For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Information for Accepted Students

Visa Information

Exchange students will enter the United States under a J-1 student visitor visa. Information about the J-1 visa can be found on the State Department’s website.

Acceptance Letter

Once an exchange student is officially accepted by Drexel, the Office of Global Engagement will email an official acceptance letter and a Pre-Departure Handbook to the student. The acceptance letter should be kept at all times as it is required to apply for J-1 student visa. When applying for the J-1 visa, students should print a hard copy to include in their application.


Drexel will issue a DS-2019 after students have been officially accepted as an exchange student. In accordance with United States Immigration Law, the DS-2019 document will be mailed directly to the home university to be dispersed to the student. Included with the DS-2019 will be instructions on how to apply for a visa and other documents students will need to enter the United States. DS-2019 documents cannot be scanned and emailed. Students must use the original signed DS-2019 for their visa application. For more information about the DS-2019 distribution process, please visit Drexel's International Students and Scholars (ISSS) Office's website


All incoming exchange students have successfully secured housing for the duration of their program. On-campus housing is available, and although not guaranteed, is highly recommended. Suite style and double-occupancy rooms are available. All Drexel dormitories are double rooms so students must share a bedroom with another student. Some of the dormitory rooms are suites in which several students share the same living area including the bathroom and kitchen. While some housekeeping is provided, it is primarily the responsibility of students to clean up after themselves.

If students are placed in Drexel housing, they will be billed directly by Drexel for the cost of your room. For information about housing options, including how to apply for university housing and the cost of housing, review Drexel Housing.

Affiliated housing is also available and highly recommended. Affiliated housing is conveniently located near Drexel’s main University City campus and offers short-term leases. If Drexel affiliated options do not meet student needs, off-campus housing may also be available. Students must arrange off-campus accommodations independently.

Before booking your plane ticket, please make sure that you understand not only our academic calendar but when the residence halls open and close, if you are living in the residence halls.


Exchange students are not required to purchase a Dining Plan even if they choose to live in the residence halls. Dining Plans are best for students that prefer the convenience of on-campus dining locations.

Dining Plan Options & Information

Health Insurance and Immunizations

All exchange students must purchase Drexel’s health insurance in order to meet US immigration health insurance requirements. Information about student health insurance can be found on Drexel's Health Insurance and Immunizations website. The healthcare system in the United States is likely different than your home country.

Key Facts

  • You, as the insured, are responsible to review your insurance plan.
  • The cost of health care in the United States is very high. This is particularly true when visiting the emergency room. The emergency room should be gone to in case of serious emergency; hospital emergency rooms are designed to treat life-threatening ailments.
  • Patients are responsible for payment, which is usually expected upon receiving care.
  • The Drexel student insurance policy does not guarantee 100% coverage of any medical bill received. More information about what the Drexel student health insurance policy covers is available online
  • Drexel nor the U.S. government can provide financial assistance to pay medical bills.

Key Terms

  • Copay: a contribution made by an insured person toward the cost of medical treatment or other services. The copay is typically due at your appointment.
  • Deductible: The amount you pay for covered health care services before your insurance plan starts to pay. 
  • Coinsurance: a type of insurance in which the insured pays a share of the payment made against a claim.

All exchange students must complete an immunization record and pay a $35 immunization fee. A copy of the blank immunization record is included in the acceptance package. Download a copy of the blank immunization record [PDF]. Students must complete all required immunizations except PPD (Tuberculosis). PPD must be completed in the United States upon arrival at the university.