Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Travel Award
The Graduate College and Graduate Student Association (GSA) offer a limited number of Teck-Kah Lim Graduate Student Travel Awards annually to encourage graduate student participation in prestigious academic meetings and conferences nationwide. These awards not only strengthen the academic and professional goals of our students, preparing them to be leaders in their fields, but also increase the awareness of the exceptional graduate work happening at Drexel.
The Teck-Kah Lim Travel Award Fund—created in 2016 in honor of Teck-Kah Lim, PhD, professor of physics and former associate vice provost of graduate studies—will expand these conference travel opportunities for Drexel graduate students. To donate to this fund, please visit the fund's giving page.
Graduate students are eligible for one award per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30). In addition, no more than five awards will be given out for each meeting or conference. The funding opportunities available for applications submitted March 1, 2017 and after, are listed below.
|For conferences within all U.S. states except those states listed below
||Up to $600
||Up to $300
For conferences within Maryland, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts
|Up to $400
||Up to $200
Students intending to attend international meetings beyond the United States and territories should seek funding from the Office of International Programs.
Qualifications and Conditions
To qualify, the applicant must be enrolled in a face-to-face full-time PhD/doctoral or master’s quarter program at Drexel, in good academic standing and presenting a talk or paper at the meeting/conference. The presenting student must complete this online application and submit all required materials listed below at least one month before the conference begins. Applicants will be notified of any award via email at least two weeks before the start of the meeting/conference. A follow up PowerPoint slide and all required documents for reimbursement are due to the Graduate College within two weeks of the last day of travel. All awards are calculated and determined based on the following conditions:
- The type of participation and visibility in the conference: for instance quality/likely impact of the presentation, size/quality of the meeting (local vs. international, for example), student’s role in the presentation (first author or not, oral session vs. poster, etc.)
- The strength of support in the recommendation letter
- Student’s year in program (and therefore number of opportunities for further support)
- The subsidy funds available
- The amount of any other funding student is receiving to help cover expenses
- The amount of previous support/funding a student has received in the past
Note: BS/MS students are not eligible for this award.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but must be submitted at least one month before the meeting/conference begins. A decision will be returned via email at least 2 weeks before the start of the meeting/conference. To apply, please complete the online application (includes Applicant Information, Meeting/Conference Information, Estimated Expenses, Required Application Materials, and Agreement). Please do not submit your application without all of the following application materials:
- A 1-page personal statement explaining the relevance and importance of attending the meeting/conference
- Statement of support by the Graduate Adviser including justification for attendance, confirmation of student’s full-time status, and details on the other sources of funding
- Conference information (website, etc.) with details of registration fees, if applicable
- Proof of your presentation’s acceptance at the conference (if available at time of application or as soon as possible after via email)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Attached are two sample personal statements for review: Sample #1 [PDF] and Sample #2 [PDF].
Awards are distributed in the form of reimbursement via a Check Request or Funding Transfer. Recipients who are receiving funding from Drexel departments/advisors will have the choice to follow the standard reimbursement procedures listed below or have their award transferred directly to their department/adviser via a Funding Transfer. Recipients will only be reimbursed if/when they submit all the following required documentation and receipts for meeting/conference-related expenses to the Graduate College within two weeks of the last day of travel:
- Original Receipts/Invoices: Please ask for separate and itemized receipts. Please write-in any added tips (if applicable). Small receipts must be attached/taped to separate sheets of paper to be scanned. Only receipts originating online or in email format can be scanned. Original receipts must be scanned and uploaded and then submitted in person or via regular mail.
- Check Request Form [PDF]: Complete sections 1 and 2 and your student ID number. Students who are employed by Drexel (i.e. in Payroll) will receive a direct deposit.
- Credit Card Statement: Showing travel-related purchases.
- Travel Award PowerPoint Slide [PPT]: Summarizing your experience using the template provided in the application and including a headshot or presentation photo. Please mention any awards, honors, etc.
Please email all documentation and the PowerPoint slide including a headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org.