Students Participate in Fourth Annual Public Health Case Competition at Dornsife
February 23, 2023
On Wednesday, February 22, 2023, the Dornsife School of Public Health (DSPH) held its fourth annual Public Health Case Competition.
DSPH undergraduate and master’s students in five interdisciplinary teams created solutions for addressing food insecurity and food injustice in Philadelphia. The teams had over two weeks to collaborate on solutions to the issue and then present their ideas virtually to a panel of judges. Teams were each assigned to a faculty mentor who provided guidance.
In addition to their presentation, teams were tasked with creating an infographic summarizing issues implicated by the way that an iconic Philly Food (i.e. pretzel, mushrooms, tomato pie) is produced and delivered and recommendations for improvements, including the tangible public health outcomes. Teams were also tasked with laying out their recommendations clearly in a way that both government officials and community members could understand.
The infographics (pictured below) were open to viewing and voting by the public and the DSPH community. The one with the most votes received the People’s Choice Award.
Congratulations to the winners!
Winner: Team 4 ($1,000 awarded to the team)
Honorable Mention: Team 1 ($500 awarded to the team)
People’s Choice: Team 5 ($500 awarded to the team)
All 2023 Competitors and Their Infographics
Team #1: Emmy Shingara (MPH-Epi) and Miliani Smith (UG-MPH)
Team #2: Grace Castle (UG-PH), Arya Amaro (UG-PH), and Alison Long (UG-PH)
Team #3: Vishwa Desai (MPH-Epi), Neha Yadav (MPH-Epi), and Neha Yadav (MPH-Epi)
Team #4: Linh Nguyen (MPH-Epi), Anil Kumar (MPH-Epi), Emily Lincoln (MPH-EOH), Asha-Leigh Ashton (MPH-EOH), and James Adam Bilodeau (MPH-HMP)
Team #5: Anita Nwabueze (MPH-HMP) and Bikiltu Dirbaba (MPH-Epi)
2023 Judges Panel
- Tara McAlexander, PhD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, DSPH
- Melissa Kaufman, EdD, Executive Director of Instructional Design and Educational Operations, DSPH
- Guadalupe (Lupe) Diaz, Goodwill Ambassador, Director of the HEALTH Food Pantry, AIDS Care Group
2023 DSPH Faculty Team Mentors and Case Reviewers
- Neal D. Goldstein, PhD, MBI, Associate Professor of Epidemiology
- Yvonne Michael, ScD, SM, Professor of Epidemiology
- Edward Gracely , PhD, Associate Professor of Biostatistics
- Michael LeVasseur, PhD, MPH, Assistant Teaching Professor of Epidemiology
- Esther Chernak, MD, MPH, FACP, Clinical Professor and Director of the Center for Public Health Readiness and Communication
- Jennifer Kolker, MPH,
Clinical Professor of Health Management and Policy, Associate Dean for Public Health Practice and External Relations, and Director of the Center for Public Health Practice
- Sherry Brandt-Rauf, MPhil, JD,
Associate Teaching Professor
Environmental and Occupational Health
Special thanks to the lead event organizer, Tariem Burroughs, MSEd, MSODL, MA, Director of Experiential Learning and Career Services, as well as the judging panel and DSPH mentors/case reviewers!