J1 Exchange Visitor English Proficiency Testing
The Department of State requires that J-1 Exchange Visitors have sufficient proficiency in the English language, as determined by an objective measurement of English language proficiency, to participate in their Drexel University program.
J-1 Exchange Visitors coming to Drexel are asked to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. Passing test scores for TOEFL is the minimum combined score of 79. Passing test scores for IELTS is a combined minimum score of 6.5. Other standardized tests may be accepted, subject to document review by the ELC, as is language certification at Level B2 according to the Common European Framework. Please contact email@example.com for more information. Alternatively, J-1 Scholar candidates may request an assessment from the English Language Center if unable to submit a standardized test score.
Drexel English Language Center Oral Proficiency Interview
This 15-minute interview is conducted by telephone, Zoom or Skype with a qualified English as a Second Language professional. The cost of the test is $85. Payment is submitted either by the J-1 Exchange Visitor via credit card or by the hosting department by university cost center number.
The interview is arranged with the candidate after the hosting department completes a Departmental Registration Form or the candidate completes Candidate Registration and Payment Form.
Assessment Registration Process
To ensure there is enough time to complete the immigration document process through the Drexel International Students and Scholars Service, candidates should begin the process at least 2 months before the visa appointment.
J-1 Scholar Sponsor
Below are instructions for university sponsors:
- Complete this Departmental Registration Form with information about the scholar candidate. The intra-departmental cost code for transferring funds through Journal ID is: 130232-3642.
- Direct the candidate to email Reese Heitner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After the candidate completes the oral exam, the ELC sends the J-1 Scholar form with results to the sponsor.
- University sponsor completes the J-1 Scholar form and sends directly to ISSS.
J-1 Scholars who have received an invitation from a Drexel department
- Submit a TOEFL or IELTS score to ISSS.
- Or submit this Candidate Registration and Payment Form to schedule and pay for an ELC oral interview.
- A test time will be scheduled within two weeks after payment is received.
- Results will be sent directly to the Drexel scholar sponsor. Candidates may petition the English Language Center to sit for another oral proficiency interview with another examiner. If the re-evaluation of the candidate results in a passing score, the additional $85.00 fee for the second interview is refunded.
Please contact the ISSS office at email@example.com for any questions on the J-1 application process.