Heard Around Campus — January 2016
The New Year is getting off on the right foot, with good news for online programs and for dieters looking for extra motivation to keep their resolutions. ICYMI, here’s an update of campus developments so far this year.
Drexel University Online Ranked Among the Best
Drexel’s online programs were ranked among the best in the nation in the latest U.S. News & World Report Best Online Programs rankings. Drexel ranked eighth nationwide for its online graduate information technology programs and performed well in a number of other areas. The University ranked among the nation’s best for online graduate programs in engineering (No. 24), nursing (No. 42) and education (No. 53). The University’s online bachelor’s programs were also ranked among the top in the nation.
More than 6,700 unique students from all 50 states and more than 20 countries are pursuing an online bachelor's, master's, doctorate or certificate through Drexel University. Overall, there are more than 13,000 Drexel students taking at least one course online.
A complete list of U.S. News & World Report rankings is available at www.usnews.com/online.
Participants Needed for Study of 'Emotional Eating'
Researchers in Drexel’s Laboratory for Innovations in Health-Related Behavior Change are recruiting for a new study designed to help participants curb a desire to eat when unhappy or stressed.
The study includes a four-hour treatment workshop on the University City campus, and questionnaires completed over a three-month follow-up period. Participants must be 18 years, and will be paid up to $80 for participation.
To volunteer or to learn more about the study, call 215.553.7100 or email EmotionalEatingStudy@drexel.edu.
• College of Nursing and Health Professions Consolidation, Three Parkway — As the final administrative offices for CNHP relocate from the Bellet Building to Three Parkway, Drexel is now the largest tenant in the Three Parkway building at 1601 Cherry St. The University has erected backlit signage on three sides of the 20-story building, a prominent marker of Drexel’s presence in Center City.
• New College Building, First Floor Library, 24-Hour Student Study Space — Drexel University Libraries recently relocated the 24-Hour Student Study Space to the first floor of the Library within the New College Building. Over Winter Break, the Student Study Space was completely renovated: existing carpet was replaced with new carpet tiles, the majority of existing furniture was replaced to create multiple study space options, and the electrical distribution was improved to work with the new layout.
• Pearlstein Business Learning Center Renovation (Close School of Entrepreneurship) — Construction is in progress for renovations on the fourth floor of the Pearlstein Business Learning Center for the Close School of Entrepreneurship. Substantial completion and beneficial occupancy are expected in March 2016.
• Bossone Research Enterprise Center Renovations — Demolition will commence in February for repurposing the sixth floor for biomedical engineering and adding chemical fume hoods to the fifth floor.
• Renovation to the Center for Automation Technology (CAT) — Infrastructure improvements needed to support new wet research laboratories for the Department of Chemistry, as well as the environmental engineering component of the Institute for Energy and the Environment laboratories, are in progress. Construction drawings are to be completed by the end of March 2016.
• Graduate College Suite (Main Building-3rd Floor) — The construction of an office for the Graduate College is in progress, with substantial completion targeted for February 2016.
• LeBow Engineering Center Chiller Plant Upgrade Phase 2 — The renovation of the LeBow Engineering Center chiller plant is in progress, with substantial completion scheduled for April 1. The chiller plant currently serves both the LeBow Engineering Center and Center for Automation Technology (CAT). The new chiller plant infrastructure is sized to handle the cooling loads for the existing buildings, future CAT renovation and potential Calhoun Animal Lab renovation located in the basement of the LeBow Engineering Center.
• Paul Peck Problem Solving and Research Building HVAC Renovation — The HVAC renovation is in progress, with substantial completion scheduled for the end of January 2016.
For a complete update on the status of major campus projects, visit drexel.edu/facilities/design/currentProjects/.