Policy Number: HR-32.01
Effective Date: March 2013
Responsible Officer: Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer
This policy provides guidelines for leave in the event of the death of an immediate family member, domestic partner, close relative or other close relationship of an eligible Professional Staff Member.
This policy applies to all eligible non-faculty Professional Staff Members, excluding any Professional Staff Member who is affiliated with a collective bargaining unit.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer is the Drexel University official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Drexel provides paid time off in the event of the death of a relative of an eligible Professional Staff Member.
Bereavement Leave is defined as time away from work with pay due to the death of a relative of a Professional Staff Member.
Close Relative is defined as any person who is related to a Professional Staff Member in any of the following ways: aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, first cousin or resident of the same household of the Professional Staff Member.
Domestic Partner is defined as an individual in a committed relationship with a Faculty or Professional Staff Member of the same gender who is neither married to nor related by blood, adoption or law to the Faculty or Professional Staff Member.
Immediate Family Member is defined as any person who is related to a Professional Staff Member in any of the following ways: spouse, domestic partner, parent, stepparent, child, stepchild, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister or other relations established by law or court order.
Other Close Relationship is defined as a person who played a significant role in the life of a Professional staff member, such as a co-worker or documented primary caregiver.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
- Immediate Family Member/Domestic Partner
In the event of the death of an Immediate Family Member or Domestic Partner; a Professional Staff Member will be allowed to use up to five work days off with pay (to be designated as Bereavement Leave), including the day of the funeral, taken within ten working days from date of death.
- Close Relative
In the event of the death of a Close Relative, a Professional Staff Member will be allowed to use up to three work days off with pay (to be designated as Bereavement Leave), including the day of the funeral, taken within ten working days from date of death.
- Other Close Relationship
In the event of the death of a Close Relationship, a Professional Staff member is allowed to use one sick day for the day of the funeral only.
- The supervisor must document a Professional Staff Member’s absence from work for Bereavement Leave, but such an absence will not be considered an “occurrence” when determining absenteeism or lateness for purposes of Drexel’s Attendance Policy.
- In the event that the need for Bereavement Leave arises, the Professional Staff Member must notify his or her immediate supervisor of the date(s) and time(s) for which such leave is being requested. Such notification must be provided at the earliest opportunity. The Professional Staff Member must advise their supervisor as soon as possible of the anticipated date of return.
- Notification to the immediate supervisor must come directly from the Professional Staff Member.
- A Professional Staff Member may be denied Bereavement Leave if he or she fails to provide the immediate supervisor with requested verification regarding the death of the relative.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.