Use and Reproduction of Materials
For non-Drexel users, reproductions are provided under agreement for the purposes indicated by the users of these services.
Usage fees provide the Legacy Center with funding that goes toward supporting our mission of stewardship and access to historical materials.
Payment can be made by check or credit card. International payments may require a different payment means.
All reproduction requests are subject to the archivist's approval. Materials will be duplicated only if their condition is stable enough to withstand the process.
Bear in mind that depending on how you wish to use the images, usage rights fees may apply.
Scans of items not already digitized
Reference scans: Free
A small percentage of items can be scanned as low-cost, black and white reference scans. The archivist can tell you whether this is possible for your request.
B/W pdf files, up to 150 pages.
Items requiring special handling: $30/hour billed in 1/2-hour increments. $30 minimum.
Includes flatbed scanning or overhead camera capture, or reproduction orders in excess of 150 pages.
Standard resolution for digital capture is 400 dpi in TIF or JPEG formats.
All files will be delivered electronically.
We accept payment by check or credit card.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
2900 West Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19129
Use fee includes non-exclusive world rights, one-time (one edition), one-use, single language publication rights.
For-profit corporations, partnerships, private businesses, and individuals:
- Editorial use: $80.00
Within books, periodicals, films, video productions, and other published works
- Advertising and other non-editorial uses: $200.00
Such as book covers, end papers, unbound materials, post cards, posters, brochures, etc.
Non-profit corporations and government agencies:
- Editorial use: $50.00
- Advertising and other non-editorial uses: $100.00
NOTE: The rates above cover either print or eBook/online publication use. If both print and eBook/online use is requested, the rates are 50% higher. For example, the fee for non-profit editorial use of one image within both a printed (paper) book and eBook would be $75.
Images for exhibition or display purposes only. Fees do not include any publication rights or permissions for other uses.
For-profit corporations, partnerships, private businesses, and individuals: $120.00
Prints for display in offices, public spaces of commercial buildings, restaurants, private and corporate galleries, and retail spaces.
Non-profit corporations and government agencies: $20.00
Prints for exhibition by museums, schools, and other non-profit organizations or for use by individuals in other settings
Images for public lectures, classroom instruction, and business presentations. Fees do not include any publication rights or permissions for other uses.
For-profit corporations: $120.00
Non-profit organizations: $20.00
Images for use on a website or other Internet use. Fees are quoted upon request.
Conditions of Use
Conditions governing use of reproductions are specified in a contractual agreement, to be signed both by the user and a representative of the Legacy Center, and are listed below.
- Use the photographic copy only once and only for the purpose stated in the agreement. Re-use of an image for the same purpose or any subsequent edition, different languages, online, eBook, etc. must be applied for in writing. There is a reuse fee. Any scanned images must be deleted from computer files after the one-time use is completed.
- Credit properly. The credit line as stated in the agreement must be used as specified. When provided, the photographer’s name must also be included in the credit line.
Please credit as specified:
- With printed matter, it is preferred that the credit line appear on the same or facing page as the illustration. Crediting of each individual item is mandatory in all cases.
- With films, videotapes, DVDs, etc., include the credit with the other “Sources of Illustrations.” In manuals that accompany such productions, credit at the point where the illustration is discussed.
- With exhibitions, credit within the exhibition area.
- Give the Legacy Center one complimentary copy of any published work in which the photographic copy appears (moving image products excepted).
- If changes to the original image are required, e.g. taking a detail or cropping, request permission to make those changes.
- Do not permit others to reproduce the photographic copy or any facsimile of it.
- The granting of permission to publish by the Legacy Center does not absolve users of materials from securing permission from copyright owners and payment of such additional fees as the owners may require if the Legacy Center does not own copyright or if the material is not in the public domain.
- In permitting the publication of a copy, the Legacy Center does not surrender their own rights to publish it, or to grant permission to others to do so.
- The Legacy Center may opt to not reproduce items deemed too fragile or difficult to image.
- Any exceptions or additions to the above conditions will appear on, and be considered part of, the letter agreement.
Order Fulfillment and Delivery
Processing a copy order will begin upon receipt of: 1) the signed original copy of the Agreement for Reproduction and/or Publication and 2) advance payment of all use fees and production charges.
The Legacy Center provides users with digital copies delivered online. We no longer provide hardcopies or ship files on electronic media (discs, flash drives, etc.) except by special request and with associated fees.
For rush orders requiring turnaround in less than 7 days, a 100% surcharge will be added to the total order.
Special Conditions and Fees
Re-use fees: All requests for reuse or change in use must be applied for in writing. Reuse fees for the same use are normally one half of the current fee. Reuse fees for different uses are the current fee. Requests for Non-exclusive World Rights, in all languages and editions, will be considered and fees can be quoted upon request.
Special fees: Rates for other uses not listed in this schedule can be quoted upon request. All fees listed are subject to change without notice.
Non-Profit Fee Eligibility
We are pleased to support the missions of non-profit organizations by providing reduced rates. For-profit corporations, partnerships, private businesses, and individuals working for, or with, non-profit organizations and government agencies on projects or publications sponsored by those organizations may be eligible to receive non-profit rates with suitable letters of identification.
Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyright material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that use may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgement, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the copyright law. The granting of permission to publish by the Legacy Center does not absolve users of materials from securing permission from copyright owners and payment of such additional fees as the owners may require if the Legacy Center does not own copyright or if the material is not in the public domain. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and in the use made of the photographic copy.