FOCUS Culture Camps
Through our partnership with the Fire Department Safety Officers Association (FDSOA) and FEMA FP&S grant funding, we are able to provide the opportunity to attend a FOCUS Culture Camp. Culture Camps have been held across the country and to date the FIRST Center has trained over 180 fire service members. With our current FEMA FP&S grant funding, FIRST will train an additional 200 fire service members across 10 Culture Camps.
This two-day training educates fire service members on the relevance of safety culture and the utility of their department's FOCUS survey results. FOCUS Culture Camps are held in diverse locations across the country and include a diverse mix of fire departments in each Camp - geographically, large and small, career and volunteer. To ensure a rich learning experience for all, Camps include a maximum of 20 participants each.
FOCUS Culture Camp Curriculum includes:
- an interactive session working with real fire department data to help participants better understand their FOCUS results
- a teach-back session to better prepare participants for reporting back their results to their department
- best practices for survey administration and re-assessment with FOCUS
- a binder of Culture Camp materials and additional resources for safety culture improvement
Past Culture Camp Participants have said...
“This training takes you into the world of data and science. Learning to understand data and science allows departments to go deeper into the world of safety. In time this will allow facts to be the rule in place of opinion or theory.”
“I believe the part where we broke down the data for our organization was the most enjoyable. It helped me understand more about my organization and what I must do when I return home to prepare our people for the future of improving our safety culture. It showed me that the people are the ones that create the safety culture in any organization.”
How can my Department Participate in a FOCUS Culture Camp?
- All departments who have assessed with FOCUS are eligible to send two members to represent their department at a FOCUS Culture Camp
- Participants are enrolled in Culture Camps on a first-come, first-served basis
- All expenses are covered by our FEMA FP&S grant funding (inclusive of travel, lodging, and meals)
For more information please contact Senior Project Manager, Andrea Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org