Bachelor of Science (BS) in General Studies
Drexel’s Bachelor of Science in General Studies degree allows students to pursue in-depth preparation for the professional workplace in a variety of areas of study. Employers today are looking to fill positions for which critical thinking, creativity and communication skills are highly valued. A Bachelor of Science in General Studies degree offers you the academic diversity and professional application needed to take the next step in your career. Having a range of interests and a desire to explore emerging areas of expertise can help students pursuing a bachelor's degree in General Studies gain multiple career options.
Designed with working adults in mind, the BS in General Studies is offered online or in-person, and full or part time—allowing you the flexibility to balance work, family and academics. You can tailor the curriculum to your unique goals and earn valuable credentials via minors, certificates and specializations. Whether you want to explore business and communication or history and economics, there is a degree for you through a BS in General Studies. With the help of a dedicated advising team, the path to degree completion is yours to make.
What courses are needed for a General Studies degree?
Students in Drexel’s BS in General Studies are expected to complete 180 credits (inclusive of transfer credits). Along with core classes in the General Studies degree plan, students have 45 credits of free electives to craft an area of specialization or complete minors.
Example General Studies classes include:
- Lifelong Learning Theory & Practice (required)
- Professional Applications of Emotional Intelligence
- Client Relations Management
- Applied Organizational Research
- Interpersonal Skills for Virtual Teams
- Career & Professional Development
- English Composition
- Fundamentals of Mathematics
- Computer Applications for Professionals
- Techniques of Speaking
- Senior Project in General Studies (required)
Example areas of specialization in a General Studies degree include studies in:
- Social Sciences
- Law & Government
- Natural Sciences
- Applied Arts
For more information on General Studies courses, explore our curriculum.
Customize your BS in General Studies Experience
Similar to other bachelor’s degrees, the BS in General Studies has a requirement of 180 credits of coursework. Students can readily meet these requirements because Drexel Goodwin offers the flexibility to take courses online or on campus along with a generous transfer credit system. The degree also allows for students to include minors and areas of specialization within the bachelor's degree requirements—so you can earn your degree in less time, and for less money while still demonstrating academic and professional expertise.
Learn more about the General Studies major at the Drexel University Catalog website.
BS in General Studies Learning Outcomes
The BS in General Studies program aims to equip students with the following demonstrable skills:
- Creative and Critical Thinking: Develop skill for autonomous learning, critical thinking and reading, goal setting, problem solving and time management
- Communication: Demonstrate written, oral, visual and interpersonal communication skills, employing emotional intelligence in organizational settings
- Technological Use: Generate electronic communications and technology-based projects for professional applications used in real and virtual environments
- Ethical Reasoning: Discern and apply ethical responsibilities associated with developing effective, working relationships in scholarly or professional environments
- Leadership: Exhibit learning-based initiative with course assignments and project management, individually and in groups
- Mathematics: Show a foundational knowledge of applied mathematics
Transfer Credits to Drexel Goodwin
Drexel’s BS in General Studies degree program offers a flexible transfer credit policy that allows you to incorporate your learning from academic, military and professional experience. You can transfer up to 135 credits out of the 180 credits needed to graduate.
Take Drexel’s BS in General Studies Online or On Campus
The Bachelor of Science in General Studies is offered via online and face-to-face delivery modes to help you achieve academic success around your goals and schedule.
Earn your degree entirely online through Drexel University Online—helping you reach your academic goals without having to take time away from your career or personal needs.
Apply for Online program
Study on campus and experience Drexel’s state-of-the-art facilities and take advantage of face-to-face time with your instructors and peers.
Apply for on-campus program
Whether you take the Bachelor of Science in General Studies courses online, in-person, or a hybrid of both, you can count on academic advisors to provide you with developmental support every step of the way.
Have more questions?
Find the answers you need on our FAQ page>