For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Frequently Asked Questions

Course Program of Study (CPoS) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

What is CPoS?

CPoS stands for Course Program of Study. CPoS is a tool used to audit student course registration against the curriculum for that program. A Program of Study includes all the courses needed to earn a specific degree, including all types of courses and electives that fulfill degree requirements. For general information about the curriculum required by a degree, major, or minor, students should refer to the Course Catalog. Students can track their progression within the curriculum by using the worksheets available in DegreeWorks via DrexelOne.

What types of aid are affected by CPoS?

Disbursement of federal aid (i.e., Pell Grant, Work Study, SEOG, and Direct Loans) is based on coursework that counts toward the Course Program of Study. State and Veteran Assistance programs, such as Vocational Rehab, are also subject to the same regulatory restrictions. Students have until the end of the add/drop period each term to ensure their courses meet the minimums required for full aid. To view details on the financial aid they are receiving, students should check the Billing and Financial Aid tab on DrexelOne and select each listed type. Any questions should be directed to Drexel Central.

How does a student know if they are affected by CPoS?

The worksheet in DegreeWorks will be compared to the term registration. If the minimum credits are not met, Drexel Central will send the student an alert to their Drexel email address. The process is run daily so students will know, even after registration revisions have been made, if they are still not meeting the minimums.

What happens if the minimum credit hours of required courses are not met?

Students whose registration does not meet the minimum requirements have two options:

  1. Add more courses that are CPoS eligible to reach the minimum number of credits needed for full aid.

  2. OR

  3. Decide that reduced aid for the number of credits toward degree requirements is acceptable. If this results in a balance due, the student will be responsible for paying this out of pocket to fully satisfy their Drexel bill.

How are scholarships affected by CPoS?

University and private scholarships are not affected by the Course Program of Study. Only federal and state financial aid is affected.

What if I don't know what I want to major in yet? How does CPoS apply?

At Drexel, all students have a Plan of Study, even if enrolled in an Undecided, Undeclared, or First-Year Exploratory Studies program. All students should use a DegreeWorks worksheet to create a plan for coursework and registration with their advisor. Once a major has been selected, it is important to get it promptly declared for CPoS to run accurately. The same holds true for a second major or a minor, so that the Course Plan of Study in DegreeWorks is accurate and up-to-date.

How does CPoS work with Senior Exception?

Drexel's Senior Exception policy allows students who have applied for their degree to maintain eligibility for institutional aid, at a prorated amount, when they are registered for less than 12 credits in their final two quarters. CPoS reviews a student’s eligibility for federal aid. A student may be reviewed for both Senior Exception and CPoS. For more information about the proration of institutional aid under Senior Exception, please review the Senior Exception page.

When is it OK to take courses that are not required by a degree or certificate?

Students may take classes that are not required, as long as the minimum credits threshold is met, because there is not additional tuition expense beyond those minimums. Students will not be prevented from registering for courses outside their Plan of Study, but they will be notified by Drexel Central about the financial aid implications with an opportunity to make changes accordingly. Students should consider the implications for registration in future terms. To qualify for full federal and state financial aid, students must meet the rules each term. Therefore, it is important to think through the Plan of Study right from the start of a degree program to ensure that there are enough remaining required credits to satisfy the minimum required credits each term through to graduation. However, if the student chooses to remain registered for courses that fall outside of their plan, the consequences will be final after the add/drop period.

What if CPoS doesn’t recognize a required course(s) as satisfying requirements?

Students who believe CPoS is not counting a course satisfying degree requirements should contact their academic advisor. It is possible that a course substitution is required or that there is a misunderstanding about the requirements. This should be done before the end of add/drop so that aid disbursement for the term is accurate.

How will courses needed for double majors, dual majors, and minors be treated?

Double majors and minors (co-majors, dual, double, additional certificates) must be officially declared and reflected in DegreeWorks requirements by the end of the add/drop period each term to be considered eligible coursework by CPoS. Programs that are officially declared by the end of add/drop and reflect in DegreeWorks should be considered eligible coursework by CPoS. If you need assistance officially declaring a major, minor, or certificate, please connect with your academic advisor. As a reminder, not all certificates will be considered eligible coursework by CPoS. Generally, if a certificate is eligible for federal aid on its own, then it will be considered eligible. Certificates that are not eligible for federal aid, however, may count as an elective. If a student is unsure whether a certificate is federal aid eligible, they should contact Drexel Central. To review how a certificate may fit into a Plan of Study, please connect with your academic advisor.

How will elective courses noted in the Plan of Study be treated?

If a Plan of Study has no specified list of electives, then any course will count as long as open elective credits exist in the Plan of Study. If a Plan of Study has specific courses that count as electives, then only those will be eligible unless a program-approved adjustment is made in DegreeWorks by the academic advisor.

Are students on co-op eligible for aid?

Students who have been placed in a co-op position are eligible for federal and state financial aid while on co-op. They are not eligible for Drexel institutional aid while placed in industry.

Does Honors Program coursework affect CPoS?

Honors Program coursework is supplemental to a student’s Plan of Study, and therefore will not count toward the minimum credits required for full aid. Students in the honors program should consult with both their honors and academic advisors about requirements and how to register.