Looking Beyond Fear: A Public Health Approach to Coronavirus
Tuesday, March 10, 2020
3:30 PM-5:00 PM
In December 2019, reports of an outbreak of a coronavirus-related respiratory illness (COVID-19) emerged in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. More than 90,000 confirmed cases have now been reported in 85 countries across multiple continents, including more than 100 cases in the United States.
To date, there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Philadelphia, although the Philadelphia Department of Public Health is conducting surveillance, and there will likely be cases here eventually, as there are in much of the country.
Join the Dornsife School of Public Health for a special event including a panel about the emerging outbreak. In the panel, speakers will discuss what to know about COVID-19 and public health approaches to combat the spread of the virus.
Michael Yudell, professor and chair, department of Community Health
and Prevention at Dornsife
Learn more about Drexel’s University-wide plan to cope with potential coronavirus outbreak.
- "Human Rights Considerations in the Global Response to COVID-19" by Joseph Amon, PhD, MSPH, clinical professor, department of Community Health and Prevention, director, The Office of Global Health at Dornsife
- "The Role of U.S. Health Departments in Responding to Infectious Disease Crises" by James Buehler, MD, clinical professor and interim chair, department of Health Management and Policy at Dornsife, former health commissioner of Philadelphia
- "COVID-19 — Clinical Characteristics, Transmission, and Diagnosis" by Esther Chernak, MD, MPH, FACP, associate clinical professor, department of Environmental and Occupational Health, director, Center for Public Health Readiness and Communication at Dornsife
- "What We Know About the Epidemiology of COVID-19 (And What We Don’t)" by Michael LeVasseur, PhD, MPH, visiting assistant professor, department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at Dornsife
- "Drexel’s Management of COVID-19" by Annette Molyneux, PhD, assistant vice president, Student Life, director, Counseling and Health at Drexel