About Biomedical Engineering STEM Summer Camp - Home Edition Plus
Please note that we have moved to an ONLINE camp with additional live components. We will be using virtual meetings, as well as a virtual interactive lab simulation software.
The BIOMED Summer Academy is a 1-week STEM program at Drexel University in Philadelphia that provides high school students with insight into one of STEM's most exciting fields, Biomedical Engineering. For July 2020, there are three sessions available for the weeks of July 6-10, July 13-17, and July 20-24.
- Monday, 10:30 AM – 1:00 PM
- Meet and Greet with students, staff, and mentors, plus Health Challenge kickoff.
- Tuesday – Thursday, 10:30 AM – 3:30 PM
- Friday, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Participants will be introduced to laboratory and core research skills through interactive, virtual hands-on learning activities. Students will also have the opportunity to explore the booming biomedical industry through virtual site visits, seminars, and presentations from industry experts.
A personal desktop or laptop computer with internet access is required. Your computer or laptop must have a camera and microphone (either built-in or USB connected). We recommend updating computer operating systems, browsers, and Flash plug-in before the start of your online session. Courses may use Blackboard Learn (BbL) or Google Hangouts for assignments and discussions. Students will receive all important links and information before the beginning of class.
High School Student Eligibility
This STEM summer program in biomedical engineering is available to rising high school juniors and seniors in the Philadelphia area and beyond. Admission to the program is competitive. Students must have taken one year of biology and have some interest in math, engineering, or health and life sciences. Preference is given to students with outstanding GPAs and teacher recommendations.
How to Apply
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The application deadline has been extended to Monday, June 22, 2020.
$600.00* – 50% reduced cost includes online virtual program (Labster). T-shirt and certificate will be sent after completion of the program.
*Need-based scholarships are available to students accepted to the BIOMED Summer Academy.
Need-Based Scholarship Information
Students will be selected to receive the scholarship based on financial need only. If you are interested in applying for the scholarship, the following information must be sent at the time of application:
- A 200-400 word essay, submitted in PDF format, explaining why you want to receive the scholarship and why you are a good candidate to receive the award. Please remember that scholarships are based on financial need.
- Current tax documentation, as well as any other applicable information from your parent(s)/guardian(s) that demonstrates financial need.
- Please note to apply for the scholarship within the application and/or email information to: Lisa T. Williams, Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Notification of scholarship decisions will be sent with program admission decision letters. Final deadline for all application materials has been extended to Monday, June 22, 2020.