Application Frequently Asked Questions
When should I apply?
We recommend that you apply as early as possible because enrollment can fill up quickly. However, we cannot issue I-20s more than 6 months before the start of a term. We issue most I-20s about 3-4 months before the start of the term.
How long will it take to receive an acceptance letter and I-20?
We will process your application and send your acceptance package and I-20 as soon as possible by courier. We do not know how many days it will take to reach you because the time is different for different countries. Please check with the English Language Center about when your I-20 will be sent BEFORE you make a visa appointment!
What if I am studying at another school or English program in the US?
If you are transferring to Drexel English Language Center, you will need to fill out an I-20 Transfer Form (PDF) and give it to the International Student Advisor at your current school. We need to receive the completed form before we can issue an acceptance letter.
I received my acceptance letter and I-20, but I'm not sure if I can start.
You should defer your studies if:
- You do not have enough time to get a visa.
- You need to begin your studies at a later date.
- Your visa was denied and you want to reapply for a visa
Please note: If you are already in the United States, you CANNOT defer your studies and your SEVIS record will be terminated.
Steps to defer your studies:
- Send us a letter requesting a deferral. An email is acceptable.
- We must receive your request by the first day of orientation. See your acceptance letter for this date.
- Make a payment of $255 USD
- Administrative Deferral fee of $195
- Express mail fee of $60
- When we receive the items above, we will issue you a new I-20 for the next available term and send it to you via express mail.
- If you already paid your SEVIS fee, you do not have to pay it again as long as you re-apply within 12 months of your first denial.
I received and acceptance letter and I-20, but I want to transfer to another school.
If you transfer to another program or school before you complete at least one full term at Drexel ELC, there is a $295 Early Withdrawal Administration Fee. To initiate the transfer, you must send us the following:
- Early Withdrawal Administration fee of $295
- Copy of your immigration documents
- ELC Transfer Out form
- Acceptance letter from your new school
- Transfer form from your new school