Donald Buerk, PhD
Part-time Research Professor
School of Biomedical Engineering, Science & Health Systems
Office: LeBow 435-K
Donald G. Buerk earned his PhD in Chemical Engineering at Northwestern University and was a Postdoctoral Fellow as a National Institutes of Health (NIH) Trainee in Biomedical Engineering at Northwestern University and Evanston Hospital. He has had faculty research appointments at Louisiana Technical University in the Department of Biomedical Engineering; University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Ophthalmology, the Institute for Environmental Medicine, and the Department of Physiology (all in the School of Medicine), and in the Bioengineering Department of the School of Engineering; as well as at Drexel University in the Biomedical Engineering and Science Institute, and currently, in the School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems. Dr. Buerk has published in several journals and publications, including (among several others) the American Journal of Physiology; the Annals of Biomedical Engineering; Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology; Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology; and Current Eye Research. His research focuses on the areas of biotechnology, physiology, systems biology, blood flow, microcirculation, nitric oxide, and oxygen transport.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Northwestern University and Evanston Hospital, Evanston, IL, 1982
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, 1980
- MS in Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, 1976
- BS in Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, 1969
Biotechnology, physiology, systems biology, blood flow, microcirculation, nitric oxide, oxygen transport
- Andrews, A.M., Jaron, D., Buerk, D.G., and K.A.Barbee. Shear stress-induced NO production is dependent on ATP autocrine signaling and capacitative calcium entry. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, 7:510-20, 2014.
- Browning, B., Wang, H., Hong, N., Yu, K., Buerk, D.G., Patel, P., DeLeon, D., Feinstein, S.I., Fisher, A.B., and S. Chatterjee. Mechanotransduction drives post ischemic revascularization through KATP channel closure and production of reactive oxygen species. Antioxid Redox Signal, 20:872-886, 2014.
- Thom, T.R., Bhopale, V.M., Milovanova, T.N., Yang, M., Bogush, M., and D.G. Buerk. Nitric oxide synthase-2 linkage to focal adhesion kinase in neutrophils influences enzyme activity and β2 integrin function. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 288:4810-8, 2013.
- Thom, S.R., Yang, M., Bhopale, V.M., Milovanova, T.N., Bogush, M., and D.G. Buerk. Intra-microparticle nitrogen dioxide is a bubble nucleation site leading to decompression-induced neutrophil activation and vascular injury. Journal of Applied Physiology, 114:550-8, 2013.
- Chen, X., Buerk, D.G., Barbee, K.A., Kirby, P., and D. Jaron. 3D network model of NO transport in tissue. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 49: 633-647, 2011.
- Buerk, D.G., Barbee, K.A., and D. Jaron. Modeling O2-dependent effects of nitrite reductase activity in blood and tissue on coupled NO and O2 transport around arterioles. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 701: 271-276, 2011.
- Andrews, A.M., Jaron, D., Buerk, D.G., Kirby, P.L., and K.A. Barbee. Direct, real-time measurement of shear stress-induced nitric oxide produced from endothelial cells in vitro. Nitric Oxide, 23: 335-342, 2010.
- Buerk DG. Mathematical modeling of the interaction between oxygen, nitric oxide and superoxide. Adv Exp Med Biol 645: 7-12, 2009.
- Menon C, Bauer TW, Kelley ST, Raz DJ, Bleier JI, Patel K, Steele K, Prabakaran I, Shifrin A, Buerk DG, Sehgal CM, and Fraker DL. Tumoricidal activity of high-dose tumor necrosis factor-alpha is mediated by macrophage-derived nitric oxide burst and permanent blood flow shutdown. Int J Cancer 123: 464-475, 2008.
- Lowe G, Buerk DG, Ma J, and Gelperin A. Tonic and stimulus-evoked nitric oxide production in the mouse olfactory bulb. Neuroscience 153: 842-850, 2008.
- Hong D, Jaron D, Buerk DG, and Barbee KA. Transport-dependent calcium signaling in spatially segregated cellular caveolar domains. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294: C856-866, 2008.
- Nunemaker CS, Buerk DG, Zhang M, and Satin LS. Glucose-induced release of nitric oxide from mouse pancreatic islets as detected with nitric oxide-selective glass microelectrodes. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292: E907-912, 2007.
- Gallagher KA, Liu ZJ, Xiao M, Chen H, Goldstein LJ, Buerk DG, Nedeau A, Thom SR, and Velazquez OC. Diabetic impairments in NO-mediated endothelial progenitor cell mobilization and homing are reversed by hyperoxia and SDF-1alpha. J Clin Invest 117: 1249-1259, 2007.
- Chen X, Buerk DG, Barbee KA, and Jaron D. A model of NO/O2 transport in capillary-perfused tissue containing an arteriole and venule pair. Ann Biomed Eng 35: 517-529, 2007.
- Buerk DG. Nitric oxide regulation of microvascular oxygen. Antioxid Redox Signal 9: 829-843, 2007.