Dr. Alma Dea Morani repairs the damaged fingers of a patient in the Hand Clinic, undated
Dr. Alma Dea Morani was born in 1907 in New York City. She graduated from Woman’s Medical College in 1931, and was the first female surgical resident at Woman’s Med from 1932 to 1935. She was assistant surgeon until 1938, when she began studying plastic surgery. Dr. Morani is best known as the first female plastic surgeon in the United States. She returned to Woman’s Medical College in 1948 and served in various positions as lecturer and clinical professor until 1975. The Hand Clinic at Woman’s Medical College Hospital was founded by Dr. Morani in 1948, and served as practical instruction for the students.