Speculative Futures: Creative Practices in Health, Technology and Medicine in the Global South
Friday, April 6, 2018
9:00 AM-5:30 PM
We are pleased to announce "Speculative Futures," a symposium organized by Drexel University and the University of Pennsylvania.
How are new geographies of experimentation and speculation remaking science and medicine? How are techno-scientific and biomedical futures imagined in and beyond the Global South? Bringing together scholars from anthropology, STS, and adjacent fields, this workshop explores how configurations of 'the South' facilitate, produce, and are taken within by new formations of science, technology, and medicine. Through three panel presentations and a public discussion and round table, this workshop examines contemporary and historical forms of scientific and medical speculation in the global South.
- Alice Street (Edinburgh)
- Crystal Biruk (Oberlin)
- Euclides Gonçalves (Kaleidoscopio)
- Heidi Morefield (Johns Hopkins)
- Kaushik Sunder Rajan (Chicago)
- Kristina Lyons (UC Santa Cruz)
- Liliana Gil (New School)
- Nolwazi Mkhwanazi (WiSER)
- Marko Monteiro (Unicamp)
- Peter Redfield (UNC-Chapel Hill)
- Ramah McKay (Penn)
- Sebastián Ureta (UAH)
- Sylvain Landry Faye (UCAD)
- Vincent Duclos (Drexel)
- Jean Comaroff (Harvard)
- Stacey Langwick (Cornell)
- Julie Livingston (NYU)
- Richard Rottenburg (Halle)
- Drexel University
- University or Pennsylvania
- Vincent Duclos
- Ramah McKay
- Drexel: Department of Global Studies & Modern Languages; Center for STS; College of Arts and Sciences
- Penn: School of Arts & Sciences, and Wolf Humanities Center
The page for the event can be found by following this link here.
RSVP by following this link here.
Slought, 4017 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104