Process and Details
Eligibility and Approval Process
To be eligible to participate in Drexel University's International Co-op program, you must:
- Attend Drexel full-time
- Be in good academic standing (a minimum GPA of 2.0)
- Have successfully completed at least one co-op experience with an acceptable or above average evaluation or, in lieu of a co-op experience, equivalent prior work experience will be considered and evaluated
- Meet with a Steinbright International Co-op Team member
- Before accepting a position abroad, you must have been approved to do an international co-op and have had your job description reviewed and approved by your co-op advisor, both are required
Salary and Compensation
Compensation for international co-ops can vary. In order to help students pursue international co-op opportunities, Steinbright offers several financial awards (See Financial Awards section below).
Students are responsible for all expenses associated with their international experiences including such items as roundtrip airfare, health insurance, accommodations, local transportation and other living expenses. In some cases employers may assist with airfare and housing.
*Worldwide earnings are subject to U.S. Federal taxation. Local and state taxes vary. Tax treaties may apply.
Drexel International Co-op Fund
Students with a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher, participating in an international co-op, are eligible for an award to be used for travel, housing, etc.
There is no special application for the award; all eligible students approved for international co-op will be considered, assuming that all required paperwork is submitted within the first ten business days of their co-op.
Freeman Foundation (East and Southeast Asia)
Drexel University has a new source of funding for U.S. citizens only through the Freeman Foundation. The Freeman Foundation funding is designed to support undergraduate students who are participating in an international co-op experience in East and Southeast Asia. The goal of the Foundation is to increase the number of U.S. Citizens studying and working in Asia, with the purpose of allowing them to gain exposure to its people and culture. To be eligible to receive this funding, students must:
- Register an international co-op experience in one of the following countries: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, or Vietnam
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be matriculated as a full-time student at Drexel University
- Be in good academic standing (a minimum GPA of 2.5)
- Have some prior work experience, either through Drexel's co-op program, or the equivalent
- Complete an interview with a Steinbright International Co-op Team member
Upon returning to the U.S., students are asked to be a Freeman ambassador in an effort to encourage others to go abroad. This could be done by participating in workshops or meetings and by sharing tips and experiences.
For more information about co-op opportunities in East and Southeast Asia, please contact the International Co-op Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.