For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

History of Homeopathic Medicine Collection Descriptions

Collection No. 001

Hugh D. Bennet papers - Associate Dean of Student Affairs

1963 - 1983 (bulk 1967 - 1983); 9.0 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 002

Joseph R. DiPalma - Med School VP and Dean

4.4 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 003

DiPalma, Joesph R. - Med. School VP and Dean

12.3 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 004

Kolmen, Samuel N. - Med. School Assoc. Dean

16.3 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 005

Jule M. Sugarman papers

1983 - 1989 (bulk 1983 - 1987); 11.0 linear feet

Materials relating to his activities as Vice President for Planning and Marketing, and Acting Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions (1985). Beyond his sphere at Hahnemann, Sugarman was involved with health and children's services nationwide, including founding Head Startrecords include office files, correspondence, financial statements, planning projects including the Hahnemann Master Plan 1985-89, institutional services, Hahnemann Alert Group, 1984-86, policies on institutes, centers, and foundations, 1983-85, Board of Trustees Retreat, 1985, regarding the status and future of health care education and Hahnemann, reorganization of the school of allied health processions, 1985, District 1199c union contracts, 1983-86, Hahnemann buildings including Windsor Towers, his involvement with Booth Maternity Center as President, 1986-87, and with Nova University as faculty. He was also affiliated with the Pennsylvania College of Podiatric Medicine. Other items include the Planning Department Operations Manual, his CV, and photographs.



Collection No. 006

Walker - Vice Provost / Academic Support Services

1.5 linear feet

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 007

Walker, Robert A.J., Associate Vice President for Academic Administration

2.8 linear feet

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 008

Walker, Robert A.J., Assistant. to Dean for Administration.

1.3 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 011

Charles S. Paxson papers

1941 - 1980 (bulk 1945 - 1965); 41.0 linear feet

Charles S. Paxson served as Executive Vice President of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital from 1957 until 1976. Prior to coming to Hahnemann, he was the administrator of Delaware County Memorial Hospital from 1941 to 1957, and was key in establishing Delaware County Memorial Hospital as a lasting institution. Collection comprised of records of the Executive Vice President and Hospital Administrator [1909-1999], including Hahnemann Financial Statements from 1941, 1951-72, college and hospital budgets, 1969-73, inter-office memoranda regarding clinical administrative procedures and policies, 1968-72, selected minutes of the Board of Trustees, various committees of the Board and councils, 1972-73, planning documents, analyses, and reports for the new hospital and clinic facilities (cardiovascular institute, hemodialysis, catheterization laboratory, arthritis center, psychiatry, radiology, pediatrics) prepared by Ellerbe Architect, Ewing Cole Erdman & Eubank, Medicon Inc., and various committees, 1970s, nursing policy manual, 1972, material regarding President Wharton Shober. Accompanying audiotape of Paxson discussing the collection.



Collection No. 012 and 013

Charles S. Cameron papers

1961 - 1974 (bulk 1963 - 1972); 7.5 linear feet (No. 012) 6.0 linear feet (No. 013)

Charles Cameron served Hahnemann Medical College as Dean (1956-60), President (1961-71), and Board Chairman (1971-72). Files include minutes, correspondence, reports, and memoranda, including Board of Trustees minutes 1964-71, Board correspondence 1965-72, by-laws, commencement material including honoree correspondence, biography, some addresses and photographs 1961-72, building programs and dedications (Bobst and Feinstein 1967, New College 1972), institute planning, carbon dioxide therapy program 1972, Master Plan 1966, affiliations, 10-year celebration dinner for Charles Paxson, 1967, Federated Medical Resources, 1973, Geary Auditorium Dedication, University City Science Center, union activity, 1970, Hahnemann Physicians Society, Development and Alumni campaign material.



Collection No. 014

Edward Wharton Shober papers

1971 - 1978 (bulk 1971 - 1976); 1.3 linear feet

Edward Wharton Shober was president of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital from 1971 to 1977 and, through a hugely controversial procurement of federal and state loans, helped bring Hahnemann back from financial instability, but was forced to resign as a result of the ensuing scandal.Mr. Shober was the first president of Hahnemann Medical College that was not a physician; he was granted an honorary doctorate of science by Wilkes College in 1975. Comprised of files, mainly news clippings, regarding Hahnemann University and Mr. Shober's presidential activity, including carbon dioxide therapy program, 1971-72, controversy over funding of new hospital; 125th Anniversary celebration 1973, Cheyney-Lincoln Program, and the controversy regarding General Anastasio Somoza.



Collection No. 015

Dr. Bertram S. Brown papers

1957 - 1983 (bulk 1957 - 1983); 1.3 linear feet

Dr. Bertram S. Brown [1931-2020] was a renowned psychiatrist and mental health advocate. He was the director of the National Institute for Mental Health from 1970-1977 and in his career fiercely advocated the federal government to adopt measures to help those afflicted with mental health disorders. From 1983 to 1987, Dr. Brown was the president of Hahnemann Hospital. Contains the published papers of Hahnemann University Hospital president Dr. Bertram S. Brown relating to his specialty of psychiatry, and his tenure, including directorship, at the National Institute of Mental Health. Bound bibliography included.



Collection No. 016

Dr. William Likoff papers

1972 - 1982 (bulk 1977 - 1982); 2.8 linear feet

Selected office files and documents from Dr. William Likoff’s tenure as president of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. Dr. William Likoff was a renowned cardiologist and was president of the American College of Cardiology from 1967-1968, and a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, class of 1938. Later in 1975, he helped play a key role in founding the Likoff Institute for Cardiovascular Research at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, which was named in his honor. Two years later in 1977 he became the president of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. This collection includes Hahnemann University status application (1981), hospital planning and construction application material including extensive institutional data (1970s), health affairs and academic affairs long-range plans (1979), Wilkes-Hahnemann program evaluation report (1972-80), Affirmative Action material, Johnson (thermal) Controls planning document for Hahnemann.



Collection No. 017

Robert A. J. Walker papers

1970 - 1986 (bulk 1970 - 1986); 3.0 linear feet

Robert A. J. Walker [1928-2012] acted in the positions of Assistant/Associate Vice President for Academic Administration, as well as Dean of Students. Materials acquired by the Hahnemann Medical College Assistant/Associate Vice President for Academic Administration Robert A. J. Walker, relating to Hahnemann Medical College accreditation by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, including correspondence, self-studies, reports, and other materials.



Collection No. 019

Jerry Schoem papers

1965 - 1989 (bulk 1976 - 1986); 1.5 linear feet

Jerry Schoem was an administrator at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital and served as Vice President for Development and Public Affairs as well as Chief Development Officer. Files from his tenure include weekly correspondence, 1978-79, faculty and staff lists, 1976-77, Hahnemann University Master Plan 1983, 1985-1989, mental health technology program, National Health Constitutional Conventions, 1983, 1984, Kroungold Shock and Trauma Unit, Foster Murphy memorial fund, 14th Floor hospital project 1963, Hahnemann Hospital Association Minutes 1971-72 (incomplete), Friends of Hahnemann, and photographs.



Collection No. 020

Marjorie R. Carmosin collection on Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Public Affairs office

1898 - 1985 (bulk 1970 - 1980); 9.0 linear feet

Comprised of records produced by the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Public Affairs office and retained by its director, Marjorie R. Carmosin, including: miscellaneous Hahnemann printed material such as programs, brochures, reports, and announcements. The master file of Hahnemann publications includes: Medical Staff News 1958-71, Thermometer 1955-71, What's Happening 1977-79, Hahnemann Alumni News 1958-72; World of Hahnemann 1975-81; What's New 1969-75; Hahnemann Today 1973-74; Degrees & Stitches 1977-81; Calendar of Events 1970; Nursing at Hahnemann 1982-85; Pro-Log 1970; Hahnemann Lens 1971. Also included are the 21st Century Development Fund Case Statement 1968, master list of stored donor plaques, a reel-to-reel audiotape of former president Wharton Shober on the Frank Ford show 1976, and a copy of Dr. Thomas Bradford's History of Hahnemann, 1898. Marjorie R. Carmosin [`1925-2005] was the Director of Communications and the Director of Public Relations for Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital.



Collection No. 021

Marjorie R. Carmosin papers [Public Affairs News Clippings]

1968 - 1975 (bulk 1968 - 1975); 5.0 linear feet

Collection comprised of public affairs news clippings, arranged chronologically and maintained by the Director of Communications and Public Relations for Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, Marjorie R. Carmosin [1925-2005]. The clippings relate to any mention of Hahnemann Hospital or Hahnemann Medical College in the news, and related articles about medicine in general.



Collection No. 022

Dr. Lewis C. Mills papers [Legal Materials]

1968 - 1984 (bulk 1970 - 1980); 1.5 linear feet

These files relate to the legal and administrative function of the Board of Trustees, including the President's staff and policies.



Collection No. 023

Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital financial reports

1955 - 1976 (bulk 1955 - 1976); 3.0 linear feet

Bound yearly financial reports of the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital from the twenty year period of 1955-1976.



