The Drexel Founding Collection’s paintings are primarily 19th century European Academic paintings from the Barbizon School and Dusseldorf Academy. Many of the paintings were donated by Anthony J. Drexel’s brother-in-law, John D. Lankenau, in 1901 leading to the creation of the Lankenau Picture Gallery, now A.J. Drexel Picture Gallery, located on the third floor of the Main Building. The Founding Collection also has the largest collection of paintings by Francis Martin Drexel, the father of Anthony J. Drexel and founder of the Drexel & Co. bank. Other notable sections of the painting collection include portraits of Drexel family members, Drexel University presidents and portraits of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania and Hahnemann faculty.
Back to Top
Please be advised that some of the images in this online gallery may include derogatory, offensive, of graphic images or original language and may not be suitable for all viewers. All images, titles and inscriptions are products of their time and their creators and not the views of the Drexel Founding Collection. The Drexel Founding Collection continues to catalog the works of art in the collection while addressing shifts in language and society. We appreciate any input to improve our cataloging efforts and the understanding of our collection.