Make your travel plans with your program start date in mind. You may be refused entry into the United States if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your Form I-20. Your Program Start Date is listed on page 1 of your I-20 in the box called “Program Information.” The earliest date you can enter the US is listed under “Earliest Admission Date.”
Do not put the following documents in your checked baggage. If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will be unable to present the documents at your port of entry. As a result, you may not be able to enter the United States.
- Your passport, valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay
- Your I-20 Form, signed by the International Student Advisor and you
- Your Form I-901, SEVIS Fee Receipt
- Drexel Public Safety’s phone number: 215-895-2822 (If there is an emergency at the border, Public Safety can connect to the ISSS emergency contact)
If you are arriving by plane, your flight attendants will distribute Customs Declaration Forms (CF-6059). This form must be completed before you land.
When you arrive at the port of entry (the first city where your plane lands in the U.S.), proceed to the terminal area for arriving passengers and present your documents listed above (passport, I-20 Form, CF-6059).
All visitors entering the United States must state their reason for wishing to enter the country. It is important that you tell the Customs Border Patrol Officer that you will be a student. Be prepared to include the name and address of the school program where you will study: Drexel University English Language Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
There are 3 kinds of transportation from Philadelphia International Airport:
- When: 24 hours a day. You do not need a reservation.
- Where: Outside of the baggage claim area.
- How: Tell the driver the address you want to go to (or write the address on a piece of paper).
- Time: About 20 minutes from the airport to the Drexel University neighborhood.
- Cost: About $35 including tip.
Shuttle van service
You can reserve a shuttle van service online before arrival or you can go to the Ground Transportation Information desk located in the baggage claim area and tell the representative that you would like a shuttle. The representative will tell you the cost for the shuttle.
- Make sure to:
- Ask the people behind the counter for help
- Tell the driver the address you want to go to (or write it on a piece of paper).
- Time: About 30 minutes from the airport to Drexel University (the van may make other stops).
If you have the Uber/Lyft App, you can request a ride upon arrival.