Collection No. 024

Hahnemann University School of Medicine Board of Trustees and Corporate Administration records

1848 - 1973 (bulk 1920 - 1970); 5.0 linear feet

Bound volumes of minutes of finance and executive committees, and other special committees of the board of trustees of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital.



Collection No. 025

Hahnemann University School of Medicine Board of Trustees / Corporate Administration records [ Corporate deeds and charters]

1867 - 1996 (bulk 1920 - 1996); .5 linear feet

Collection of oversized material relating to the creation and recognition of the Hahnemann University School of Medicine. The collection also contains certificates of honorary medical fraternities.



Collection No. 026

Amedeo Bondi papers- Ph.D., Dean

7.0 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 027

DiPalma, Joseph R., M.D.

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 028

William Nellis papers [Hospital Minutes]

1947 - 1978 (bulk 1950 - 1975); 1.3 linear feet

William “Bill” Nellis was the Hospital Director and Vice President for Health Services at Hahnemann University Hospital from 1979 to 1984. Contains administrative materials for Health Affairs, including hospital minutes, and medical affairs council minutes.



Collection No. 029

Richard Gutekunst Ph.D. papers

1970 - 1989 (bulk 1970 - 1989); 9.3 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 030

Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Administration records

1968 - 1978 (bulk 1968 - 1978); 1.0 linear feet

Minutes of the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Academic Affairs Council.



Collection No. 031

University Events [Cornerstone Materials]

1884 - 1928 (bulk 1884 - 1928); 4.0 linear feet

Contains various materials placed in the cornerstones of buildings at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital locations, mainly from the years 1884, 1929, and 1979.



Collection No. 032

Hahnemann Hospital Association finance records

1926 - 1981 (bulk 1926 - 1981); 1.5 linear feet

records of the position of treasurer for the Hahnemann Hospital Association from 1926 to 1981.



Collection No. 033

Medical records [Myra Sarubin]

1935 - 1959 (bulk 1935 - 1959); 3.8 linear feet

Contains medical records, mainly admissions, discharges, deliveries, and home deliveries.



Collection No. 036

Elspeth Anderson Nursing Administration records

1970 - 1981 (bulk 1975 - 1981); 6.5 linear feet

Ms. Elspeth A. Anderson was the Associate Director and later Director of Nursing Services at Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing during the 1960s and 1970s. Contains material relating to nursing administration, including policies and procedures and meeting minutes.



Collection No. 037

Joyce Willoughby Heacock Scrapbooks

1951 - 1956 (bulk 1951 - 1956); 2.0 linear feet

These scrapbooks record the university life of Joyce Willoughby Heacock, a student at the Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing, Class of 1956. The scrapbooks include photographs, newspaper clippings, and journal entries on her nursing experiences.



Collection No. 038

Community Medicine Department records

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 039

Physiology Department

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 040

Hahnemann Medical College Dean's Office records

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 041

Schneider - Biomed. Support Services

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 042

Boyd - Biochemistry Dept.

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 043

Irene Koprowska Collection

NOTE: This collection description is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 044

Belmont - Child Psychiatry Div.

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 44a

Mental Health Services (part of Belmont?)

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 045

Spivack papers

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 046

Roberts Academic Affairs By-laws Committee

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 047

Dr. Frank Lehman notebooks

1898 - 1932 (bulk 1898 - 1902); 1.5 linear feet

This collection contains the student notebooks of Frank Lehman, a student at Hahnemann Medical College at the turn of the 20th Century. The notebooks contain class notes from several disciplines Dr. Lehman was studying. This collection provides valuable insight into the everyday life of a Hahnemann Medical College student, as well as the nature of the curriculums taught in medical colleges at the time.



Collection No. 048

Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Facilities Planning Department records

1915 - 1942 (bulk 1915 - 1925); 1.5 linear feet

records relating to Hahnemann’s Schaff/Bellet building, located at 1505 Race Street, especially its early years as the offices of the Reformed Church. The Schaff building, which was known as the Reformed Church Building, was built in 1908 by the Sunday School Board of the Reformed Church. For most of its history the Schaff building housed the offices of various Christian organizations, as well as several secular businesses. Starting around 1965, the Schaff building increasingly became used and rented out by the nearby Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, until in 1982 when the building was bought and renamed the Bellet Building of Hahnemann Medical College. In 1990, part of the Schaff/Bellet building was demolished to make way for the construction of the Vine Street Expressway, but a portion of the building still stands and is occupied by Hahnemann Medical College’s successor, Drexel University College of Medicine. The collection includes early photographs, newspaper clippings, brochures, Reformed Church yearbooks (1915-19), and publications (1920s and 1940s), October 1923 issue of Building Owner and Manager (cover story on the building), and copies of Presbyterian magazine, 1920s.



Collection No. 049

Medical Student Theses

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 050

College of Science B.S. Theses

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 051

Academic Affairs Publications - Announcements

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 052

Academic Affairs Publications Announcements 1861-1969, Set 3

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 53a

Carmosin - Academic Publications

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 53b

Academic Affairs Publications - Announcements

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 54a

Academic Affairs -- Commencement

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 055

Academic Affairs Annual Reports

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 56, 56a

Student Yearbooks

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 057

Hahnemann Hospital Association Publications

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 058

Miscellaneous Homeopathy Books

1880 - 1960 (bulk 1890 - 1920); 1.5 linear feet

This eclectic collection contains homeopathy manuals and anatomy books, as well as manuals on other alternative medicine methods from the late 19th-early 20th centuries.



Collection No. 059

Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia administrative records

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 060

Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia Controversies

1956 - 1980

(bulk 1970 - 1980); 1.5 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 061

African-American Physicians

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 62b

Waddington - Philadelphia Hahnemann Alumni Society records

1931 - 1986 (bulk 1931 - 1958); .5 linear feet

Contains records of the Philadelphia Hahnemann Alumni Society. The Philadelphia Hahnemann Alumni Society was a continuation of the Homeopathic Medical Society of the County of Philadelphia [1931-58, 1986], including: HMS Board of Trustees minutes, 1931-48, PHAS Board of Trustees minutes, 1948-58, meeting minutes, 1942-51. Also includes information on the Archives' endowment created from the organization's closing assets in 1986.



Collection No. 62a

Hahnemann Club of Philadelphia records

1884 - 1992 (bulk 1960 - 1992); 0.5 linear feet

Records of the Hahnemann Club, founded in 1872 as an exclusive club for the male faculty members of Hahnemann Medical College. By the time it was disbanded in 1992, the Hahnemann Club was the oldest surviving medical club in Philadelphia. Included are minutes; programs;photographs, including founders; slide/text program of members; historical, biographical, and exhibit materials.



Collection No. 62b

Hahnemann Alumni Society records

1931 - 1986 (bulk 1931 - 1958); 2.0 linear feet

Contains records of the Philadelphia Hahnemann Alumni Society, a continuation of the Homeopathic Medical Society of the County of Philadelphia, including HMS Board of Trustees Minutes, 1931-48, PHAS Board of Trustees Minutes, 1948-58, meeting minutes, 1942-51. Also information on the Archives endowment created from the organization's closing assets in 1986.



Collection No. 62c

Dr. Arthur W. Waddington papers

1941 - 1994 (bulk 1955 - 1994); 1.0 linear feet

Dr. Arthur Waddington was a professor and assistant instructor of gynecology at Hahnemann Medical College, and also acted as the assistant treasurer of the Hahnemann Alumni Society.Consists mainly of financial information produced by Dr. Arthur Waddington, along with a few personal papers.



Collection No. 063

Hahnemann Photographs [student yearbooks, Shallcross, Isaac, Van Baun, William]

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 064

Bradford, Thomas L., M.D.

18.0 linear feet

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 65a, 65b, 65c, 65d

19th Century Admin records

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 066

19th Century records, 2 vols.

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 067

Board of Trustees/ Corporate Administration

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 068

Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia records

1856 - 1914 (bulk 1856 - 1914); .5 linear feet

Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, known for most of its history as Hahnemann Medical College, was a premier medical college with a long and storied history. It was founded in 1848 by Drs. Constantine Hering, Jacob Jeanes, and Walter Williamson as an institution for standardizing the practice of Homeopathy. After a brief split in 1867 that resulted in two schools existing at the same time, the college was renamed Hahnemann Medical College in 1869. Hahnemann continued expanding through the early 20th century, and became a highly regarded medical school despite ceasing to teach homeopathy in 1959. The school became Hahnemann University in 1981, and in 1993, merged with the Medical College of Pennsylvania to become MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine. MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine ended its long history in 2002 when it was absorbed by Drexel University and renamed the Drexel University College of Medicine. The Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania records Collection is made up of financial and administrative records from the period of 1864 to 1915. This includes financial reports and documents, as well as material pertaining to the Board of Trustees ranging from 1864 to 1900. It also includes administrative records and financial materials from 1900 to 1915. These materials are by no means a full or exhaustive set of records for the college during this time range, and while focused in the time periods of 1865 -1890 and 190-1915, these periods are not fully covered and there are significant gaps. This collection would be extremely useful for anyone studying how medical schools were administered at the time, how medical schools operated financially, as well as what day to day academic life was like for students of medical schools at this time.



