How to File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application used to determine your eligibility for federal and state financial aid. U.S. citizens and permanent residents should complete a FAFSA each year they are enrolled at least part-time at Drexel.
Tips for Completing the FAFSA
- The FAFSA is completed online.
- The new FAFSA becomes available October 1 of each year.
- The FAFSA will be based upon your family's financial information from two years prior (i.e., the 2023–2024 FAFSA will use 2021 tax year information).
- If you will be living in University Housing (i.e., you are billed for housing on you Drexel eBill) than you should choose "Dorm" for your housing status; if you will be living in Affiliated Housing or private housing (i.e., you are not billed for rent via Drexel) make sure you select "Off-Campus".
- You (and your parent, if you are a dependent student) will need to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID in order to complete and sign the FAFSA.
- It is important to complete the FAFSA by Drexel's priority deadline in order to be considered for all types of financial aid.
- Drexel's Federal School code for completing the FAFSA is 003256.
- If you have any questions, you can contact a FAFSA customer service representative at 1.800.4.FED.AID (1.800.433.3243).
Review Your Student Aid Report
The Department of Education typically takes 3–5 business days to fully process your FAFSA once you have submitted a complete application. Once your FAFSA is fully processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) that will indicate any issues with your application and your potential next steps. If there are any errors or issues that you need to resolve, you will need to follow the instructions listed on the SAR to correct them. Your Student Aid Report will also include your expected family contribution as calculated by the Department of Education.
The information that is reported on your SAR is also sent to the schools you listed on your FAFSA. Drexel University should receive your FAFSA data approximately 2-3 days after you receive your SAR.
In order to be considered for most types of financial aid programs, domestic students should complete the FAFSA by the priority deadlines listed below:
|Early Action, Early Decision, and Regular Decision First-Year Applicants
|Winter Entry Program Applicants
||* One month prior to start of term (recommended)
|New Graduate Applicants