Clocks and Watches
There are a surprising number of clocks throughout Drexel University’s campuses. Among the clocks in the Drexel Founding Collection is the famous David Rittenhouse astronomical, musical tall-case clock from 1773. The clock was donated to Drexel in 1894 by George W. Childs, Anthony J. Drexel’s best friend, owner of the Philadelphia Public Ledger and board member for Drexel Institute. The Rittenhouse clock is on permanent view in the Paul Peck Center Gallery at 32nd & Market Streets. Other clocks visitors will see around campus are the monumental conical clock by Eugene Farcot and Albert Ernest Carrier-Belleuse located in the Great Court of the Main Building, which is one of the largest conical clocks made and at the time of its purchase at the 1867 Parisian Exposition was the most expensive clock in the world. These two notable clocks are joined in the collection by a remarkable chatelaine watch by Johann Christian Neuber which is said to have belonged to Marie Antoinette.
Back to Top
Please be advised that some of the images in this online gallery may include derogatory, offensive, of graphic images or original language and may not be suitable for all viewers. All images, titles and inscriptions are products of their time and their creators and not the views of the Drexel Founding Collection. The Drexel Founding Collection continues to catalog the works of art in the collection while addressing shifts in language and society. We appreciate any input to improve our cataloging efforts and the understanding of our collection.