Collection No. 069

Hahnemann Hospital records and Johnstown Homeopathic Dispensary records

1890 - 1916 (bulk 1890 - 1916); .5 linear feet

These records from the late 19th century/early 20th century contain Hahnemann Hospital Medical and Surgical Staff Minutes, and Johnstown Homeopathic Dispensary finances and papers. Hahnemann Hospital was opened in 1890 as a teaching hospital for the Hahnemann Medical College and by the time it moved to its permanent location in 1928, it was one of the most modern and technologically developed hospitals in the nation. Johnstown Homeopathic Dispensary was a branch of the Philadelphia Homeopathic Hospital Dispensary opened in Johnstown, Pennsylvania in 1889. The dispensary was opened on the demand of the Cambria Iron Works after the devastating Johnstown Flood which killed an estimated 2,200 people in May 1889. The dispensary was opened and operated by Dr. H. E. Kistler.



Collection No. 070

Alumni Association Scrapbooks

1884 - 1916 (bulk 1884 - 1916); .5 linear feet

Contains two oversize scrapbooks and minute books from the late 19th and early 20th century, created by the Hahnemann Alumni Association.



Collection No. 071

Alumni Association records- living alum. ca. 1906, banquets

1900 - 1906 (bulk 1900 - 1906); .5 linear feet

Two bound volumes, one detailing banquet accounts from ~1900-1906, the other a list of living alumni (in 1906) compiled by George R. Mattice. George R. Mattice was the secretary of Hahnemann Medical College during the first decade of the 20th century. He also collected a number of biographical materials on his colleagues and other homeopathic physicians, such as his 1904 volume “ Homeopathic Physicians of the United States”.



Collection No. 073

Allentown Academy / Correspondenzblatt

1835 - 1840 (bulk 1835 - 1840); .5 linear feet

The North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Art, known as the Allentown Academy, was a short lived, yet influential homeopathic medical school in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Opened April 10, 1935 by several prominent homeopathic physicians, Allentown Academy was the first homeopathic medical school in the United States, and educated the first generation of American homeopaths that would go on to bring homeopathy to new heights in the country. Due to low enrollment and financial troubles, Allentown Academy was only open for six years, and closed in 1842 when one of its founders moved to Boston, Massachusetts. The Allentown Academy/North American Academy of Homeopathic Healing Art Collection contains material dating from 1834 to 1836 pertaining to the founding of Allentown Academy, as well as several reprinted copies of materials. These include stocks, drafts and the final copy of the academy’s constitution and bylaws, the academy’s act of incorporation by the Pennsylvania Senate, and a handwritten draft of Dr. Constantine Hering’s opening address.There is also the first volume of a work published in German by the academy titled Correspondenzblatt der Homöopathischen Aerzte, and it is available digitally here. This collection would be extremely useful for any researchers studying the founding of Allentown Academy or the history of homeopathy in the United States.



Collection No. 074

Other Homeopathic Society records - Provers', Northampton, Kent postgrad.

1890 - 1900 (bulk 1890 - 1900); .5 linear feet

Box 1:Homeopathic Institute of Philadelphia, American Provers' Union, Hahnemann Society of Northampton, Philadelphia Postgraduate School of Homeopathics Mins. Box 2: Photocopy of Philadelphia Postgraduate school of Homeopathics, Minutes, 1890-1900. The Homeopathic Institute of Philadelphia appears to be the Philadelphia branch of the American Institute of Homeopathy. The American Institute of Homeopathy was founded in 1844 as a response to the death of homeopathy’s pioneer, Samuel Hahnemann. The Philadelphia branch was founded two years later in 1846, however, the American Institute of Homeopathy was already largely centered in Philadelphia, and held its annual conventions in the city until 1847. The American Institute of Homeopathy still exists today [2020]. The American Prover’ Union was a homeopathic group founded by Dr. Constantine Hering and 10 other homeopathic physicians in 1853 at Dr. Hering’s home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The purpose of the American Provers’ Union was to track global developments in homeopathic remedies, and to test the effects and outcomes of these remedies. The American Provers’ Union was largely inactive after 1859. The Hahnemann Society of Northampton, which was officially known as the Homeopathic Society of Northampton and Adjoining Counties, was an early American homeopathic society founded in 1834 founded by several early American homeopathic physicians in Northampton, Pennsylvania. The goal of the Hahnemann Society of Northampton was largely to teach, spread and popularize the practice of homeopathy, which was largely new and unknown in America at that time. The Philadelphia Postgraduate School of Homeopathics was a small homeopathic college in Philadelphia that was opened in 1890. The main administrator and dean of the school was Dr. James Tyler Kent, a prominent homeopathic physician who practiced in St. Louis, Missouri before relocating to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1888. The Philadelphia Postgraduate School of Homeopathics lasted only ten years and dissolved in 1900 after Dr. Kent resigned for a position in Chicago.



Collection No. 075

Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia records

1859 - 1880 (bulk 1859 - 1880); .5 linear feet

The Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia was a physicians only homeopathic medical society founded in 1838. The society grew out of another homeopathic medical society called The Hahnemann Society, which was formed in 1833. The Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia was largely seen as a continuation of the Hahnemann Society, and would later become an important forebearer of the influential Homeopathic Medical Society of Pennsylvania, founded in 1866. Contains two volumes of constitution and minutes of the Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia.



Collection No. 076

Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia records

1859 - 1880 (bulk 1859 - 1880); .5 linear feet

A single volume of minutes from the Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia, 1859-80. The society was a physicians-only homeopathic medical society founded in 1838. The society grew out of another homeopathic medical society called The Hahnemann Society, which was formed in 1833. The Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia was largely seen as a continuation of the Hahnemann Society, and would later become an important forebearer of the influential Homeopathic Medical Society of Pennsylvania, founded in 1866.



Collection No. 077

Lippe Society of Philadelphia records

1880 - 1880 (bulk 1880 - 1880); .5 linear feet

The Lippe Society of Philadelphia was a seemingly small and short lived homeopathic Society founded in January of 1880. The Lippe Society of Philadelphia was named after Dr. Adolphus Lippe, a prominent homeopathic physician who played a leading role in the early years of Hahnemann Medical College. It is unclear whether Dr. Lippe was involved in the creation of The Lippe Society. Contains book of proceedings 1880, 1 volume.



Collection No. 078

Bradford Homeopathy Scrapbooks

1847 - 1918 (bulk 1847 - 1918); .5 linear feet

Dr. Thomas Lindsley Bradford [1847-1918] was a homeopathic physician and historian of homeopathy. He graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania (the forebearer to Hahnemann Medical College) in 1869 and studied under Dr. Adolphus Lippe. Dr. Bradford practiced homeopathic medicine for nearly 30 years but is best known for his work recording the history of homeopathy. His works include The Homeopathic Biography of the United States (1892), The Pioneers of Homeopathy (1898), and The Life and Letters of Samuel Hahnemann (1895). Contains a photo album and an "Excerpts Against Homeopathy" scrapbook.



Collection No. 079

Thomas L. Bradford Scrapbooks

1890 - 1920 (bulk 1890 - 1920); .5 linear feet

Dr. Thomas Lindsley Bradford [1847-1918] was a homeopathic physician and historian of homeopathy. He graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania (the forebearer to Hahnemann Medical College) in 1869 and studied under Dr. Adolphus Lippe. Dr. Bradford practiced homeopathic medicine for nearly 30 years but is best known for his work recording the history of homeopathy. His works include The Homeopathic Biography of the United States (1892), The Pioneers of Homeopathy (1898), and The Life and Letters of Samuel Hahnemann (1895). These scrapbooks compiled by Dr. T. L. Bradford, are on "Materia Medica Clippings", "Homeopathic Scrap Book" and a scrapbook on the Hahnemann Monument.



Collection No. 080

Thomas Bradford Scrapbooks

1880 - 1910 (bulk 1880 - 1910); .3 linear feet

Dr. Thomas Lindsley Bradford [1847-1918] was a homeopathic physician and historian of homeopathy. He graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania (the forebearer to Hahnemann Medical College) in 1869 and studied under Dr. Adolphus Lippe. Dr. Bradford practiced homeopathic medicine for nearly 30 years but is best known for his work recording the history of homeopathy. His works include The Homeopathic Biography of the United States (1892), The Pioneers of Homeopathy (1898), and The Life and Letters of Samuel Hahnemann (1895). Contains notices, reports, clippings chiefly concerning the American Institute of Homeopathy. Includes a section on Lachesis, a homeopathic cure derived from the venom of the Bushmaster snake.



Collection No. 081

Thomas Bradford Scrapbooks

1895 - 1932 (bulk 1895 - 1932); .5 linear feet

NOTE: This collection description is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 082

Dr. James L. Kitchen papers

1821 - 1840 (bulk 1821 - 1840); .5 linear feet

NOTE: This collection description is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 083

Dr. Arthur Maynard Eastman papers

1876 - 1881 (bulk 1876 - 1881); .5 linear feet

Dr. Arthur Maynard Eastman [1855-1923] graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1879 under the instruction of renowned American homeopath Dr. Constantine Hering. After his graduation, Dr. Eastman practiced homeopathy in Pennsylvania and New York before returning to his home state of Minnesota to practice in St. Paul. The materials in this collection pertain to Dr. Eastman’s time as a student at Hahnemann Medical College and his brief period of practice at the Homeopathic Hospital of New York. Contains “Practice of medicine and pathology; notes from J. P. Dake” (1876-77), at HMC. “Notes on materia medica” from lectures by E. A. Farrington, (1876-78) (at HMC). Record of autopsies, Homeopathic Hospital, Ward's Island, N.Y. 1880-1881, as a special pathologist.



