Introducing the Nina Henderson Provost Scholars Program
August 11, 2021
This message was sent out by the Provost Office on August 11, 2021.
The Office of the Provost is pleased to announce the new Nina Henderson Provost Scholars Program, made possible by support from Nina Henderson, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees and Drexel alumna. Now accepting applications, this annual scholarship program will provide 12 motivated Drexel students with the opportunity to enhance their leadership skills and play a hands-on role in shaping the Drexel experience. Drawing on their diverse backgrounds, disciplines and perspectives, Nina Henderson Provost Scholars will work alongside the Provost and senior Provost's Office leadership to advance key priorities of the Drexel 2030 Strategic Plan and contribute to the overall academic vision of the University. As part of the application process, students have been asked to provide 1-2 letters of recommendation for this program.
In addition to serving in an advisory capacity, Nina Henderson Provost Scholars will collaborate with members of the Provost's Office team to develop and implement annual projects. The projects will address areas such as facilitating adaptable, immersive curricula; strengthening an equity-driven culture and reimagining higher education in the next 10 years. Nina Henderson Scholars will participate in regular meetings and present final project outcomes to Trustee members of the Academic Affairs Committee of Drexel's Board of Trustees.
Nina Henderson Scholars will:
- Earn a $5,000 scholarship awarded annually.
- Actively contribute to enhancing the student experience, fostering and heightening Drexel's distinctiveness as an academic enterprise.
- Collaborate with other engaged student colleagues across the University.
- Gain leadership experience, mentorship and recognition of scholarly excellence and Drexel community involvement.
- Remain a Nina Henderson Provost Scholar while at Drexel for as long as they are a contributing member.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
The Nina Henderson Provost Scholars program is open to graduate students and undergraduates of sophomore standing or above, with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. The selection committee will seek to ensure that the composition of the 12 selected Nina Henderson Provost Scholars is representative of Drexel's diverse academic programs and student populations.
Successful candidates will:
- Demonstrate leadership and inclusive thinking, as well as the motivation to make an impact at Drexel.
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Be proactive and organized.
- Remain a contributing and responsive member of the Nina Henderson Provost Scholars program.
Applicants will be asked to provide:
- A résumé.
- 1-2 letters of recommendation from professional or academic references.
- A short description of why they are interested in becoming a Nina Henderson Provost Scholar and their view on their prospective contribution to the program, as well as their Scholar colleagues.
Eligible applicants will be asked to interview with members of the Provost's Office in September. Please encourage motivated students to apply by August 30, 2021.
Access the Application