Margaret Wheatley, PhD, received her BS in Chemistry from Oxford University, UK, and an MS in Biochemistry from the same institution. She saw the engineering light and pursued her PhD in Chemical Engineering at the University of Toronto, Canada. She went on to do post doctoral research with Dr. Robert Langer at MIT, Boston, investigating controlled drug delivery. Subsequently, after a three-year taste of industry at the Glaxo Smith Kline research facility at King of Prussia, PA, she joined Drexel's Department of Chemical Engineering as the department's first female faculty member in 1987. In 1998, Dr .Wheatley moved to the School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems at Drexel as an inaugural faculty member. Her main research area is the development of novel polymeric platforms to find life saving solutions to current medical challenges. These challenges include repair of spinal cord injury and drug delivery, as well as drug targeting in cancer.
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto, 1982
- MA, Biochemistry, Oxford University, 1974
- BA, Chemistry, Oxford University, 1971
- "Extracorporeal Reactors Containing Immobilized Species" Bernstein, Wheatley and Langer. U.S. Patent #4,863,611 September 5, 1989.
- "System for Delayed and Pulsed Release of Biologically Active Substances." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S Patent #4,900,556 February 13, 1990.
- "Systems and Apparatus for Delayed and Pulsed Release of Biologically Active Substances." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S. Patent #4,921,757 May 1, 1990.
- "System for Controlled Release of Biologically Active Compounds." Wheatley, Langer, and Eisen. U.S. Patent #4,933,185 June 12, 1990.
- "Surfactant-Stabilized Microbubbles Mixtures, Process for Preparation and Methods of Using same" Wheatley, Shen, Goldberg and Singhal. U.S. Patent #5,352,436 October 4, 1994.
- "Gas-filled Polymeric Microcapsules for Ultrasound Imaging" Cohen, Andrianov, Wheatley, Allcock and Langer. U.S. Patent #5,487,390 January 30, 1996.
- "Polymeric Microcapsules Containing Agents for Imaging" Cohen, Andrianov, Wheatley, Allcock and Langer. U.S. Patent #5,562,099 October 8, 1996.
- "Hollow Polymer Microcapsules and Method of Producing Same" Wheatley and Narayan. U.S. Patent #5,955,143 September 21, 1999.
- "Surface-stabilized Microbubbles for Use in Ultrasound Contrast and Drug Delivery" Basude and Wheatley. Drexel provisional application 0007 June 1999.
- "Method of Enhancing Doppler Perfusion and Imaging Techniques via Ultraharmonics" Basude and Wheatley. Drexel provisional application 0008 June 1999.
- "Nanofiber Mat with Capability to Deliver Bioactive Compounds" Wheatley, Ko, El-Sherif, Dhoot, Kanakasaba, Benjelloun and Han. Drexel provisional application.
- "Hollow Polymeric Micro and Nanospheres for Diagnostic Imaging and Drug Delivery" El-Sherif and Wheatley. Drexel provisional 0054 March 30, 2001.
Ultrasound contrast agent development (imaging, tumor targeting and triggered drug and oxygen delivery), controlled release technology (bioactive compounds), ex vivo gene therapy for spinal cord repair.