Rules and Regulations
Rules and Regulations
Drexel Parking Services operates under the following rules and regulations:
- Parking is a privilege that can be revoked.
- All parking credentials issued by Parking Services remain the sole property of Drexel University and must be returned to the Parking Office when expired. Credentials not returned will be noted and no future permit will be issued.
- Lost parking permits will be replaced for $20.
- All persons utilizing Drexel University parking facilities may be required to show proper identification; refusal to comply may result in non-admittance. A valid Drexel ID is required to purchase a temporary permit and/or daily pass.
- When necessary, any vehicle on University property may be towed, booted or relocated to another location as determined by Parking Services.
- Car Pools: If more than one vehicle is to use a permit, each driver and vehicle must be recorded on the parking permit sales contract. The parking permit hangtag must be displayed hanging from the rearview mirror or on the passenger side lower corner of the front windshield and visible from the outside of the vehicle. Vehicles must be registered to participate in a car pool, and only one car pool vehicle may use the permit hangtag on any given day.
- All student term parking permits are valid on the first day of class for the term designated. Each term parking permit expires as printed on the permit. All employee permits begin and end monthly. Academic year permits are valid from fall term through summer term.
- Except for evening parking permits, all full-time parking permits are valid 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, including holidays. Expired permits are never valid.
Permit and Space Assignments
Drexel Parking Services is dedicated to customer service and works to place current permit holders and new customers in their desired lot as quickly and fairly as possible.
Definition of Current Permit Customers and New Customers
Current permit customers are those who have purchased a permit for the current academic term, while new customers are those who have not purchased a permit for the current academic term, but desire a parking permit assignment for the current or a future academic term.
Order of Preference
Lot assignments are awarded in three categories of priority:
- First Priority: Current customers who wish to continue at the same location for the succeeding term and exercise their permit renewal option. These customers must renew their permit prior to each term in order to maintain their lot assignment for each succeeding term. Parking Services sends an email notification to the entire Drexel Community with specific timelines.
- Second Priority: Current customers who desire a lot location change. These customers must complete a Lot Preference Change Form via ParkDrexel and must renew their current permit on time to maintain their lot preference position for each succeeding term. These requests are assigned in the order received. If spaces are available, customers will receive an immediate location change. If none are available, the request is placed in the queue for the lot requested and then served in the order received.
- Third Priority: New customers. These lot assignments will be assigned after the First and Second Priorities. New assignments are only available where lot openings exist on a first come first serve basis.
Please note that all customers can choose only one parking lot and must meet certain conditions to maintain their preference and eligibility.
Co-op Student Permits
A student on a co-operative education assignment (co-op) may extend the term parking permit privilege through term break by taking the following steps:
- Contact the Parking Services Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your Name, Drexel ID#, and co-op advisor's name, requesting the term break parking extension.
- Parking Services must receive the request by 5 p.m. on Friday of the seventh week of the academic term.
- Upon verification of co-op status, the extension will be granted via a reply to your email.
Those who are granted the extension but do not renew permit parking for the following term, will have their parking permit end at 11:59 p.m. the Sunday before the first day of class for the succeeding term.
NOTE: Students who renew their term permit and make payment prior to the renewal payment deadline are granted the extension at no charge.
Enforcement procedures can be viewed here.
Motorcycles, Mopeds and Bicycles
Motorcycle and moped operators may utilize the Drexel Parking Garage for a cost of one-half the garage term permit rate. A sticker is issued and must be affixed to the rear fender. They must park in the designated area and display the permit sticker.
Motorcycles, mopeds or any motorized vehicles are prohibited from parking at or near bicycle racks.
Bicycles may use the bike racks located throughout the campus. The racks offer maximum security if properly locked.
Do not park nor lock motorcycles, mopeds and bicycles to campus poles, trees, fences, railings or meters, nor be parked on grassy areas walkways, sidewalks or in buildings. Motorcycles, mopeds and bicycles in violation of these regulations may be towed, immobilized, impounded or confiscated. In addition to a towing charge ($125) or boot fee ($100), a fine of $40 must be paid to retrieve your property. Any chains or locks that are damaged as a result of such confiscation are the responsibility of the offending violator (owner or operator) and not Drexel University.
The Drexel Garage
Students and employees may purchase a term permit to park in the Drexel Parking Garage. Visitors, students and employees may access the garage on a space available basis using the self-serve Pay-By-Space kiosk.
Compact vehicles may only park in compact spaces in the garage located on level A. Both compact and full size vehicles may park on Levels B, C, D, E and F. Vehicles measuring 66" wide or less, and 192" long or less, are considered compact. Full size vehicles are those that exceed either dimension. This allows for optimum use of the garage space for the greatest number of vehicles.
Parking Garage permits are only valid in the Drexel Parking Garage and only for the designated term.
When entering or exiting the garage Drexel University reserves the right to verify and examine any term permit and/or access card. Permits must be displayed prominently upon entry, exit, and when parked in the garage.
Parking permits are sold through a license agreement via ParkDrexel.
The customer agrees to park where licensed and to display the parking permit as designated inside their vehicle. Drexel University is not responsible for fire, theft of or vandalism to the vehicle or contents contained therein. Parking on university facilities is at the vehicle owner's risk.
Request for Release from Parking Permit Sales Contract (Cancellation): In all cases, a Refund Request form must be submitted through ParkDrexel. If approved, the release will be effective on the date that the request is approved.
The following reasons are approved for release provided the customer submits the Refund Request form:
- Not Attending University – First-year students and transfers must notify the Parking Services Office directly in writing that they will not be enrolling in Drexel University.
- Academic Withdrawal from the University – A student who withdraws from the University for academic reasons must provide proof of withdraw from their academic college.
- Co-op Outside the Area – Students that accept a cooperative assignment where on campus parking is not needed. Verification from co-op advisor is required.
- Study Abroad – Students must submit documentation from the Study Abroad Office.
- Taking a Quarter Off – If a student decides to take a term off by not registering for classes or co-op for any given term, the student must complete the Refund Request form available via ParkDrexel and return their permit before the first day of class.
All Other Reasons
Other life issues and reasons submitted for the Refund Request will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Approved Student Requests Refund Schedule
When a Request for Release is approved, parking charges are refunded according to the following schedule:
||Prior to the first day of classes
||During the first week of classes
||During the second week of classes
||During the third week of classes
||During or after the fourth week of classes
Employees using the payroll deduction must email Drexel Parking Services at email@example.com to request a Cessation from the Parking Permit Sales Contract.
- Payroll Deduction: Deductions will cease on the termination date or be reconciled to the effective date if pre-approved.
- Non-Payroll Deduction: Employees must submit a Refund Request form to the Parking Services Office. If approved, releases will be effective the last working day of the month that the request is received, except where pre-approved arrangements have been made in advance.
- Non-Payroll Deduction/Prepaid Term Parking Permits:
- Pre-Approved Reasons will be prorated and reconciled to the approved effective date.
- Other Reasons will be prorated and reconciled to the last working day of the month.
The following reasons are approved for the release of parking commitments. A Refund Request form must be submitted.
- Leaving University Employ – Refunds will be prorated to the last day employed.
- Sabbatical – Faculty may arrange effective departure and return dates.
- FMLA – Employees on approved leave may arrange an effective departure and return dates.
- Other Reasons – Employees with other reasons must stop parking effective the last working day of the month.