Collection No. 084

George Pleasanton papers- Student Notes

1885 - 1887 (bulk 1885 - 1887); .5 linear feet

George W. Pleasanton of Delaware was a student at Hahnemann Medical College and graduated in 1887. Contains multiple student notebooks belonging to Mr. Peasanton from 1885-87.



Collection No. 085

Commonplace book

undated; .3 linear feet

This undated, unsigned book is similar to other students' notebooks, and it contains descriptions of medical conditions and their remedies.



Collection No. 086

Dr. Malcolm Macfarlan Cash Accounts Register records

1885 - 1921 (bulk 1885 - 1921); .5 linear feet

Dr. Malcolm Macfarlan [1841-1921] was a surgeon for the Union Army in the American Civil War and, in 1867, went on to become a celebrated Professor of Clinical Surgery at Hahnemann Medical College. Contains the cash accounting from 1885-1921.



Collection No. 087

Dr. Amos Russell Thomas papers

1890 - 1895 (bulk 1890 - 1895); .5 linear feet

Dr. Amos Russell Thomas [1827-1895] was a surgeon and prominent professor of anatomy. He was born and resided in New York until he relocated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1854. There he was appointed to be a demonstrator of anatomy at the Pennsylvania Medical University, and was Chair of Anatomy from 1856 to 1866. During that time he was also a lecturer on artistic anatomy at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. In 1867 he was appointed chair of anatomy at Hahnemann Medical College and held that position until his death in 1895. Contains Alumni Association of the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia, 1894. Also contains the program for the jubilee anniversary of Dr. Thomas for 40 years service to Hahnemann Medical College and resolutions on the death of Dr. Thomas in 1895. Also contains a photograph album.



Collection No. 088

Dr. Adolphus Lippe papers

1812 - 1888 (bulk 1812 - 1888); .5 linear feet

Dr. Adolphus Lippe was a prominent homeopathic physician who practiced from 1841 until his death in 1888. Born in Germany, Dr. Lippe immigrated to the United States to learn medicine and graduated from the North American Academy of Homeopathic Medicine in 1841. After graduating, Dr. Lippe practiced across western and central Pennsylvania, eventually settling in Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, Dr. Lippe practiced, and also lectured on Materia Medica at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. He would later become chair of Materia Medica there from 1864 to 1869. Dr. Lippe died in Philadelphia on January 23, 1888, after decades of dedicated work in homeopathy. The Adolph Lippe collection consists primarily of letters and correspondence. The majority of the material concerns official day to day administrative tasks at the Homeopathic College of Pennsylvania. This includes letters written by him, addressed to him, and involving him. The majority of the material is centered on the period from 1856-1869, and there are very few items outside of that date range. This collection is valuable to researchers studying the administrative workings of homeopathic institutions in the mid-19th century as well as specifically at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania.



Collection No. 089

George R. Mattice papers.

1904 - 1904 (bulk 1904 - 1904); .5 linear feet

George R. Mattice was the secretary of Hahnemann Medical College during the first decade of the 20th century. He also collected a number of biographical materials on his colleagues and other homeopathic physicians, such as his 1904 volume “ Homeopathic Physicians of the United States”. Contains one volume, Homeopathic physicians of the United States. Compiled from Polk's Medical Register 1904 and other sources.



Collection No. 090

Schoch Medical Recipe Book

1849 - 1849 (bulk 1849 - 1849); .5 linear feet

NOTE: This collection description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 091

Dr. Henry Newell Guernsey papers

1852 - 1880 (bulk 1852 - 1880); .5 linear feet

Dr. Henry Newell Guernsey was a homeopathic physician, surgeon, and obstetrician who practiced in Philadelphia from 1844 until April 1885. He graduated from the New York University College of Medicine in 1844 and moved to Philadelphia where he began practicing medicine. In his career, Dr. Guernsey was a member of many influential homeopathic societies and organizations, and served as a professor at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in both Obstetrics and Materia Medica. He was also the Dean of Faculty at the college from 1866-1869 and 1871-1874. Dr. Guernsey was one of the key innovators of the “keynote system” of homeopathic prescription. He died from pulmonary tuberculosis on June 27, 1885. The Henry Newell Guernsey collection consists mainly of correspondences and reference materials, mostly dating from the 1860s-1884, with some material from the 1850s. The correspondences mainly pertain to the practice and state of homeopathy, the projects of Dr. Guernsey and others, and the administrative workings of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. There are also considerable correspondences written by and addressed to his son, Dr. Joseph Collourn Guernsey. The reference materials mainly pertain to the history and spread of homeopathy in North America, but there are also a large number of materials regarding the organization and operation of many homeopathic societies and organizations Dr. Guernsey was a member of. This collection would be useful to researchers studying the history and practice of homeopathy in the mid 19th century, due to the amount of material on the subject compiled by Dr. Guernsey. This collection would also be of use to researchers studying the major homeopathic societies and organizations of the time, as there are many materials documenting meetings, administrative aspects, and organization of these groups.



Collection No. 092

Theodore Geiger Notebooks

1852 - 1854 (bulk 1852 - 1854); .5 linear feet

Dr. Theodore S. Geiger was a student at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1852 to 1854, and almost nothing is known about him or his life. He was from Manchester, Maryland, graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1854, and alumni records indicate he died in 1863. His nephew Dr. Edmund Geiger Shower, whose materials can also be found in this collection, was also a homeopathic physician and graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1878. He was also from Manchester, Maryland but settled in Franklin County, Pennsylvania after graduating in 1878. Despite the name of the Theodore Geiger Class Notes Collection, the material included goes far beyond Dr. Geiger and a large portion of this collection also belongs to Dr. Shower. The material in this collection includes Dr. Geiger’s class notebooks dating from 1853 and 1854, as well as Dr. Shower’s reference materials dating from 1876. There are also numerous miscellaneous photocopied documents from the family, medical instruments, and other documents in this collection. Despite its wide range of topics, this collection would be very useful for researchers studying the curriculum and everyday classes of The Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, and what homeopathy students at the college and in general were studying during the 1850s. It would also be very useful for researchers studying what homeopathic physicians were referencing at the time, as well as how homeopathic physicians were creating and mixing their prescriptions and what was going into them.



Collection No. 093

Dr. John Stolz Notebooks

1931 - 1949 (bulk 1931 - 1949); .5 linear feet

Dr, John C. Stolz [1908-2003] was a radiologist who graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1935. After completing his post-graduate training in radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Stolz became the Head of the Radiology Department at the Community General Hospital in Reading, Pennsylvania. Dr. Stolz served as Head of the Radiology Department there until 1976. Contains a student book from 1931 belonging to a student attending Hahnemann Medical College. The notebook contains notes distributed to the freshman class to be memorized. The notebooks were donated by Dr.John C. Stolz in 1935. The collection also contains a student composition book from Dr. Amos Reusser [1869 -1952] which contains his notes on Caesar, materia medica, histology, etc. Reusser’s student composition book also contains speech notes for his Family Doctor of the Year Award in 1949.



Collection No. 094

Jack J. Rommer papers

1846 - 1908 (bulk 1846 - 1870); .5 linear feet

Contains important early homeopathic material, including material on the Hospital Ladies' Association, Dr. Constantine Hering, Dr. Adolphus Lippe, Dr. Charles Mohr, Dr. Adolphus Fellger, Homeopathic news from the time, the American Provers Union, American Institute of Homeopathy, and additional material. Also includes the first announcement of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, the First commencement invitation of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania 1849 Women's Hospital Association, the first American Rept, 1886 Material on Great Fair of 1869, Central Eclectic Medical Society, and medical sketches.



Collection No. 095

Samuel Hahnemann Correspondence

1831 - 1956 (bulk - ); .5 linear feet

Christian Freidrich Samuel Hahnemann [1755-1843] was a German physician known to be the father of homeopathic medicine. His teachings, techniques and writings were the main basis of homeopathic medical practice, and he was seen and studied as a guiding figure by the homeopathic physicians of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Contains letters of Samuel Hahnemann with some translations, including Melanie [D'Hervilly] Hahnemann, his wife; Amalie Suss, his daughter, and Leopold Suss-Hahnemann, his grandson.



Collection No. 96-97

Constantine Hering papers

NOTE: This collection description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 098

Unsorted manuscripts

1870 - 1890 (bulk 1870 - 1890); 1.0 linear feet

These miscellaneous materials contain photo albums, clippings, and lecture tickets from Hahnemann Medical College. The materials date from the late 1800s.



