Student Computer Requirements
While all Drexel students are required to own a Personal Computer for their studies, they may not have the same requirements as other programs within the University. Students looking to purchase computers for their coursework at CNHP should stay near these guidelines for a smooth experience throughout.
- CNHP Programs require particular compatibility requirements. Be sure to review CNHP-specific hardware requirements and guidelines before making your personal computer purchase.
- Drexel University IT offers some helpful resources to assist students with purchasing decisions. For example, information on how students can purchase computers can be found here.
All CNHP Programs require students to have a Windows* or Mac OS laptop. Tablet Devices (such as iPads) are considered supplemental devices, and not should be considered as a primary laptop due to lack of software support.
*You should avoid purchasing a device with Windows S as it is not a full-featured version of the Windows Operating System and may not function properly with software used at Drexel.
Regardless of computer chosen, we recommend purchasing the extended warranty option to last you through the duration of your coursework. In addition, it is very important to consider investing in a backup solution. CrashPlan is a great cloud backup solution that is already in use at Drexel on Drexel-owned computers and is available for personal use for a yearly fee.
If you have a personally-owned computer that needs anti-virus, Sophos offers Sophos Home for free (home.sophos.com) on Windows and macOS. Drexel IT also recommends configuring Windows Defender for Windows computers, located in Start > Control Panel.
If your personally-owned computer has the Drexel IT Sophos package for personal computers installed, it will no longer receive updates. Sophos Home can be installed over this package, without need to uninstall the older version.
Questions or concerns? Contact the Drexel IT Help Desk at 215.895.2020 or email@example.com.
Most of our programs administer exams or quizzes using one of two software tools:
- Respondus LockDown Browser: Students will use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based exams using Respondus Lock Down Browser. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed below.
- ProctorU: Information will be provided by the academic programs that use ProctorU. System Requirements can be found at https://www.proctoru.com/live-plus-resource-center
- ExamSoft/Examplify: Information will be provided by the academic programs that use ExamSoft.
SPSS is available to download from the Drexel Software Site. It is also installed on all Lab Computers and Research Area Computers.
DREXEL SOFTWARE SITE
Note: Valid Drexel credentials required.
PROGRAM LEVEL SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Most Undergraduate Programs do not have special requirements as the computers are used for note taking and assignment completion. The following programs have additional uses:
- Accelerated Career Entry (ACE) and BSN Co-Op Nursing Students: Students may use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based or take-home exams. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed below.
Most of our Graduate Programs are offered Online or in a Hybrid format. The software requirements for the Online classroom environment meets the requirements listed above. The following programs have additional uses:
- Nurse Practitioner Program and CNL Program: Students in clinical/practicum courses may use their personal laptop computers for taking online exams using ProctorU or Respondus Lockdown Browser, depending on the course. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed below.
- Nurse Anesthesia Program: Students will use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based exams using ExamSoft Examplify. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed below.
- Physician Assistant Program: Students will use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based exams using ExamSoft Examplify. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed below.
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences: Students may use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based or take-home exams. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed below.
Since Doctoral Programs vary in length, it is important to either purchase an extended warranty to cover your computer, or plan to purchase replacement computer at the mid-point of your studies if means allow. In addition, it is also important to make sure that your data (such as dissertation files) are backed up.
- Counseling and Family Therapy (CoFT): CoFT Students will be issued a Drexel-owned laptop computer to use for their coursework by CNHP IT. Information regarding the computer will be provided by the program.
||Intel Core i5, i7, or i9 (not i3).
||PC: Windows 10 or 11
Mac: MacOS 11 or later
||Minimum: 8 GB, Recommended: 16 GB
||PC: Either Integrated Ethernet or USB to Ethernet Adapter
Mac: Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter
||Dual-Band 2.4 - 5 GHz Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n
|Display & Graphics Card
||You can go for the manufacturer recommended Graphics Card if you will use the computer primarily for Word Processing and basic web browsing.
If you will be reviewing videos or working with graphics-intensive applications, we recommend using a more powerful graphics card.
|Storage (Hard Drive)
||Solid State Drive, 256GB or larger. 512GB or larger recommended
|Camera & Microphone
||For proctored exams and virtual communications, all computers should be equipped with a webcam and microphone.
|Examplify Testing Software
If your department or program is using Examplify electronic exam software for testing purposes there are a few additional considerations you should prepare for.
- Be sure to have a stable internet connection before starting exams
- Save and close all windows and applications before starting your exam.
- Save and close all windows and applications before starting your exam.
- You may be asked to temporally disable any antivirus software before beginning your exam. Please make yourself familiar with the antivirus software you use and how to temporarily disable it.
- Proctored online exams will require a computer with a webcam
Students should follow the above Purchasing Recommendations guidelines as proctored online exams will require a computer with a webcam.
Make sure you have set up Multi Factor Authentication: https://drexel.edu/it/help/a-z/multi-factor-auth/
For information on Office365 including installing the office applications: https://drexel.edu/it/help/a-z/office365/students/
To obtain other Drexel licensed software:
Install Zoom to be prepared for virtual/meetings and classes: https://drexel.edu/it/help/a-z/zoom/
To see the current Drexel IT service status:
For problems in web browsers, try clearing your cookies and cache: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-clear-your-cache-on-any-browser
How to change your default browser:
https://support.mozilla.org/en- US/kb/how-change-your-default-browser-windows-10 or https://macpaw.com/how- to/set-default-browser-mac