Policy Number: HR-30
Effective Date: April 2014
Responsible Officer: President, Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
This policy was established to designate the official Holidays recognized by the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University.
This policy applies to all eligible Professional Staff Members.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The President of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is the official responsible for the administration of this policy.
The Academy observes the following Holidays. Actual dates are posted on HR’s website each year.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- The day after Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas (depending on the day Christmas falls)
- 3 Floating Holidays (adjusted annually according to Drexel University's Winter Break)
Exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a bona fide executive, administrative or professional position that is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Act. Exempt Professional Staff Members are considered salaried and cannot be docked for anything less than a full day’s work.
Floating Holiday is a work day that a Professional Staff Member selects to receive time off with pay.
Holiday is a work day that is recognized as an official day for which Professional Staff Members receive time off with pay.
Non-exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a position that is subject to the provisions of the Act.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Winter Break is defined as the weekdays between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- Professional Staff Members qualify for sixteen (16) hours of Floating Holiday leave each fiscal year. Floating Holiday Leave hours for Part-time Professional Staff Members are pro-rated based on the number of hours per week the Professional Staff Member is regularly scheduled to work in relation to the standard 40 hour work week. For example, a Professional Staff Member who is regularly scheduled to work 20 hours per week (50% of the standard work week) will receive 50% of the full-time hours granted.
- Requests for Floating Holiday leave must be made in advance and are granted at the discretion and approval of the immediate supervisor. Floating Holiday leave hours cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year.
Note: Professional Staff Members hired during the last quarter of the current fiscal year (April 1 through June 30) do not qualify for Floating Holidays hours for the current fiscal year. At the start of the next fiscal year (July 1), they will qualify for twenty-one (21) Floating Holidays hours, which will be pro-rated for Part-time Professional Staff Members.
- The hours of a Holiday begin at 12:00 a.m. on the day observed and end at 11:59 p.m. that day.
- Holidays falling on a Saturday will be observed on the previous Friday. Holidays falling on a Sunday will be observed on the following Monday.
- Employment appointments will not become effective on Holidays.
- Professional Staff Members are paid at their regular daily rate for time not worked on the observed Holiday.
- If a Professional Staff Member is scheduled to work on a Holiday and calls in sick, the Professional Staff Member must use his or her available sick time.
- If a Holiday occurs during a Professional Staff Member's scheduled vacation, it will be charged as Holiday pay with the remainder of the time being charged as vacation leave.
- Professional Staff Members in an inactive pay status are not entitled to Holiday pay.
- Non-exempt Professional Staff Members who are required to work on a Holiday recognized by the Academy will be paid their normal hourly rate plus 1.5 times for all hours worked, whether or not any of the hours worked that day is in excess of the number of hours a Professional Staff Member usually works.
- Exempt Professional Staff Members who are required to work on a Holiday recognized by the Academy will receive additional Floating Holiday hours at a rate of 1.5 times, for all hours worked. Floating Holiday hours must be used before the end of the fiscal year in which they were earned.
- Professional Staff Members who terminate employment from the University will not receive Holiday pay unless they work the day after the Holiday.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.