PhD in Health Services Research and Policy
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Health Services Research and Policy Program offers a full-time course of study, where students are required to reside in the Philadelphia area to complete the degree. The program is designed to train doctoral students to pursue original quantitative, qualitative and/or mixed methods research in the broad areas of health policy and health services research in the United States and abroad, with an emphasis on research that can be translated into policy, programs and/or practice. The core areas of study include the following: social and political determinants of health and health systems, research methods, health economics, and implementation and dissemination science. In addition, with the guidance of their faculty advisors, students will choose a cognate or related area of study outside of the Department of Health Management and Policy as a core area of study.
Students will benefit from the interdisciplinary faculty in the Department of Health Management and Policy, and they will work under a faculty advisor whose research interests fit with those of the student. Students will be expected to be engaged in research activities during their time in the Program.
The PhD in Health Services Research and Policy Program is a full-time degree program that entails a high-quality, rigorous doctoral education in health services research and policy. Students will be admitted on a selective basis. Applicants who have research experience and demonstrate a strong commitment to research are preferred.
Review admission and application requirements
Completion of the PhD in Health Services Research and Policy will require:
- A minimum of 48 quarter credit hours beyond the master's degree as prescribed by the program's curriculum;
- 9 credits of pre-dissertation research
- A minimum of 9 credit hours (beyond the coursework and pre-dissertation research) for completion of the dissertation
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3;
- Passing the doctoral comprehensive examination;
- Passing the dissertation proposal defense;
- Completing a research dissertation of publishable quality; and
- Passing the final dissertation defense.
Review degree requirements and courses
Faculty and Research
Doctoral students will work with an interdisciplinary group of faculty who specialize in health services research and policy across broad areas of topics and methods.
Explore department faculty and research