Programs, Events, and Opportunities
First Forward hosts a variety of events each year for first-generation students, faculty, staff, and their allies. Some examples of our regular events are below:
Programs and Events
- Fall Mixer: This is an opportunity for students, faculty, and staff who are first-generation college students to come together informally for conversation and networking.
- National First-Gen Day: November 8 honors the anniversary of the signing of the Higher Education Act of 1965 to open higher education to minorities and those from low-income backgrounds. Drexel celebrates by hosting a week-long series of events.
- Lunch and Learn Series: An ongoing series of lunchtime round-table discussions open to all interested students, faculty, and staff. Previous topics have included "What I Wish I knew about Academics" and "What I Wish I knew about Life on Campus."
- Spring Welcome Back Mixer: Held at the beginning of spring quarter and intended to give students returning from co-op an opportunity to connect or reconnect to First Forward, this mixer is open to all Drexel students, faculty, and staff.
- Graduation Celebration: An opportunity to recognize the graduation of first-generation seniors and graduate students.
Other Ways to Get Involved
Current Drexel students can join the Dragon's First student organization.
Please note: all events will be held via Zoom. You will only need to complete one RSVP to register for all events.
Register for the Fall First Forward Event Series
What Does It Mean to Be First-Generation?
Date: Wednesday, September 29
Time: 4–5 p.m. ET
This conversation will focus on what it means to be a first-generation college student. This is an opportunity to talk about our experiences and identities, to unpack the hidden college curriculum, and to build and strengthen a network of support. Students at any level (including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students), staff, and faculty are all invited to attend.
Making New Friends: Finding Your Community within Drexel's Community
Date: Wednesday, October 13
Time: 3 p.m. ET
Has it been a while since you had to start a friendship from scratch? Are you unsure if you'll ever have that type of connection at Drexel? We're going to discuss tips and tools on how to turn these early moments with strangers to develop into valuable friendships and future connections.
FirstGen: Foundation in Finances
Date and Time (Undergraduate Students): Wednesday, November 10, 7–8 p.m. ET
Date and Time (Graduate Students): Wednesday, November 10, 8–9 p.m. ET
During these hour-long sessions we plan to discuss general financing information and budgeting tips, loan repayment, and how to read the Drexel eBill. This information will be presented by members of Drexel Central, the one-stop shop for billing and financial aid information at Drexel University.
There are currently no events scheduled.