Matthew works on a global team of Design Technologists at Amazon.com that focus on the conception, prototyping, and execution of custom interactive experiences across platforms. The Design Technology team aims to provide creative and technical expertise re: software design, development, and iterative prototyping to help inform design through their deep understanding of the underlying technologies. The team experiments, designs, develops, tests and then ships custom products that surprise and delight Amazon customers.
In his own words, “At Amazon, Design Technologists are pioneers in interactive experiences and don’t operate to a spec, we define it. We dedicate time to testing new ideas and concepts, staying current with emerging technology, and strive to iterate quickly.”
- Doing is knowing. Many new ideas need to be experienced to be understood. We rapidly bring ideas to the right level of done to understand, change, or discard them.
- We embrace moonshots. We’re optimistic about what can be done, never saying we can’t do something if we haven’t tried.
- Creativity loves constraints. We are not afraid of working within bounds, and see constraints as an opportunity to find clever solutions.
- If the shoe fits. We leverage every existing resource, idea, system, and technology available to bring ideas to life as fast as possible.
- Focus on the question. We create prototypes aimed at answering specific UX questions and with the goal of being able to clearly identify next steps at the end of the process.
- It’s a group sprint, not a relay race. We get involved with Design partners at the beginning of an idea, when we can be the most influential.