Collection No. 100

Hering-Knerr collection

NOTE: This collection description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 100a

Rudolph Hering & Dr. Constantine Hering papers

.3 linear feet

Dr. Constantine Hering [1800-1880] was a pioneer in homeopathy and is largely credited with popularizing the practice of Homeopathy in the United States. Born in Saxony, in present day Germany, he immigrated to the United States in 1833 and founded several of the nation’s first homeopathic institutions, such as the Hahnemann Society of Philadelphia, the North American Academy on Homeopathic Medicine (Allentown Academy), and was a founding member of Hahnemann Medical College’s precursor institution, the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. His son, Rudolph Hering [1847-1923], was a renowned civil engineer and is considered one of the pioneering figures in environmental engineering. He was instrumental in constructing Prospect Park in New York City, New York, and Fairmount Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is also known for his pioneering studies of water filtration, and his role in the reversing of the Chicago River. Contains mostly photocopies of other material. A few prints.



Collection No. 104

Hahnemann Hospital Corporate records

1834 - 1918 (bulk 1870 - 1880); 1.3 linear feet

Early records of Hahnemann Hospital, including correspondence, mortgages, vouchers, and additional material. Hahnemann Hospital was opened in 1890 after Hahnemann Medical College cut ties with the independent Homeopathic Hospital of Philadelphia. Hahnemann Hospital moved to its permanent location in 1928, and continued to be a prominent Philadelphia hospital until it closed in 2019.



Collection No. 105

Paracelsus

NOTE: This collection description is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 106

Harold A. Krohn papers

1927 - 1939 (bulk 1930 - 1939); 2.0 linear feet

Contains student materials from the 1930s, including notes, class projects, and medical pamphlets on different subjects. The materials were donated by Harold A. Krohn, a Hahnemann Medical College graduate from 1939.



Collection No. 113

Planning and Marketing records

1972 - 1995 (bulk 1980 - 1995); 1.3 linear feet

Contains various planning and marketing materials for Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, mostly finalized documents and reports.



Collection No. 114

Dr. Louis F. Albright papers

1930 - 2003 (bulk 1990 - 2003); .3 linear feet

Dr. Louis F. Albright is a cardiologist who graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1930. He went on to hold various administrative positions at the Jersey Shore University Medical Center between 1942 and 1976. These positions include Director of the Division of Cardiovascular Disease (1942-1976), Director of Medicine (1946-1965), and Chief of Staff (1953-1959). Contains papers of Dr. Louis F. Albright, including a CV and obituary, and an oral history tape and transcript.



Collection No. 115

Katherine Rhodes Lowe papers

2002 - 2002 (bulk 2002 - 2002); .3 linear feet

Contains two handmade autobiographies of the life of Katherine Rhodes Lowe, a nursing graduate of Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing, class of 1947.



Collection No. 116

Maude Allen Graham papers

1923 - 1927 (bulk 1923 - 1927); .3 linear feet

Contains various materials relating to Maude Allen Graham, a Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing graduate, Class of 1927. Includes nursing diploma, license, pins, photos, etc., Visitors card, class ring, photo album, correspondence.


Collection No. 117

Provost Departmental records

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 118

Montgomery

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 119

Torres Physiology

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 120

Crowell Microbiology

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 122

Hahnemann Medical College Legal records

1976 - 1992 (bulk 1976 - 1992); 2.0 linear feet

Hospital policies, procedures, manuals, and legal and financial information dating from the late 1970s to the early 1990s.



Collection No.

Joseph R. DiPalma

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 124

Dr. Wison A. Foust papers - Central Pennsylvania Homeopathic Society

1933 - 1979(bulk 1933 - 1979); 1.5 linear feet

Dr. Wilson A. Foust [1905-2007] was a homeopathic physician and graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1929. He operated a medical practice in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania until his retirement in 1990. He was also an active and prominent member of the Central Pennsylvania Homeopathic Society. Contains material relating to the Central Pennsylvania Homeopathic Society, mostly ledgers and financial information, along with a minute book and a membership roster.



Collection No.

Pharmacology course materials

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 126

Hahnemann Hospital Association records

1947 - 1994 (bulk 1947 - 1994); .3 linear feet

Contains materials pertaining to the Hahnemann Hospital Association of the Hahnemann Hospital of Philadelphia, such as Center City Twig, financial statements, blank address books, Hahnemann Hospital Association handbook 1994-1995, "Hahnemann Night with Horace Heidt" bound program book (1948), material and invitations for balls and parties held by the association, folder of photographs, financial ledger, flyers and promotional materials for events.



Collection No. 127

Dr. William A. Pearson papers

1910 - 1950 (bulk 1920 - 1945); 1.0 linear feet

Dr. William A. Pearson [1871-1959] was a professor of biological chemistry and Dean of Students at Hahnemann Medical College. He began teaching at Hahnemann Medical College in 1906 as Head of the Chemistry Department, and continued in his role of Head of the Chemistry Department until 1948. Dr. Pearson acted as the Dean of Students at Hahnemann Medical College from 1914 to 1944. Contains materials of William A. Pearson, Ph. D. correspondence, some photographs, some photocopied publications, pencils from 1926, framed portrait of W. A. Pearson, and books.



Collection No. 128

Likoff Institute for Cardiovascular Research records

1970 - 1985 (bulk 1970 - 1980); 1.0 linear feet

Dr. William Likoff was a renowned cardiologist and was president of the American College of Cardiology from 1967-1968 and graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, class of 1938. Later in 1975, he helped play a key role in founding the Likoff Institute for Cardiovascular Research at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. Two years later in 1977 he became the president of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. Contains numerous photos, mostly for promotional use, of "scenes" in medical facilities, groups of doctors, and other public relations type photos.



Collection No. 129

Hahnemann Alumni Association

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 130

Dr. Thomas S. Dunning Collection

1890 - 1930 (bulk 1910 - 1920); 1.0 linear feet

Dr. Thomas “Bud” Dunning [1876-1954] was a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, class of 1902. After graduating, Dr. Dunning was a practicing physician in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and for a period after a divorce, in Nevada. Contains medical ephemera from the early 20th century.



Collection No. 131

Student Life Center 1993

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 132

Snyder, Abdelhak Robes

NOTE: This collection is part of the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and its description is temporarily unavailable; our apologies for any inconvenience.


Collection No. 133

G. Shaffer papers

1908 - 1944 (bulk 1908 - 1944); .3 linear feet

Contains the book Elementary dermatology, 5th ed. (1941) belonging to R. Bernstein, bacteriology lecture notes and laboratory exercises (1944) belonging to G.O. Favorite, and the 1908-1909 notebook of H. G. Horton, Medico-Chirurgical College and Hospital class of 1912.



Collection No. 134

Dr. Lewis Soloff Scrapbook

1973 - 1973 (bulk 1973 - 1973); .3 linear feet

Dr. Lewis A. Soloff [1904-1998] was a cardiologist at Temple University Hospital. Dr. Soloff received his medical degree from the University of Chicago in 1930, and that same year joined the Temple University staff as a pathology and medicine instructor. From 1954 to 1970, Dr. Soloff was the Chief of Cardiology at Temple University Hospital, as well as a professor at the Temple University School of Medicine. Contains one scrapbook in a binder, with photographs, awards, CV and bibliography, newspaper clippings.



Collection No. 135

Rosenberg - Malignant Hyperthermia

NOTE: This collection description is part of the the larger Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records collection and is temporarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience.



Collection No. 136

F. James

1930 - 1950 (bulk 1930 - 1950); .3 linear feet

Contains One folder of miscellaneous memorabilia and two yearbooks.



Collection No. 137

Dr. Willis L. Dixon papers

1940 - 1950 (bulk 1940 - 1950); .3 linear feet

Dr. Willis L. Dixon [1922-2008] was a physician from Grand Rapids, Michigan, who, after serving in the U.S. Army, graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1948. Dr. Dixon also served with the Navy Medical Corps in the Korean War from 1950 to 1953. Specializing in internal medicine, he operated a practice in Grand Rapids from 1953 until his retirement in 1992. Contains various personal papers, memberships, certificates, plaques.



Collection No. 138

Dr. Lewis K. Woodward papers

1881 - 1920 (bulk 1881 - 1920); .3 linear feet

Dr. Lewis Klair Woodward, was a physician and graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, Class of 1898. After graduating, Dr. Woodward returned to his hometown of Westminster, Maryland, and practiced medicine there until the late 1950s. Contains the papers of Dr. Woodward, including photographs, course materials, certificates, and additional materials.



Collection No. 139

Dr. Wilson A. Foust papers

1910 - 2007 (bulk 1920 - 1930); .3 linear feet

Dr. Wilson A. Foust [1905-2007] was a homeopathic physician and graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1929. He operated a medical practice in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania until his retirement in 1990. He was also an active and prominent member of the Central Pennsylvania Homeopathic Society. Contains personal materials and an engraved stamp for printing of the Medic.



Collection No.

Barbara Eberly papers

1956 - 1958 (bulk 1956 - 1958); .3 linear feet

Barbara O. Eberly [1920-2012] was a nurse and missionary who graduated from the Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing. She practiced as a registered nurse in Ephrata, Pennsylvania from 1959 to 1973. Contains nursing photos and a doll.



Collection No. ?

