Student-Created Infographics Showcase Wide Range of Global Health Topics
January 20, 2022
Students in last quarter's Overview of Issues in Global Health (EOH560) class were each challenged to create an infographic on a topic of their choice, and their resulting work spans issues that affect much of the world's population, including malnutrition, maternal mortality, mental health, and chronic disease.
Taught by Celeste Marin, PhD, MPH, adjunct professor of Global Health at Dornsife, the course familiarizes students with the major health issues and considerations involved in global health. Marin's infographic assignment requires students to apply various public health skills as they research a topic, identify critical information and distill it into a clear, visual message, creating a practical, tangible public health communication.
Many students found it a refreshing and inspiring change from written assignments like policy briefs. "Creating an infographic on displacement perfectly fused my personal experience as a resettled refugee with my passion for the visual arts," said Medoza Ameen. "The research process was much more enjoyable than usual because I knew the final product could have the dual impact of being educational and aesthetically appealing. Synthesizing information into a concise, coherent infographic is a fun puzzle to figure out."
"Infographics can be a powerful tool for sharing important public health information and helping people understand the issues," says the American Public Health Association (APHA). With that in mind, Kimber MacGibbon, RN, executive director of the HER Foundation, created 'Managing Thiamin Deficiency,' which will be used by her organization to educate health providers about hyperemesis gravidarum.
Below is a selection of the students' informative and varied infographics, which are shared with their permission:
- Child Malnutrition in the Phillippines - Krizel Sagun
- Disparities in Maternal Mortality in the U.S. - Nanya Owusu
- Biologic Therapies for Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD) Patients - Damian Dodge
- Intimate Partner Violence in Sub-Saharan Africa - Tessa Witkowsky
- The Benefits of Mindfulness in Treating Depression Among College Students - Shannon Donahue
- Let's Talk About Postpartum Depression - Erin Stonesifer
- Forced Migration: The Journey of a Refugee - Medoza Ameen
- Managing Thiamin Deficiency - Kimber MacGibbon