EdD, RN, CNE
Associate Clinical Professor, Chair, MSN Advanced Role and Complementary and Integrative Health Departments
Advanced Role MSN Department
Jackie Murphy, EdD, completed her undergraduate studies at Gwynedd-Mercy University (ASN) and Thomas Jefferson University (BSN). She graduated from Drexel University with both an MSN in Nursing Education and Faculty Role and an EdD in Educational Leadership and Management.
Murphy’s clinical area of expertise is pediatric nursing. She is a certified school nurse and has presented and published in the areas of pediatric simulation and pediatric clinical calculations.
Murphy also has extensive experience in the area of Nursing Education. She has been in higher education since 2007, both in teaching and leadership roles, and is a certified nurse educator. Currently, Murphy teaches online graduate courses in the Nursing Education and Complementary and Integrative Health tracks. She has presented and published on topics related to student engagement in online learning.
Murphy is also a certified meditation and mindfulness teacher. Her current research focuses on the impact of mindfulness in online higher education.
Murphy received the Abington Memorial Hospital Nursing Excellence Award in 2008, 2010, and 2012. She was the AMH Dixon School of Nursing Commencement Speaker in 2012 and 2013.
Murphy is a member of several professional organizations including the National League of Nursing (NLN), American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), and the Society of Pediatric Nurses (SPN). She is on the board for the local chapter of SPN. In addition, she is a member of Sigma Theta Tau International, Delta Rho Chapter.
- Murphy, J. (2021). Exploring the impact of an open access mindfulness course with online graduate students: A mixed methods explanatory sequential study. Online Learning Journal.
- Murphy, J., Liggieri, A., & Murphy, G. (2020). Fostering the integration of extrinsic motivation in an online nursing education course. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Serembus, J. & Murphy, J. (2020). Creating an engaging learning environment through video discussions. Nurse Educator.
- Murphy, J. (2020). Exploring the effects of an open access mindfulness course on online graduate student persistence, stress, and mind wandering: A mixed methods explanatory sequential study (Doctoral Dissertation).
- Murphy, G. & Murphy, J. (2019). Applied pediatric math: Bridging the gap between theory and practice for a diverse group of learners. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Swartzwelder, A., Murphy, J., & Murphy, G. (2019). The Impact of text-based and video discussions on student engagement and interactivity in an online course. Journal of Educators Online, 16 (1).
Editorial review board membership:
Emerging Voices in Education (EViE)
Online Learning, Student Engagement, Mindfulness
Nursing education, online learning, pediatric nursing
- Drexel University – EdD (2020)
- Drexel University – MSN Nursing Education (2010)
- Thomas Jefferson University – BSN (2005)
- Gwynedd-Mercy University – ASN (2004)