Teaching Assistant Orientation and Preparation Course
The Teaching Assistant (TA) Preparation Course is a special, free, one-credit course that is mandatory for all incoming or new TAs. The course consists of workshops and assignments the week before the fall term and additional workshops during the fall term. Academic departments are to submit their list of TAs prior to the start of the academic year. Incoming TAs will receive more information prior to the start of the fall term. TAs who start mid-year or miss the course should plan to attend the following year’s course.
This course is designed to provide TAs with the following:
- Understanding of the role and value of the TA in the Drexel undergraduate academic experience
- Awareness of the expectations and needs of a diverse student population
- Awareness of support services, instructional resources and technology: audio visual and online
- Understanding of teaching tasks and opportunities to practice doing them:
- Prepare for a class
- Create a lesson plan
- Introduce yourself to a class
- Create an interactive learning environment
- Present material in different ways to accommodate different backgrounds and styles of learning
- Field student questions
- Give feedback
- Evaluate good teaching practices
- Manage challenging classroom and office hour situations
2017 Course Schedule
Friday, October 13, 2017, 1–3 p.m.
Teaching Across Cultures
Friday, October 20, 2017, 1–3 p.m.
Joseph Hawk, PhD
Friday, October 27, 2017, 1–3 p.m.
Practice Teaching Session
2017 Course Materials
If you missed the fall 2017 Teaching Assistant Orientation or would like to reference the presentation, you may review a full video of the session on YouTube.