Dr. Charles Bailey papers

1980 - 1990 (bulk 1980 - 1990); .5 linear feet

A miscellaneous collection from Dr. Charles P. Bailey [1910-1993], mostly illustrations and diagrams of heart surgery, as well as a case of surgical slides. Dr. Bailey was a renowned heart surgeon and is known for pioneering methods for surgery on the mitral valve in 1946, which greatly expanded the possibilities of viable heart surgeries. Dr. Bailey graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1932. After his graduation he went on to become the Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Hahnemann Hospital during the 1940s and 1950s. From 1956 to 1961 Dr. Bailey was the Director of Cardiovascular Surgery at Deborah Heart and Lung Center, and was also the Director of General Surgery at New York Medical College from 1959-1962. Aside from teaching and lecturing in various capacities, Dr. Bailey also earned a law degree from Fordham University Law School in the late 1960s, and after taking up work as a legal consultant, he had stopped conducting surgeries by the mid 1970s.



Collection No. ?

Dr. Ivan Boszormenyi-Nagy Books

1984 - 1987 (bulk 1984 - 1987); .3 linear feet

Contains two books, one written by Dr. Ivan Boszormenyi-Nagy [1920-2007]. "Invisible Loyalties" (1984), and another, the collected papers of Ivan Boszormenyi-Nagy, "Foundations of Contextual Therapy" (1987). Dr. Ivan Boszormenyi-Nagy was a psychiatrist born in Hungary who immigrated to the American city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1950. Dr. Nagy is known for his founding theoretical role in the psychiatric field of family therapy. He was the Chief of the Family Therapy Section in the Department of Psychiatry at Hahnemann Medical College from 1976 to 1994. Dr. Nagy was also a key founding member of the Family Institute of Philadelphia, the American Family Therapy Academy, and the Institute for Contextual Growth.



Collection No. ?

Hahnemann letter opener

1905 - 1905 (bulk 1905 - 1905); .3 linear feet

Contains (brass?) deco style letter opener with engraving that reads, "10th Annual Dinner, W. B. Van Lennep, Clinical Club, March 7th 1905, Bellevue-Stratford"



Collection No.

Dr. Walter Edmundson papers

1950 - 1985 (bulk 1950 - 1980); .3 linear feet

Dr. Walter F. Edmundson III was a physician and graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, class of 1941. Contains material on his pinta [sp?] studies in the 1950s, clippings on DDT and other public health issues (1969-1985), and a reprint of 1941 article, "Sectarian Medicine is No Longer Necessary or Desirable"



Collection No.

Hahnemann Alumni Association of the Lehigh Valley records

1956 - 1984 (bulk 1956 - 1984); .5 linear feet

Contains a scrapbook of the Hahnemann Alumni Association of the Lehigh Valley, 1956-1984. Includes minutes, constitution/by-laws, publications, membership list, and additional materials. The Hahnemann Alumni Association of the Lehigh Valley was formerly known as the Lehigh Valley Homeopathic Medical Society, which was founded by homeopathic physicians in the Lehigh Valley in 1881. In 1920, the Lehigh Valley Homeopathic Medical Society was renamed to the Hahnemann Alumni Association of the Lehigh Valley, given that the majority of the group’s members were Hahnemann Medical College alumni.



Collection No.

Small Collections Collection

1875 - 1990 (bulk 1930 - 1970); .5 linear feet

Contains material from: Giammattei, Francis Acc. 352 Chiappe, Margherita Berger Acc. 377 David, Mitchell Acc. 380 Santucci, Matilda Santilli Acc. 382 Letter, Lowell Lane, 384 Ondovchak, M. Frederick Acc. 385 Sharkey, William Penn Acc. 386 Becker, George L. Acc. 387 Schell, Gary F. Acc. 388



Collection No. OS-1

Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Board of Trustees minutes

1974 - 1977 (bulk 1974 - 1977); .3 linear feet

Minutes of the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia Board of Trustees, June 1974-April 1977, and boards and committees. Also includes Alumni Association Agreement, fiscal reorganization, IHRD approval, Stiles Estate, Diesel construction contract.



Collection No. OS-40 through OS-50

Division of Medical Affairs and Hahnemann Hospital records

1950 - 1991 (bulk 1960 - 1989); 4.3 linear feet

Hahnemann Hospital was opened in 1890 after Hahnemann Medical College cut ties with the independent Homeopathic Hospital of Philadelphia. Hahnemann Hospital moved to its permanent location in 1928, and continued to be a prominent Philadelphia hospital until it closed in 2019. Collection includes Council on Health Affairs and Medical Staff Executive Committee minutes, Hospital Management and Administration Group Minutes, Medical Staff Minutes, status reports, updates, and lists, Hospital Administration, Departments, and Facilities, including schedules, licenses, clinical units and centers.



Collection No. OS 111-113

Dr. Charles Bailey Personal papers

1940 - 1980 (bulk 1940 - 1980); 1.5 linear feet

Articles and publications written by Charles Philamore Bailey, along with research materials, mostly regarding heart surgery. Dr. Bailey was a renowned heart surgeon and is known for pioneering methods for surgery on the mitral valve in 1946, which greatly expanded the possibilities of viable heart surgeries. Dr. Bailey graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1932. After his graduation he went on to become the Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Hahnemann Hospital during the 1940s and 1950s. From 1956 to 1961 Dr. Bailey was the Director of Cardiovascular Surgery at Deborah Heart and Lung Center, and was also the Director of General Surgery at New York Medical College from 1959-1962. Aside from teaching and lecturing in various capacities, Dr. Bailey also earned a law degree from Fordham University Law School in the late 1960s, and after taking up work as a legal consultant, he had stopped conducting surgeries by the mid 1970s.



Collection No. OS-114

Barr papers

1963 - 1977 (bulk 1963 - 1977); .5 linear feet

Contains material on several areas of the Department of Mental Health Sciences and the Community Mental Health Center (CMHC) of Hahnemann Medical College, including descriptive and planning material on CMHC, Family Therapy MS Program, MCAT, reorganization of the department, Research and Evaluation, and additional materials. Additionally contains the Department of Psychology Executive Committee minutes dating from 1967 to 69, Child Psychology Adv. Conferences (1965-67), as well as the Department of Mental Health Science Newsletter, and Research and Evaluation Reports.



Collection No. OS-119

Dr. Luther Weldon Brady Jr. papers

1960s - 1970 (bulk 1960 - 1970); .3 linear feet

Dr. Luther W. Brady [1925-2018] was a renowned radiation oncologist who, after studying postgraduate in the U.S. Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland, Jefferson Medical College and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, began practicing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1956. In 1959 he began practicing at Hahnemann Hospital, and went on in 1963 to be appointed as a professor at Hahnemann Medical College. In 1970, Dr. Brady rose to be appointed the Chair of the Department of Radiation Oncology and Nuclear Medicine at Hahnemann Medical College, and he held this position until the late 1990s. Dr. Brady continued his medical work until his death in 2018, and in 2006 he founded Philadelphia CyberKnife, a revolutionary new technique of radiological treatment. He was also an active and important supporter of the arts in Philadelphia, and held executive and board positions at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Opera Company of Philadelphia. Contains selected reprints from Dr. Luther Weldon Brady, Jr., representing his work in the Hahnemann Medical College Department of Radiation Therapy and Nuclear Medicine.



Collection No. OS 120

Dr. Charles Cameron and Mary Papanicolaou Personal papers

1960 - 1983 (bulk 1960 - 1980); .5 linear feet

Andromache ”Mary” Papanicolaou [1890-1982] was the wife and lab technician of Dr. George Papanicolaou [1883-1962], a cytopathologist and researcher known for developing the Pap Smear. Mrs. Papanicolaou was instrumental in Dr. Papanicolaou’s discovery of the cervical screening method due to the fact that she volunteered as a test subject for Dr. Papanicolaou’s cervical screening experiments almost daily. The Pap Smear is considered one of the leading breakthroughs in cancer detection, and is used to detect cervical cancer at treatable stages. The Pap Smear is also used for the detection of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and was vital to the creation of an HPV vaccine. Dr. Charles Cameron [1908-1998] was an influential early member of the American Cancer Society, and worked closely with Dr. Papanicolaou in organizing the First National Cytology Conference in 1948 where Dr. Papanicolaou presented, standardized, and trained others in delivering and reading the results of a Pap Smear. Dr. Cameron joined the American Cancer Society in 1948 as the Medical and Scientific Director and served as Vice President of the American Cancer Society before he left in 1956. In 1956 he was appointed Dean of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, and later went onto become President and Chairman of the Board of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. Contains in the Cameron files are a listing of his other files, a biography, correspondence, publication clippings. Contained in the Papanicolaou files are Nobel Prize nomination letters, letter to Cameron, biography, letters from Papanicolaou, Cancer Research Institute dedication address, brochures, letters, and centennial material (1983).



Collection No. OS 121

Marjorie Carmosin papers

1950 - 1960 (bulk 1950 - 1960); .5 linear feet

Marjorie R. Carmosin was the Director of Communications and the Director of Public Relations for Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. Before her time at Hahnemann Medical College, Mrs. Carmosin was also the Director of Publicity for the Drexel Institute of Technology. Contains binders relating to Mrs.Carmosin's larger collection. They are consolidated exhibit files related to women in advertising, publicity campaigns, and Hahnemann symposia.



