January 6–10, 2020 - Sold Out!
May 18–22, 2020
August 10–14, 2020
Drexel University Center City Campus
Three Parkway Building, 1601 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102
This week-long intensive immersion course provides participants theory and hands-on training with leading-edge simulation skills using state-of-the-art computerized manikins (Human Patient Simulators, or HPS) and patient actors, also known as standardized patients (SP).
Programming covers a broad spectrum — from design and implementation of scenarios to setting up and running a simulation center. Participants completing the week-long course will earn a Drexel University "Certificate in Simulation."
Academic Nursing Faculty, Staff Development,
Simulation Lab Coordinators, and Health Professionals Interested in Simulation
- The History of Simulation
- Introduction to Human Patient Simulator (HPS) Case Development
- Debriefing Best Practices
- Implementing Case Design
- Human Patient Simulator (HPS) Case Development
- HPS Objectives and Pre-briefing
- Simulation Operations and Management
- Simulation Using Standardized Patients
- Standardized Patient Case Development
- Human Patient Simulator Experience & Debriefing Case
- Simulation Solutions I
- Standardized Patient Experience & Feedback
- Standardized Patient Training
- Standardized Patient Experience Video Evaluation
- The Art & Science of Moulage in Simulation
- Simulation Solutions II
- Simulation Certification
- Introduction of Simulation into the Curriculum or Healthcare Setting
Monday–Thursday: 8:00 a.m.–6:45 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
"This is the most effective and informative conference I have attended. Drexel truly is pulling academia from all over the country into the next generation of innovative teaching in nursing through simulation."
- Jillian Atkinson, New Hartford, NJ
"The experience was invaluable. The opportunity to network with simulation centers around the world, and to receive feedback and to feel the anxiety of the students were things I will never forget."
- Jill Reiter, Vermilion, OH.
"This conference moves in directions with simulation that I had not even dreamed of. I have the tools and follow-up capabilities to bring our simulation program to the next level."
- Linda Visser, Wenatchoe, Washington
"Drexel's simulation course was excellent. It was comprehensive, threading learning theories, debriefing theories, and hands on teamwork throughout to create an effective and engaging HPS scenario and SP case."
- Heather Zerbel, Pinehurst, NC
"Great sharing of resources, information, and experiences with simulation. The entire faculty (from professors, IT staff, and simulation techs) are 100% invested in helping you improve and grow your own simulation programs."
- Shannon Welk, Phila, PA
"Awesome! Very friendly staff! Loved the enthusiasm that staff brought to the conference!"
- Simonne Phelps, Hooksett, NH
"The moulage experience was great! I will be able to use my material in my future simulations!"
- Judy Reeves, Bentonville, AR
"The SP experiences are invaluable and have changed the way I teach and empathize with students."
- Vanessa Johnson, Westonville, OH
"I didn't realize how much I didn't know until I took this Certificate in Simulation program. Not just another class but another experience."
- Michael Greco, New York, NY
"This program provided and intensive, knowledge enriched introduction to the use of simulation in education. I will return to my facility energized with novel ideas for implementation."
- Pamela Vaccari, Paramus, NJ
"It was eye-opening to experience simulations as a student. It will help me to develop future simulations that will more effectively meet objectives."
- Dawn Sgaro, Eaton Twp, OH
"Not only very informative and elucidating to my practice but the team was great without exception. You made all of us feel part of Drexel and it felt like we knew each other for a long time. Very considerate to students' specific needs."
"We were valued by you and treated like family. Not only did you have knowledge, but gave us tools to help us succeed. The financial piece was especially beneficial since we are building a new sim lab."
- Janis Tollider, Berea, KY
"This program needs to be included in the curriculum for every nurse educator program! A powerful teaching/learning method for pre-licensure nursing students bringing reality into the lab setting."
- Barbara Shelor, Crystal Lake, Illinois
All registration forms received by mail must include FULL payment in order to be processed and reserve a seat in this course. You will receive an email confirmation once your registration and payment have been processed. Please DO NOT make TRAVEL arrangements until your registration confirmation is received.
Certificate in Simulation Tuition Includes:
- Comprehensive Program Book with all handouts.
- Tote Bag
- USB Drive with Course Case Scenarios and Videos.
- Hands on Lab Sessions
- Lab Material
- Moulage Kit
- Continental Breakfast, Lunch & Refreshment Breaks each day
- Copy of the book "Review Manual for the Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator Exam (Second Edition)" L. Wilson & R. Wittmann-Price, Springer Publishers 2019
- Contact Hour Certificate.
We encourage early registration so that we can get confirmation and additional information to you. You will receive a confirmation letter including travel directions, parking information within 2 weeks of our receipt of your registration fee. If you do not receive confirmation, or if you have any questions, please call us at 800.666.7737.
Hotel and Travel Info
This course will be held at Drexel in Center City Philadelphia, NOT on Drexel's main campus
Three Parkway Building, 1601 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102
Discounted Hotel Rates - Drexel University has discounted rates with hotels in Philadelphia. Please visit our list of Hotels with Drexel University Discount Rates. Please note: discount rates based on availability.
Map of Preferred Hotels of Drexel University
Embassy Suites - 0.1 mile/5 minutes
Windsor Suites - 0.3 miles/7 minutes
Hampton Inn - 0.3 miles/6 minutes
Hilton Garden Inn - 0.3 miles/6 minutes
Home2 Suites - 0.5 miles/10 minutes
Sonesta - 0.6 miles/13 minutes
Loews Hotel - 0.6 miles/13 minutes
Union League - 0.6 miles/12 minutes
Club Quarters - 0.6 miles/ 13 minutes
Click on image to enlarge.
Directions to Drexel's Center City Campus
To enable the nurse and healthcare professional to increase knowledge on simulation strategies, simulation case development, simulation case implementation, simulation case evaluation, debriefing strategies and moulage techniques.
Overall Program Objectives
1. Discuss the creation and management of a simulation center
2. Describe the creation and implementation of HPS and SP scenarios
3. Discuss the evaluation process to include debriefing and satisfaction
36.25 Continuing Nursing Education Contact Hours will be provided
You must attend the entire program to receive credit.
Drexel University (DREXEL) College of Nursing and Health Professions, Division of Continuing Nursing Education is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP13661 for 36.25 contact hours.
All planners and presenters at nursing continuing education activities are required to disclose to the audience any significant financial relationships with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial products, goods or services. Such disclosures will be made in writing in the course presentation materials.