For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Bioengineering for Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine: From Nano to Macro and Combined

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

4:00 PM-5:30 PM

BIOMED Seminar

Bioengineering for Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine: From Nano to Macro and Combined

Jake Brenner, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Department of Pharmacology
University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Brenner spends 20 percent of his time taking care of patients in the ICU, and the other 80 percent developing new technologies to treat the diseases he battles in the hospital. He develops both macro-scale technologies and nano-scale technologies, with a special emphasis on technologies that combine the two scales. In this talk, Dr. Brenner will focus on his nano/macro hybrid technologies for delivery of drugs to treat critical illnesses, such as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and stroke.

Dr. Jake Brenner is an Assistant Professor at the University of Pennsylvania (Penn), in both the Pulmonary & Critical Care Division and the Department of Pharmacology. He did his MD, PhD, and residency at Stanford University. Also while at Stanford, he trained in the Stanford Biodesign Program in medical technology, inventing two medical devices, both of which formed the basis of venture-funded companies, and one which is now an FDA-approved, first-in-class product. Dr. Brenner next moved to Penn to in 2012 do his fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, and joined the faculty there in 2016.

Contact Information

Ken Barbee

Remind me about this event. Notify me if this event changes. Add this event to my personal calendar.


Papadakis Integrated Sciences Building (PISB), Room 120, located on the northeast corner of 33rd and Chestnut Streets.


  • Undergraduate Students
  • Graduate Students
  • Faculty
  • Staff