Collection No. OS-122

Violet Detwiler papers

1928 - 1950 (bulk 1928 - 1950); .3 linear feet

Violet V. Detwiler was a 1928 graduate of Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing. Contains programs from Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing, 60th Anniversary class reunion in 1950, and the 50th Anniversary class reunion in 1940. Also a commencement program, and material from alumni day 1937. Also includes a Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing roster (1926-27) and a Photograph of the class of 1928. Also contains several nursing pins.



Collection No. OS 123

Dr. Joseph DiPalma papers

1939 - 1980 (bulk 1939 - 1980); .3 linear feet

Dr. Joseph R. DiPalma [1916- 2011] was a pharmacologist and dean of Hahnemann Medical College. After receiving a medical degree from the Long Island University School of Medicine, he came to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1950, and was appointed Chair of the Pharmacology Department at Hahnemann Medical College in 1951. He served in this position until 1968 when he became Dean of Hahnemann Medical College and Vice President of Academic Affairs. He stepped down to become Associate Dean for Continuing Education in 1982, and officially retired in 1986. Contains research notes and first full length paper, 1939. Letter of congratulations from Eugene Landis 1950, Nomination letter for chair of Pharmacology, testimonial dinner, 27 Sept. 1980.



Collection No. OS-126

Dr. Daniel C. Gajdusek papers

1970 - 1983 (bulk 1970 - 1980); .5 linear feet

Dr. Daniel Carleton Gajdusek [1923-2008] was a Nobel Prize winning virologist. Dr. Gajdusek is best known for his research work on prion, or protein based, diseases, most specifically the Kuru disease. He worked on this research primarily in the South Pascific region of New Guinea starting in 1957. He won the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1976. From 1970 to 1997 he also acted as the Head of the Brain Studies Laboratory at the National Institute of Neurological Disease and Stroke. Dr. Gajdusek also received an honorary doctorate from Hahnemann Medical College in 1983. Contains correspondence, a published bibliography, his Nobel lecture with biography in 1976, signed selected reprints, and a photograph.



Collection No. OS 127

Dr. Pasquale Guarini papers

1901 - 1942 (bulk 1901 - 1942); .5 linear feet

Dr. Pasquale B. Guarini [1916-2003] was a physician and graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, Class of 1942. Dr. Guarini was involved with the creation of the Medic, the annual yearbook of Hahnemann Medical College. Contains original copies of photos from the 1942 Medic, a senior class list from 1941-42, two homeopathic remedy books, Condensed Therapeutics by Luyties Pharmaceutical Co., and Materia Medica by Boericke, along with a notebook and a copy of Physician's Handbook.



Collection No. OS-128-129

Dr. Richard R. Gutekunst Collection

1947 - 1979 (bulk 1947 - 1979); .8 linear feet

Dr. Richard R. Gutekunst [1927-2018] was a bacteriologist and dean of Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Gutekunst was a U.S. Navy vetran and served as a pharmacist’s mate during World War II. While in the U.S. Naval Reserves, Dr. Gutekunst earned a degree in bacteriology from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science in 1951. He then returned to military service as an commissioned Ensign in the U.S. Navy Medical Service Corps during the Korean War. Dr. Gutekunst retired from the Navy in 1968, and became a professor as well as the Dean of Hahnemann Medical College. He served as a professor and dean until 1980, when he became Dean of the College of Health Related Professions at the University of Florida. Dr. Gutekunst retired in 1995. Contains lecture notes for various microbiology courses in the mid 1970s, undergraduate notes from Muhlenberg College, 1947-48, Biography, bibliography, and photographs



Collection No. OS-130

Joyce Willoughby Heacock papers

1953 - 1965 (bulk 1953 - 1960); .5 linear feet

Nursing materials from Joyce Willoughby Heacock, a student at the Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing, Class of 1956. Contains a nursing procedure manual from 1953-54 along with assorted forms from the 1960s and a small drug booklet, 1890.



Collection No. OS-131-131a

Dr. William Likoff Personal papers

1944 - 1978 (bulk 1944 - 1978); .8 linear feet

Dr. William Likoff was a renowned cardiologist and was president of the American College of Cardiology from 1967-1968 and graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, class of 1938. Later in 1975, he helped play a key role in founding the Likoff Institute for Cardiovascular Research at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. Two years later in 1977 he became the president of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital.y. Contains Dr. Likoff’s CV, bibliography, some correspondence, photographs, news clippings, and reprints, as well as awards and certificates.



Collection No. OS-132

Dr. Arthur James Morgan papers

1900 - 1960 (bulk 1900 - 1960); .5 linear feet

Dr. Arthur James Morgan (1893-1973) was a prominent radiologist and X-ray technician at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. During his 61-year career he was seen as one of the leading radiologists in America. He joined the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital staff in 1911 and shortly after contributed to the development of the Crozier-Morgan X-ray tube. In 1921 he founded the School for X-Ray Technicians at Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Morgan worked as a radiologist and X-ray technician until his retirement in 1972. Collection includes a scrapbook regarding the School of X-ray technicians, early x-ray tubes, x-ray history, and classes of students from the 1940s-50s.



Collection No. OS-133

Dr. John H. Moyer papers

1958 - 1975 (bulk 1960 - 1975); .5 linear feet

Dr. John H. Moyer [1917-2004] was a medical researcher and professor at Hahnemann Medical College. He is known for his numerous publications, as well as his developmental research work on Diuril, an early and effective blood pressure medication, and his work on developing the first portable dialysis machine. From 1957 to 1974, Dr. Moyer acted as the Chair of Medicine at Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, and later went on to become the Medical Director at Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital from 1974 to 1988. Contains a biography, bibliography, and photographs, focused on the Department of Medicine history and early hypertension research. Also contains information on the first Hahnemann symposium in 1958, on hypertension.



Collection No. OS-134

Dr. Gaddo Onesti papers

1970 - 1976 (bulk 1970 - 1976); .3 linear feet

Dr. Gaddo Onesti was a nephrologist and expert on hypertension from Italy. After graduating from the University of Pisa School of Medicine, he immigrated to America and worked at the City Hospital in Newark, New Jersey, and as a fellow of renology and hypertension at Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Onesti continued at Hahnemann Medical College as a professor of medicine and pharmacology in the Division of Nephrology and Hypertension at Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Onesti was also a prominent researcher and authored numerous works of hypertension and nephrological research. Contains selected reprinted papers and a book, Hemodialysis in the Home (1976).



Collection No. OS-135

Dr. William A. Pearson papers

1890 - 1950 (bulk 1890 - 1950); .5 linear feet

Dr. William A. Pearson [1871-1959] was a professor of biological chemistry and physiology, and Dean of Students at Hahnemann Medical College. He began teaching at Hahnemann Medical College in 1906 as Head of the Chemistry Department, and continued in his role of Head of the Chemistry Department until 1948. Dr. Pearson acted as the Dean of Students at Hahnemann Medical College from 1914 to 1944. Contains Dr. Pearson’s biography, some correspondence, speeches, reprints, and photographs. Also includes the dean's report to faculty, 1934, and material from the American Institute of Homeopathy, Smith, Kline, and French, Harry Eberhard, Ferris Institute, and Parke, Davis, & Co. Also contains material from his wife, Mary Longworth Pearson. Articles on the history of Hahnemann Hospital Association, Woman's Homeopathic League, American Institute of Homeopathy, and Hospital Tidings.



Collection No. OS-136

Dr. Hobart A. Reimann papers

1950 - 1986 (bulk 1950 - 1986); .3 linear feet

Dr. Hobart Ansteth Reimann [1897-1986] was a renowned physician and infectious disease researcher. After receiving a medical degree from the University of Buffalo, he taught medicine in New York, China, and Czechoslovakia before accepting a position at Jefferson Medical College as a Magee Professor of Medicine in 1936. At Jefferson, he greatly expanded the Department of Medicine and became Chairman of Jefferson Medical College. In 1960, Dr. Reimann was appointed Professor of Medicine at Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Reimann was also an influential virologist, and one of the leading experts on the common cold and other periodic diseases. Aside from his medical work, Dr. Reimann was also a lover of the arts and a locally regarded painter. Contains selected photocopies of his classic papers, some correspondence, a biography, awards, obituary, clippings, and photographs. Also includes some paintings of his: One titled "The Pretzel Vendor" that was a cover of JAMA, and 4 Hahnemann faculty portraits.



Collection No. OS-137

Ruth Patten Selby papers

1950 - 1970 (bulk 1950 - 1970); .3 linear feet

Ruth Patten Selby was a graduate of the Hahnemann Hospital School of Nursing, Class of 1920. Contains material on the nursing school, including photos, material on the first training program for cardiac surgical nursing, letters and miscellaneous notes, a personal history written by patient Charles Bailey, and a Mike Angelo cartoon.



