Requirements for University Recommendation and Application
Changes to the University Recommendation for the 2022 Medical and Dental School Application Cycle
Effective October 2020
The Drexel University Health Professions Committee recognizes the significant impact that COVID-19 has had on academics, research, extracurricular activities, and opportunities for community service and clinical exposure as well as the personal and financial challenges faced by students, alumni, and families. In light of these issues, the University Health Professions Committee is suspending the evaluative University Recommendation for the 2022 medical and dental school application cycle and is instead offering a narrative committee letter. Additionally, the application criteria for the narrative summary letter are different from those of the evaluative University Recommendation, and these criteria take into consideration the impact of COVID-19 on academics and co-curricular activities. Note that there is a prompt in the Prehealth Committee Letter Application where students and alumni can discuss the impact of COVID-19 on their academic, co-curricular, and professional activities and plans.
Importantly, the letterhead for Prehealth Committee Letter will explain the change from the evaluative University Recommendation to the narrative Prehealth Committee Letter. Medical and Dental School Admissions Committees are invited to contact Mary Beth Davis, PhD, Drexel Prehealth Advisor, email@example.com, if they have questions or would like more information about this process.
Note that medical and dental schools refer to applicants and the application process by the intended year of matriculation. This 2022 Prehealth Committee Letter, therefore, refers to applicants who are planning to apply to medical or dental school in the summer of 2021 for matriculation in August 2022.
Prehealth Committee Letter for the 2022 Medical and Dental School Application Cycle
The 2022 Drexel University Prehealth Committee Letter will be a narrative summary of the applicant's undergraduate, and where applicable post-undergraduate experiences, which will provide background and context to the applicant's motivation and preparation for a career in medicine or dentistry.
- The letter will be based upon information provided by the applicant in the Prehealth Committee Letter application and from an individual interview with one of the Committee members.
- There will be no ranking of applicants, and no level of recommendation will be generated or included in the Prehealth Committee Letter.
- The Drexel Prehealth Advisor will only submit the Drexel Prehealth Committee Letter to AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS/AADSAS application services. No recommendation letters will be collected by the Drexel Prehealth Advisor.
- Due to the changes from an evaluative committee letter to a narrative summary committee letter, it will be necessary for applicants to obtain additional recommendation letters from science faculty and other supervisors. The narrative summary committee letter will not serve as a substitute for obtaining individual recommendations from science faculty and other supervisors.
- Applicants are responsible for asking science faculty and other supervisors to submit their recommendation letters to AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS/AADSAS.
Application Process and Selection Criteria for the Prehealth Committee Letter
Eligibility for the Prehealth Committee Letter
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student seeking a bachelor's degree and who completed prerequisite sciences at Drexel. Transfer students who completed the core premedical/predental science courses at another college will be assessed on a case by case basis. Transfer students should email the Prehealth Advisor to assess their individual situations.
- Alumni who completed a bachelor's degree at Drexel University and who completed prerequisite science courses at Drexel University
- Students and alumni who applied in past application cycles for a University Recommendation and were not selected are welcome to apply for the Prehealth Committee Letter.
- Alumni currently enrolled in a postbaccalaureate premedical/prehealth program or a graduate program in science or public health must first check with the program's advisors to see if the program provides a Premedical/Predental Committee Letter for its students. If the program does provide a committee letter, Drexel alumni should work with their graduate/postbac program's advisors to adhere to their Committee Letter process.
- A recommendation letter from the Drexel University Health Professions Committee is only valid for the application cycle in which it was granted. Past recipients of the University Recommendation will need to re-apply for a Prehealth Committee Letter for the 2022 application cycle. A separate re-application form will be available in the late winter for students and alumni who received a University Recommendation in past application cycles.
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and a minimum undergraduate science and math GPA of 3.0. The science and math GPA includes courses from the biology, chemistry, physics, and math departments.
- Minimum grade of C in medical and dental school prerequisite courses.
- Starting with the spring 2020 quarter, for all courses with a grade of Pass, the Committee will not ask the applicant to reveal the actual grade, and the Pass grade will be considered as meeting requirements for the Prehealth Committee Letter
- Participation in activities that have promoted an understanding of medicine or dentistry, research, or community service. The type, length, and duration of the activity will vary among applicants and will be considered holistically in the context of the impact of COVID-19 and with respect to each applicant's entire application.
- The deadline for submitting the online application for the 2022 Prehealth Committee Letter is Friday January 15, 2021 at 10 p.m. ET.
- Please access the Preview Application for the online application. Note, however, applicants must submit an online application form. Individualized links to the online 2022 Prehealth Committee Letter Application will be available after Thanksgiving break. You will need to email Mary Beth Davis, PhD, (firstname.lastname@example.org), the Prehealth Advisor, to receive an individualized link to the application.
Applicants not selected in January 2021 to receive the Prehealth Committee Letter – Opportunities for feedback and to re-apply for the Prehealth Committee Letter in May 2021
- Applicants not selected in January 2021 to receive the Prehealth Committee Letter will have the opportunity to schedule a meeting with one of the Prehealth Committee Co-Chairs to get feedback on the application. Applicants can choose to re-apply for the Prehealth Committee Letter in the spring 2021 quarter.
The deadline for the re-application for the 2022 Prehealth Committee Letter is Tuesday May 11, 2021.
Timeline for Submission of Prehealth Committee Letters to AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS/AADSAS
- For applicants who are selected to receive the Prehealth Committee Letter in January 2021, the Prehealth Committee Letters will be submitted by mid-June 2021.
- For re-applicants who are selected to receive the Prehealth Committee Letter in May 2021, the Prehealth Committee Letter will be submitted by mid-July 2021.
If you have questions after reviewing Preview 2022 Prehealth Committee Letter Application, please email Mary Beth Davis, PhD, Prehealth Advisor, email@example.com.