O’Donnell, T., Deutsch, J., Pepino, R., Milliron, BJ, Yungmann, C., and Katz, S. (2015). “New Solutions for Food Loss and Waste Prevention,” BioCycle, 56 (11), 34.
Miller, J. and Deutsch, J. (2015). “Culinary Arts: A Guide to the Literature,” Choice.
O’Donnell, T., Deutsch, J., Pepino, R., Milliron, BJ, Yungmann, C., and Katz, S. (2015). “Food Was Never Meant to be Wasted,” BioCycle, 56 (9), 34.
’Donnell, T., Deutsch, J. , Yungmann, C. , Zeitz, A. and Katz, S. (2015) “New Sustainable Market Opportunities for Surplus Food: A Food System-Sensitive Methodology (FSSM),” Food and Nutrition Sciences, 6, 883-892. doi:10.4236/fns.2015.610093.
Tsui, E., Wurwarg, J., Poppendieck, J., Deutsch, J. and Freudenberg, N. (2014). “Institutional food as a lever for improving health in cities: The case of New York City,” Public Health, 129 (4), 303-309.
Deutsch, J. (2014, July 4). “No apple pie,” Times Literary Supplement, p. 30.
Deutsch, J. (2014). “Suppressing Desire as Culinary Discipline: Can Culinary Education Be Hedonistic? Should it Be?” Proceedings of the Dublin Gastronomy Symposium.
Deutsch, J. & Feustel, J. (2014). “Stew late,” Table Matters.
Deutsch, J. & Feustel, J. (2014). “Simmer down,” Table Matters.
- Tsui, E., Deutsch, J., Patinella, S. and Freudenberg, N. (2013, September) "Missed Opportunities for Improving Nutrition through Institutional Food: The Case for Food Worker Training" American Journal of Public Health.
- Mahadevan, M., Feldman, C., Deutsch, J., and Ruzsilla, J. (2012). "Organizational Barriers to Health Behaviors of Restaurant Chefs in Suburban New Jersey: A Qualitative Pilot Study, Health Behavior & Public Health. ISSN 2146-9334
- Deutsch, J. (2010). "Culinary Improvisation," Cultural Arts Resources for Teachers and Students (CARTS). 11, 9.
- Deutsch, J. (2010, Spring). "Teaching the Middle Third and Community Tuba," ITEA Journal.37 (3), 47 – 49.
- Deutsch, J. (2008, Winter). "Building Food Community at the Community College: Teaching More than Technique," The Snail, 14 – 15.
- Deutsch, J. and Miller, J. (2007, November). "Food Studies: A Multidisciplinary Guide to the Literature," Bibliographic Essay, Choice, 393 - 401.
- Borgese, A., Deutsch, J. and Winkler, C. (2004). A Multi-faceted Approach to Leadership Education: CUNY's Institute for Virtual Enterprise. Journal of Leadership Education, 3 (3), 38 – 43. Download available (PDF)
- Miller, J., Deutsch, J., and Sealey-Ruiz, Y. (2005, Winter). Food Studies as a Mechanism for Advancing Multicultural Education in Hospitality Programs. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education. ISSN 1096-3758
- Deutsch, J. (2004, March). Barbecue Team. Slow, 47, 22 – 25, Download available (PDF)
- Deutsch, J. (2004). "'Eat Me Up': Spoken Voice and Food Voice in an Urban Firehouse," Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 1 (1), 27 - 36.
- Deutsch, J. (2004, Winter). "Chunky Soup: The Sumotori Diet," Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture, 4 (1), 47 - 53. Selected as sample article, available online at http://www.gastronomica.org/gastro/pages/sample4.1.html
Basso, C. and Sandler, R. (Eds.) (2016), O’Donnell, T., Deutsch, J., Yungmann, C. and Katz, S. “Developing a Food System-Sensitive Methodology to Transform Food “Waste,” Create New Businesses and Address Hunger in Urban Communities, in Feeding Cities: Improving Local Food Access, Security and Sovereignty. Routledge.
Deutsch, J. (2015). “Exotic Food and Strange Food,” in Albala, (Ed). The Sage Encyclopedia of Food Issues. Sage, 418-421.
Deutsch, J. (2015). “Food Science Programs,” in Albala, (Ed). The Sage Encyclopedia of Food Issues. Sage, 612-617.
Deutsch, J. (2014) “Antarctica,” in Albala, K. (Ed), From Famine to Fast Food: Nutrition, Diet and Concepts of Health around the World. Greenwood.
- Liberman, V. and Deutsch, J. (2012). "Culinary Arts and Foodservice Management," in Albala, K. (Ed.) Routledge Handbook to Food Studies. Routledge.
- Deutsch, J. and Miller, J. (in press). Where's the Beef? Putting the Food into Food Studies, in Pilcher, J. (Ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Food History. Oxford University Press.
- Deutsch, J. (2012) "'Please pass the chicken tits': Rethinking men and cooking in an urban firehouse," in Counihan, C. and Williams-Forson, P. (Eds.) Taking Food Public: Redefining Foodways in a Changing World, Routledge, pp. 265-278. ISBN 978-0-415-88855-4
- Contributor to Shadix, Kyle and Stokes, Miton (2011). Launching Your Dietetics Career, American Dietetic Association. ISBN 0880914394
- Deutsch, J. (2011). Swine by Design: Travels with a Competition Barbecue Team, in Veteto, J. R. and Maclin, E.M. The Slaw and the Slow Cooked: An Anthropology of Mid-South Barbecue. Vanderbilt University Press.
- Deutsch, J. (2006). "Food with Nutritional Appeal," "Cooking and Eating More Healthfully," Chapters published in National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation Competency Guide: Nutrition. Prentice Hall.