Course Repeat Policy: Graduate Students

No. v 3/28/18
Effective Date: 9/1/18
Issuing Authority: Provost
Issuing Office: Office of the Provost
Link to Process: <> 


This policy specifies the method of calculating grade point averages for repeated courses and the process by which graduate students may petition for GPA adjustment.


Graduate students may repeat up to a total of two courses.  Students may petition that only the highest grade be counted in the cumulative grade point average up to a maximum of two separate occurrences. This is limited to one occurrence for each specific course, for courses in which they received a grade of B- or below and as such that the lower letter grade is removed in GPA calculations.All occurrences of the course along with associated grades will remain on the student’s academic record as well as on the official transcript. Students will not receive additional credit for repeating a course. 

This policy does not apply to any courses taken prior to the Fall Quarter of the 2018-2019 academic year. Please note that individual programs may have additional requirements.


Graduate students who wish to repeat courses, using the petition option may do so under the following conditions:

  • Students must file a petition which is approved by the program manager/academic advisor
  • This policy applies only to courses taken at Drexel University.
  • The earliest attempt resulting in a grade of "B-"or lower and must have been taken during or after Fall Quarter of the 2018-2019 academic year.
  • Students planning to repeat a course in which they received a grade above F should consult with Drexel Central as the repeated course may not be financial aid eligible.
  • A student may not petition for GPA adjustment for a course taken after degree conferral.
  • A student must be enrolled in the second course attempt and petition for GPA adjustment by the end of the second week of that registration term.
  • A student may petition for GPA adjustment only once for a specific course.
  • A student may not exceed two repeated courses using this petition option.
  • The original occurrence of the course may not have a grade of INC, W or CR/NCR. 
  • A student’s grade in the original course may not be a result of academic misconduct as documented through the Office of Residential Living and Student Conduct.


Graduate students in quarter programs.