Impactful | Solutions-Based | Transformative
The BS in Sustainability and Innovation offers a unique multidisciplinary perspective on current-day social and environmental challenges and provides you with the tools you will need to create market-based solutions. This degree embeds the Charles D. Close School’s unique approach to teaching entrepreneurship as a habit of mind within the framework of environmental stewardship, social equity, and economic sustainability. Graduates of this degree will be prepared to innovate in a variety of contexts including established companies, new or growing ventures, social enterprises, educational institutions, and other nonprofits.
In accordance with United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, this degree challenges students to recognize the complex nature of solving problems at the intersection of civil society, the marketplace, and the natural environment. This degree includes courses in the arts, sciences, and business, to provide a deeper understanding of the fields in which you will innovate, and requires you to pursue a minor outside of the Charles D. Close School to further fuel your passion and knowledge.
What will you Learn?
- Critical Thinking: Examine the interconnected relationships between social, environmental, economic, and natural environments informed by the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Ethical Decision Making: Apply ethical frameworks to the ideation, process, and practice of entrepreneurship.
- Resilience: Build the personal strengths required to respond to uncertainty and failure in an innovative environment.
- Effective Communication Skills: Communicate effectively and dynamically in a range of situations associated with an innovative environment.
Who Should Enroll?
According to the International Labor Organization (ILO), new jobs in sustainability and innovation are poised to grow by 24 million globally by 2030. The marketplace is undergoing a radical and permanent shift towards sustainability in all aspects of operations. With a degree in Sustainability and Innovation, you will be ready to:
- Apply your foundational understanding of major social and environmental problems to become an impact entrepreneur and agent of change.
- Start your own business or enter existing and emerging job markets in industry sectors poised for impact innovation, including, but not limited to:
- Construction and Engineering
- Energy and Environmental Stewardship
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Governmental and Regulatory Administration
- Arts and Entertainment
- Job Training and Development
This program is designed for individuals who are passionate about making the world a better place. Students who are interested in using entrepreneurship and innovation to create impactful solutions to society’s most pressing problems are encouraged to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is this an in-person, online, or combination program?
Currently, this is an in-person program.
Can you pursue a minor in another field?
All Charles D. Close School majors are required to take a minor as part of their plan of study.
Are Co-ops or internships a part of the program or required?
This program provides the flexibility to participate in three Co-op cycles for a 5-year plan of study, or you can complete your studies in 4 years with or without one traditional Co-op cycle.
What is the plan of study for the BS in Sustainability and Innovation?
More details and a sample plan of study can be found here.
How does the BS in Sustainability and Innovation differ from the BA in Entrepreneurship and Innovation?
The Charles D. Close School’s core entrepreneurship courses are required in both majors. Students enrolled in the BS in Sustainability and Innovation are also required to take a series of social and sustainable innovation courses, along with required courses from the fields of art, science, and business.
More Admissions FAQs
Questions about this program
If you have any questions or would like to speak with an advisor, please contact:
Charles D. Close School of Entrepreneurship
3230 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone:+47 333 78 901