Provost’s Council to Set Action Plan for Global Engagement
Below is a message from Executive Vice President and Nina Henderson Provost M. Brian Blake, PhD:
As part of an initiative to refresh our approach to international study and other forms of interaction with globally-minded colleagues, institutions, and communities abroad as well as locally, I, in close partnership with our Office of Global Engagement, am establishing a standing council in the Provost’s Office to map out a university-wide action plan for global engagement at Drexel.
I am delighted that Professor Rogelio Miñana, PhD, of the College of Arts and Sciences, has accepted to chair and convene the new Global Engagement Council, whose members were drawn from among faculty and internationally-involved administrators. The Council will convene this term and work for a year to develop a comprehensive strategy for global engagement, as well as guide us in re-envisioning the charge for leadership in this very important area underlying the Provost’s Office. This Council will work in coordination with current University Strategic Planning efforts.
As announced earlier, Koren A. Bedeau, PhD, vice provost for academic programs and strategic initiatives, is serving as interim vice provost for global engagement in the office created by her predecessor, Julie Mostov, PhD. Through Dr. Bedeau’s excellent leadership, the office is exploring ways to enhance our global initiatives to expand partnerships and international opportunities for Drexel students and faculty, and will provide oversight of the new Council’s work.
Members of the Global Engagement Council:
- Rogelio Miñana, PhD, Department Head and Professor, Department of Global Studies and Modern Languages, College of Arts and Sciences (Chair)
- Brian Blake, PhD, Executive Vice President and Nina Henderson Provost
- Koren Bedeau, PhD, Vice Provost for Academic Programs and Strategic Initiatives, Interim Vice Provost for Global Engagement and Education Abroad
- Daniela Ascarelli, Associate Vice Provost for Global Engagement, Director of Drexel Education Abroad, Office of Global Engagement and Education Abroad
- Jeannie D’Agostino, Director, International Admissions
- Sujoy Das, Assistant Vice Provost, Office of Planning and Institutional Research
- Rubie Ghazal, PhD, Director of English Language Center
- Yury Gogotsi, PhD, Charles T. and Ruth M. Bach Distinguished University Professor, Director, Drexel Nanomaterials Institute
- Jane Greene Ryan, PhD, Associate Professor, College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Vibhas Madan, PhD, Senior Associate Dean and Professor, LeBow College of Business
- Kara Spiller, PhD, Assistant Professor, School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems
- Harris Steinberg, FAIA, Distinguished Teaching Professor, Executive Director, Lindy Institute for Urban Innovation
- Josie Yaller, Assistant Director, International Students and Scholar Services
- Michael Yudell, PhD, Chair and Associate Professor, Community Health and Prevention, Dornsife School of Public Health
- Adam Zahn, Associate Director of Global Engagement and Strategic Networks, Office of Global Engagement and Education Abroad.
My thanks to Dr. Miñana for heading up the new Council, and I am confident that the Council’s recommendations will be a great help in shaping a dynamic expansion and improvement of Drexel’s interactions around the world.
M. Brian Blake
Executive Vice President and Nina Henderson Provost