you have questions about your prior experience and would like to schedule a one-on-one with our Westphal admissions team, please click here to fill out the online request form.

If you would like a portfolio review before applying, please meet with us at a Graduate National Portfolio Day event, or contact Tia James at or 215.895.1834.

Is cooperative education (co-op) required for graduate students at Westphal?

Graduate co-op is required for the MS in Digital Media. Several of the other graduate programs have required work experience as part of the curriculum. To learn more about co-op and career support at Drexel, please visit Drexel’s Steinbright Career Center website.

What courses will I be required to take to graduate?

To see our full curriculum for each graduate program at Westphal, visit the Drexel Course Catalog. This is the best way to see all required courses and view course descriptions for each graduate program at Westphal.

What graduate programs do you currently offer online?

We currently offer two online graduate programs: MS in Retail & Merchandising and an MS in Arts Administration & Museum Leadership. The MS in Arts Administration & Museum Leadership is also offered on-campus.

Can Westphal’s graduate programs be taken part-time?

Some of our graduate programs can be taken online, allowing students to work while pursuing their master’s degree. To learn about degree requirements for your program of interest and customize a full-time or part-time plan of study, fill out the online request form to speak with an admissions representative.

How do I visit Westphal College of Media Arts & Design?

Drexel University offers many ways to visit campus and Westphal College facilities, either through virtual tours and in-person open houses, or through individual meetings. Due to the individualization of our graduate programs, we strongly recommend setting up a meeting with the program director or a Westphal admissions team member. If you would like to schedule an appointment to visit, please fill out our online form here.

Can Graduate students take a minor?

Yes, Drexel offers many graduate minors. To learn more, please visit the graduate minors website.

How is the University calendar structured?

Drexel University is on a quarter schedule, which means we have 10-week terms with a finals week four terms per year. Many of our graduate students attend classes year-round. Our University-wide academic calendar can be found here.

Where can I find out more about the tuition cost?

For more information regarding graduate tuition and fees, please visit the Drexel Central website.

What type of housing is offered for graduate students?

Drexel offers housing options for graduate students at Stiles Hall in Center City in Philadelphia. In addition, there are many off-campus apartment options available to graduate students near our campus in University City and in Center City. Please see the graduate student housing website for more information.

What career support does Drexel provide?

The Steinbright Career Center is a world class resource for career services for all Drexel students.

Back to top