Spring Term 2016-2017
- Complete and submit the Application for Degree via DrexelOne by Monday, May 1, 2017.
- Submit signed Completion Forms to the Graduate College by Friday, June 30, 2017 by 4 p.m.
Summer Term 2016-2017
- Complete and submit the Application for Degree via DrexelOne by Monday, July 27, 2017.
- Submit signed Completion Forms to the Graduate College by Friday, Sept. 29, 2017 by 4 p.m.
This checklist is for graduate students enrolled in a quarter program. Students in other professional programs should contact their department for forms and procedures.
Step 1: Graduation requirements
To be considered a degree candidate, you must satisfy all the conditions established by your department. Speak to your supervising professor or departmental adviser about the requirements of your degree.
Step 2: Submit your application for degree
Complete and submit the Application for Degree via DrexelOne by the established deadline. Read the Application for Degree webpage for detailed instructions.
If you are graduating in the summer term, please contact your academic adviser re. commencement walkthrough eligibility.
Step 3: Institutional holds
Check your DrexelOne account to ensure you have no outstanding holds on your record.
Step 4: Financial obligations
Check for any remaining balance on your student account by logging on to DrexelOne. You will not receive your diploma or be able to request an official transcript until your account is paid in full.
Step 5: Commencement
Commencement occurs once a year in June. All graduating students receive an email with instructions to RSVP via a survey in DrexelOne. This survey also contains more information re. tickets, regalia, etc.
Academic hooding for doctoral students will take place at the school/college ceremonies. Please make arrangements with your supervising professor(s)/chair to attend this specific ceremony with you. The Graduate College will also notify your supervising professor(s)/chair, who will be acknowledged in the official program. If your supervising professor(s)/chair is unable to make the ceremony, please find a replacement from your dissertation committee to participate in the academic hooding.
Find more details on the Commencement website.
Step 6: Regalia
Visit the bookstore's website for more information re. commencement regalia.
Graduation Instructions for Doctoral Candidates
(PhD, DRNP, DRPH, DPT, DHSC, EDD)
When you apply for graduation, your file will be reviewed for completion for these requirements as stated above. You should consult with your academic adviser, department chair or supervising professor regarding departmental requirements.
What You Will Need
- Notification for Scheduling the Final Oral Defense
You must file a D4 form [PDF] outlining the information of your defense. The form must be completed and submitted to the Graduate College at least four weeks in advance of your defense date.
- Result of your Final Oral Defense
The D5 form [PDF] is necessary for graduation. In the absence of this form, you cannot be cleared for graduation. Signatures are to be obtained at the conclusion of your successful defense. Your supervising professor or dissertation chair must specify on the form whether or not the results of the final oral defense were or were not satisfactory. Once all signatures are obtained, the form must be submitted to the Graduate College by your committee within 48 hours of your defense.
- Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form
The Thesis/Dissertation Approval form [PDF] details important information about the publishing/binding process. It must be signed by you, your supervising professor or committee chair, the committee members, academic advisor and department head. Upon completion, this form must be submitted to the library. A completed copy of your dissertation/thesis must be submitted to the library along with two separate payments to cover the binding charges. Please review the Thesis Manual [PDF] for more information about formatting and required documents. For more information, please visit the Drexel University Libraries website.
- Completion Form
This is the final step in the process. In order for the Graduate College to clear you for graduation, this form must be filed by the proposed deadline. The deadline is typically the end of the first week of classes after the term you plan to graduate. For exact deadlines, please contact the Graduate College (email@example.com). Make sure the information is legibly written and obtain all the required signatures on the form.
Steps to Completion
- Complete and submit the Application for Degree through Drexel One by the established deadline for the term. Read the Application for Degree webpage for detailed instructions;
- Work with your adviser and committee members, decide on a date, time and place for your final oral exam (defense), making certain that the defense date occurs before the established deadline for the term. (Note that the advisor has to agree that the dissertation is ready to defend);
- Submit the Schedule of Final Oral Defense to the Graduate College at least four weeks prior to your defense date;
- Submit copies of your dissertation to the members of your defense committee at least three weeks prior to your defense date;
- At the conclusion of your successful defense, have all committee members sign the result of the final oral defense form (D5 Form [PDF]);
- Make any required corrections to your dissertation, and have your adviser and all committee members sign the thesis approval form [PDF];
- Submit your dissertation to the library according to the instructions on the Drexel University Libraries Website. When you have submitted all the required materials and payments, the Completion Form [PDF] will be signed and returned to you;
- Once all required signatures are obtained, submit the Completion Form to the Graduate College for clearance of your doctoral degree.
Submit the following to the Graduate College by the established deadlines:
All doctoral students must be registered for at least one credit hour either research or dissertation in the term in which one is planning to defend and/or graduate.
For more information on Drexel's Commencement ceremonies, please visit the Commencement website.