Master of Science in Strategic and Digital Communication
Department of Communication
The swift advance of digitization is being felt in nearly all disciplines and industries, and perhaps nowhere as robustly as the field of communications. Organizations in the private, public and nonprofit sectors are seeking talented professionals with a firm grasp of communicating in the digital age.
Drexel’s Master of Science in Strategic and Digital Communication (MS-SDC) provides an outstanding foundation for communication careers in the 21st century. The program prepares you to succeed in various media environments and platforms, as well as in communication contexts that are characterized by advanced digitization.
Visit our department
- Rolling admissions
- Convenient evening classes
- Attend full- or part-time
- Online or on-campus options
- Earn 45 graduate credits
- Complete in just over a year (full-time)
With a robust core curriculum consisting of seven courses (21 credits), the program provides a strong grounding in theoretical approaches to communication, ethics and media/communication policy. This theoretical basis is designed to ensure that, as the field changes, you will continue to have an intellectual framework for evaluating and implementing new technologies and adapting to changing media environments. Furthermore, the program fosters leadership skills that will help you lead teams to be innovative communication professionals in digitized media environments and different organizational communication contexts.
The Masters of Science in Strategic and Digital Communication (MS-SDC) degree emphasizes flexibility, encouraging you, in consultation with your faculty adviser, to craft an individual course of study tailored to your interests and career goals. Throughout the curriculum, you will use four Communication electives (12 credits) to increase communication skills or to further develop areas of specialization. An additional four free elective courses (12 credits) can be taken in Communication or in other departments across the University. This allows you to continue to tailor your plan of study, to add on a graduate minor, or to complete a certificate program.
Graduate Certificate in Public Relations
Drexel University’s online Graduate Certificate in Public Relations (PR) focuses on the basic building blocks PR professionals need. Courses cover the foundations of public relations, PR writing, PR planning, and strategic social media communication. Whether you’re new to the public relations field, are trying to expand your knowledge of PR, or find yourself needing additional PR training in your current position, this certificate will help you build a strong public relations foundation.
This certificate can be completed 100% online, and credits can be transferred into the online Master of Science in Strategic and Digital Communication program, should you choose to complete a full master’s degree.
Strategic communication has much to offer for those looking to work in public relations as well as with for-profit and nonprofit organizations. You’ll choose from courses such as PR Writing and Planning courses, Crisis Communication, Media Relations, Nonprofit Communication and others.
With communication increasingly becoming digitized, the program offers courses such as Strategic Social Media Communication, Digital Publishing, Digital Media Environments, Social Media Concepts That Matter and others.
- Learn from outstanding faculty members who either hold a PhD or possess considerable industry experience
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of communication practices in a digitized world
- Locate, critically assess and communicate about scholarly literature, concepts, theories and methods in the field of communication
- Apply major concepts and theories in the production of professional messages in a digital age
- Master clear and effective communication of ideas across all communication platforms and environments in a changing digital media landscape
- Analyze the impact that digitization and related changes in technology have on thinking, learning, remembering and creating, and possess the professional ability to adapt to new technology for new applications
- Integrate awareness of diverse audiences, cultures and environments into learning and professional experiences, and to apply these to professional communication contexts
- Recognize relevant industries, policies and professional organizations in the digital media realm
- Understand professional ethical standards and showcase competence to critically assess and apply these
- Apply leadership skills to become forward-thinking professionals that can lead communication teams in digital media and communication environments
- Attend full- or part-time
- Start the program in any academic quarter
- Take courses online or on campus
- Complete all required coursework in the evening
- Finish your degree in five quarters (just over a year) as a full-time student or in as little as two years as a part-time student
We look forward to hearing from you. Please email Julia May, PhD, director of the Master of Science in Strategic and Digital Communication program, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Drexel’s Master of Science in Strategic and Digital Communication Provides an Outstanding Foundation for Communication Careers in the 21st Century
Drexel’s College of Arts and Sciences is home to one of the most rapidly changing professional fields—communication. In order to keep students on the cutting edge of this highly sought-after field, Drexel’s Master of Science in Strategic and Digital Communication (MS-SDC) program has reinvented its curriculum to accommodate the needs and desires of today’s communication industry.
Co-op Sets Communication Major on Path to Becoming a Music Therapist
A co-op with the nonprofit Keep Music Alive not only allowed Ryan Shaw to explore his lifelong passion for music, but inspired him to pursue a career in music therapy after he graduates from the MS-SDC program.