Field Placement Office
The Field Placement Office (FPO) within the School of Education is responsible for accepting and evaluating placement requests for all stages of clinical experiences within the Teacher Education Program. The FPO works with university partnering schools and school districts in order to coordinate appropriate and carefully matched placements to ensure that students are exposed to a variety of cultures, economic backgrounds and diverse setting.
Field Experiences are one of the most critical components of a teacher education program. These experiences allow Education Majors the unique opportunity to gain exposure and experience in multiple school settings, working with a variety of student populations. Through field experiences, students are able to connect the education theories and concepts learned in coursework to hands-on, practical experiences in the classroom.
Victoria "Tori" Perrottet – Field Placement Coordinator
- Classroom Observation - (Stages I – II PK-4 and Secondary teacher certification areas including DragonsTeach and DragonsTeach Middle Years)
- TESL Stages I & II
- Student Teaching - (Stage IV including Undergraduate Residency)
Zakita Butler – Field Placement Coordinator
- Classroom Observation - (Stages I-II Special Education Only)
- Pre-Student Teaching - (Stage III)
- TESL Stage III
- Reading Specialist Field Components
- Educational Administration Field Components
- Doctoral-level Field Components
Brenda Gormley - Assistant Director of Field Placements
- University Supervision
- DragonsTeach and DragonsTeach Middle Years
- PTR (Philadelphia Teacher Residency Program)
Sarah Ulrich, EdD - Associate Dean of Teacher Education & Undergraduate Affairs
Field Placement Office
3401 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
School of Education Clearance Policy
Drexel University policy requires that School of Education Faculty, Staff and Students who may come into contact with minors either through field-based supervision or research experience in school settings must obtain and present to the Field Placement Office (FPO) the following clearances prior to entering a PK-12 school setting. Please note that some schools and/or school districts may require clearances on file be valid through the end of a field experience within a year of date of issuance to conduct an experience within their school/district. Non-PA students may need to obtain additional clearances for their state of residency prior to engaging in a field experience.
Although the process may seem a lengthy, it is an extremely important one when one considers the safety and welfare of PK-12 school children. Schools and districts take clearance policies very seriously. A candidate may not enter a PK-12 building for purposes of conducting a field experience without the proper clearance information.
*** Students are to submit all clearance items electronically via the email: StuTeach@drexel.edu. Please be sure to use the following subject heading in the email: "Clearance Submission" followed by Your Full Name. ***
Specifically, students conducting field experiences within the PA State borders are required to obtain and submit:
- FBI Federal Criminal History Record (Act 114) using Service Code 1KG6RT for Colleges/Universities Teacher Education Program: Information about how to obtain your FBI clearance is available at the PA Department of Education. Upon registering for the fingerprint check, you will be assigned an unique Universal Enrollment ID (UEID). You are to email the UEID to the Field Placement Office (StuTeach@Drexel.edu) so that the FPO may access your FBI clearance electronically. Be sure to process this clearance through the PA Department of Education and not another government agency requiring a FBI Clearance, e.g., Department of Public Welfare or Department of Banking.
- Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting Training (Act 126): Teacher candidates must complete the mandated reporter training. Candidates are to print the certificate and forward a copy to the FPO. The online training can be found at PA Child Welfare Resource Center.
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Records Check (Act 34): Request your record through the PA Access To Criminal History (PATCH) system and forward it to the FPO.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151): Information related to background checks/clearances can be found at PA Child Welfare. The clearance document is to be forwarded to the FPO.
- Arrest / Conviction Report and Certification Form (Act 24): Teacher candidates must complete and forward the PDE-6004 form to the FPO to have on file. Please note that individual schools may also request a candidate to sign a form for their files. Forms can be found at PA Department of Education.
NOTE: Although Background Checks and Clearances are viable for five (5) years from date of issuance for Drexel students who remain continuously enrolled, please know that some school districts and schools require the Background Checks and Clearances to be valid within the year of their dates of issuance. It is the student's responsibility to maintain updated clearances in such situations. Also, some districts and schools may also require proof of a clear Tuberculin skin test.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the FPO at StuTeach@drexel.edu.