Collection No. OS-138

Frederick William Sunderman Collection

1970 - 1980 (bulk 1970 - 1980); .5 linear feet

Dr. Frederick William Sunderman [1898-2003] was a renowned clinical pathologist and physician. Dr. Sunderman graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1923, and worked at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania Hospital. During the Second World War Dr. Sunderman worked as a toxicologist for the U.S. Navy Office of Scientific Research and Development as well as the Manhattan Project. Dr. Sunderman, beginning in 1933, also acted as the Director of the Chemistry Division at the William Pepper Clinical Laboratory at the Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, where he developed a number of influential clinical quality control and proficiency testing techniques. Aside from his work at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Sunderman was a founding member of the American Board of Pathology in 1944, professor and head of the Department of Clinical Pathology at Temple University from 1947-1948, and the Director of the Institute for Clinical Science at Hahnemann Medical College in 1971. Dr. Sunderman won numerous awards, authored 100s of papers and was a lifelong violin player. Contains a biography, CV, and bibliography, as well as photographs. Also contains 14 books and manuals.



Collection No. OS-139

Vischer Family papers

1900 - 1995 (bulk 1900 - 1995); .3 linear feet

Contains material from Dr. Carl Victor Vischer, Sr. [1866-1906] and his sons, Dr. Carl Victor Vischer, Jr. [1896-1932] and Dr. Thomas John Vischer [1900-1978]. Dr. Carl Vischer, Sr graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1887 and was a noted surgeon who developed the appendectomy incision. He was also a founder of St. Luke's Hospital and the namesake of the Carl V. Vischer Medical and Surgical Society, founded in 1907 by a student of his, Dr. Desiderio Roman. Dr. Thomas Vischer was a prominent professor of Medicine and Physiology at Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Carl V. Vischer Jr. was a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and a research physician who taught internal medicine at Hahnemann Medical College. Contains personal and professional material and photographs, given by Mrs. Thomas Vischer.



Collection No. OS-140-144

Personal Collection Name Files

1930 - 1990 (bulk 1950 - 1990); 2.5 linear feet

Contain folders on various persons relevant to Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital. This can include alumni, faculty, and members of the community. They are filed alphabetically and contain news clippings, photographs, and other collected memorabilia.



Collection No. OS-145-146

Hahnemann Hospital Association records

1935 - 1985 (bulk 1950 - 1980); 1.0 linear feet

Contains materials from the Hahnemann Hospital Association of the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, including constitution, by-laws, annual reports, yearbook, membership rosters, bazaar awards, photographs, a newsletter, and cookbook.



Collection No. OS-147

Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Volunteer Services records

1960 - 1970 (bulk 1960 - 1970); .5 linear feet

Includes minutes from both the Volunteer Services and Volunteer Council, photographs, recognition luncheons, a handbook, biographies of Dr. Charles Hollis, Dr. Thomas Daldy, and Dr. Balvolek, Junior Band-Aids scrapbook, and additional materials.



Collection No. OS-148 through OS-153b

Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Alumni Association records

1884 - 2005 (bulk 1930 - 1990); 7.0 linear feet

Contains Hahnemann Alumni Association constitution, by-laws, lists of presidents, chairmen, and alumni members, board minutes, awards, class songs. Publications such as the bulletin, class anniversary books, homecoming weekend materials, alumni newsletters, Hahnemann University magazine, and other similar alumni publications.



Collection No. OS-154

Friends of Hahnemann records

1960 - 1972 (bulk 1960 - 1972); .3 linear feet

Contains by-laws from 1972, Amicus [publication] from 1960s, 1960 Friends of Hahnemann Party and photographs. Friends of Hahnemann was a fundraising organization affiliated with Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.



Collection No. OS-155-170

Hahnemann Hospital Nurses Alumni Association records

1894 - 1990 (bulk 1900 - 1980); 7.2 linear feet

Contains general information and records on the Hahnemann Hospital Nurses Alumni Association, minute books of meetings, financial information, photographs, and various other materials. The Hahnemann Hospital Nurses Alumni Association was an organization affiliated with Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.



Collection No. OS-171

Other Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital Organization records

1970 - 1986 (bulk 1970 - 1984); .7 linear feet

Contains records relating to various organizations affiliated with Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, including Alpha Eta Society, Alpha Omega Alpha, Sigma Xi Club, American Association of University Women, American Medical Women's Association and the Celebration on Women in Medicine (1983-1984), Black History Month Committee, Celebrations (1980-86).



Collection No. OS-181

Hahnemann Medical College Faculty and Student Articles

1954 - 1989 (bulk 1954 - 1988); .3 linear feet

Contains Hahnemann Medical College faculty bibliography for the years 1977-88, and Hahnemann Medical College student bibliography for the years 1954-60. Also includes various assorted Hahnemann Medical College student articles. Collection recommended for dismantle.



Collection No. OS-194

Hahnemann University Academic Convocations records

1975 - 1990 (bulk 1974 - 1990); .5 linear feet

Contains materials pertaining to academic convocations organized by Hahnemann University in the years 1974, 1984-90, and includes a list of honorary degrees on the collection box.



Collection No. 140

Hahnemann University and Hospital Office of Public Affairs records

1980 - 1999 (bulk 1985 - 1999); 22.0 linear feet

Contains chronologically organized files detailing press releases put out by the Public Affairs Office of Hahnemann University and Hospital. Approximately 1/3 of the collection consists of press clippings. Also contains other, older files from a different organizational system.



Collection No. 142

Hahnemann University and Hospital Alumni Association Board of Trustees records

1958 - 1992 (bulk 1980 - 1992); 3.0 linear feet

Contains meeting, election, and committee records dating from 1989 to June 1992, as well as materials related to “restructuring” dating from 1958 to 1983. Also includes board meeting minutes, committee meeting minutes, and administrative information from 1984 to 1988.



Collection No. 143

Hahnemann Hospital Nurses Alumni Association records

1970 - 1990 (bulk 1970 - 1990); .5 linear feet

Sparse material related to the Hahnemann Hospital Nurses' alumni association.



Collection No. 144

Hahnemann University Office of Development records

1980 - 1990 (bulk 1980 - 1990); 2.0 linear feet

Contains Office of Development and public relations files, including materials on commencement and convocation, and Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital President, Edward Wharton Shober, who served as President of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital from 1971 to 1977.



Collection No. 145

Hahnemann University Cardiovascular Institute records

1978 - 1990 (bulk 1978 - 1990); 8.0 linear feet

Contains board meeting minutes, committee discussions, and financial information for the Hahnemann University Cardiovascular Institute. The Hahnemann University Cardiovascular Institute was founded in 1975 as the Likoff Institute for Cardiovascular Research, but later came to be called the Hahnemann University Cardiovascular Institute.



Collection No. 146

Hahnemann University and Hospital Board of Trustees records

1980 - 1992 (bulk 1980 - 1992); 3.0 linear feet

Contains committee and financial reports from 1985 and 1986, Meeting booklets from September 1989 through November 1991, which belonged to Barbara Gary. Also includes materials from the Communications and development committees (1982-86).



Collection No. 147

Dr. Oscar Corn papers

1950 - 1980 (bulk 1960 - 1970); 1.0 linear feet

Dr. Oscar Corn [1917-1977] was an orthopedic physician and president of the Philadelphia Orthopedic Society. Dr. Corn graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1943, and after his graduation, served in the United States Army as a Captain from 1944 to 1946. He went on to become the Chief of Orthopedic Medicine at St. Joseph’s Hospital, then moved on to become a professor of orthopedic surgery at Hahnemann Medical College. He was a professor and staff member at Hahnemann Medical College until his death in 1977. He was also the Director of Spinal Surgery at Elizabethtown State Hospital for Children in Pennsylvania. Contains miscellaneous material relating to the professional life of Dr. Corn.



Collection No. 148

Dr. Edwin Todd Books

1980 - 1995 (bulk 1980 - 1990); .5 linear feet

Dr. Edwin M. Todd [1920-2015], was a world renowned neurosurgeon who was also active in pursuing interests in art history, literature, and law. Dr. Todd served as a Tech Sergeant in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in the Second World War, and following the war, pursued medical education at Temple University and Hahnemann Medical College. His research centered around deep brain implant electrodes and treatment of Parkinson’s Disease through neurosurgery. Dr. Todd is also credited alongside Dr. Trent Wells with the invention of the Todd-Wells Stereotactic Frame, a device that aids in neurosurgery. Dr. Todd also received a masters degree in Liberal Arts from the University of Southern California, a law degree from Loyola University, and a PhD in Renaissance History and Art from University of California, Los Angeles. Contains 10 bound books donated in 1997 by Dr. Todd, who was the illustrator and author of the books. They are nicely bound volumes, some medical texts and some poetry.



Collection No. 149

Snader Family papers

1880 - 1940 (bulk 1880 - 1940); 1.5 linear feet

Contains the papers of Edward R. Snader, Sr. (HU 1884) and Edward R. Snader, Jr. (HU 1921), as well as files, a few books, and some photographs. Dr. Edward Snader Sr. [1855-1909] graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1884, and went on after his graduation to become Chief of the Dispensary Staff at Hahnemann Medical College. He was also a professor of diagnosis at Hahnemann Medical College. His son, Dr. Edward R. Snader Jr. [1895-1942] graduated from Hahnemann Medical College in 1921.