For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Licensing Program

Welcome to the Drexel University Licensing web page. This web page is designed to help promote and protect our licensing program, as well as to help educate. The Licensing and Trademarks exist to protect and promote the marks, names and logos of Drexel University. Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark.

Any faculty/staff member, student group or organization, outside individual, commercial organization or company wishing to use Drexel's Trademarks must obtain permission to do so. All of Drexel's Trademarks must be produced under license or permission granted by Drexel.

Apply for a License

The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) administers the license application process on behalf of Drexel University and assists with issues of legality and enforcement. Companies capable of exhibiting a commitment to the collegiate market, who have established production and distribution capabilities, and/or who offer new or unique product/s may be granted the opportunity to obtain a license.

More information on becoming a licensed vendor and starting the application process


Collegiate Licensing Company

1075 Peachtree Street
Suite 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309

Phone: 770.956.0520
Fax: 770.955.4491

License Description

Any entity wishing to use Drexel’s Trademarks on products must first obtain a license. CLC issues the following licenses.

  • Standard License: A standard license is needed for companies that wish to manufacture collegiate product for six or more institutions, and is typically reserved for larger companies who have established production and distribution capabilities, and/or who offer a new or unique product. Standard licensees are allowed to sell product at retail and royalties are assessed on all merchandise sold.
  • Local License: A local license is needed for companies that desire to obtain a license with an institution located in their immediate in-state marketplace and be licensed with no more than five in-state universities. Local licensees are allowed to sell product at retail and royalties are assessed on all merchandise sold.
  • Internal Campus Supplier: An Internal Campus Supplier (ICS) license is needed for companies wishing to produce products only for internal campus departments and groups. ICS licensees are not allowed to sell product at retail.

Campus Departments/Student Organizations

Any department or organization wishing to produce a product using any Drexel trademarks must use a licensed vendor who is approved to sell in the restricted channel. The following steps should be used by campus departments or student organizations wishing to produce any product bearing a Drexel trademark:

  1. Generate the concept for the product, including how the product will be distributed/sold and to whom.
  2. A current list of Drexel’s licensed vendors and products can be found here -
  3. Department/Organization chooses licensed vendor.
  4. Vendor submits design to CLC with the following information: Name of Organization, Contact for Organization, Order Quantity.
  5. Licensing department approves the artwork.
  6. Vendor produces product and ships to department/organization.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is a trademark license?

A license is a written legal agreement between the owner of the trademark (licensor) and a manufacturer/vendor (licensee). The licensor grants permission to the licensee to affix the licensor's trademark(s) on a product(s). This license must be in place before use of the marks.

What is a trademark?

As defined by the US Patents & Trademarks Office, "a trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others." A trademark need not be registered in order to have protectable rights to it, simply by using or displaying a mark acquires automatic trademark rights to the owner.

What are the benefits of a licensing program?

A licensing program exists to protect the name and marks of the University and to enhance the image of the University through the signing of licensing agreements authorizing the use of the marks on high quality and tasteful merchandise. It is also the responsibility of the office to ensure that the University receives the appropriate commercial value for the use of its trademarks.

Who must be licensed?

Anyone or any business/organization wishing to use the University's trademarks or verbiage on any product must have a license before offering the product/goods for sale. This also includes sale to University departments, campus organizations and recognized student organizations. Premiums, promotions and advertising are included as well.

Who needs to use a licensed vendor?

If your order will include a University mark in the design, it must be purchased from a licensed vendor.

Are Recognized Student Organizations or campus departments required to obtain permission to use the University names/marks/logos on items used as giveaways, fundraisers or for internal use (shirts for staff, plaques, etc.)?

Yes, in order for the University to maintain and protect its value, a licensed vendor must be used.

How can I tell if a product is officially licensed?

Look for the Officially Licensed Collegiate label or hologram. This label assures you that the merchandise on which hangtag label is affixed has been approved for sale by the University and IMG College Licensing. Signs of infringing or counterfeit product may include poor quality of the product, registration marks not included, distorted logos and marks, no labels, cut tags, and use of student-athlete name or likeness.

May a business, corporation or outside entity use the name or marks of the University in their name or as interior design?

The University's policy does not allow its marks to be used for commercial and promotional advertising purposes without prior approval; this approval is granted based upon each situation. These orders must be fulfilled by a Drexel University licensed vendor. The University's name and/or marks may also not be used in any way that could state or imply an endorsement, such as with political candidates. The marks/names/logos may not be used as part of a business name or within the interior design of a business and its building and/or location without prior approval. Approval is not always granted for any of the above uses.

Contact Us

If you did not find your answer in our FAQ, please contact the Drexel University Licensing and Trademarks program with your specific question:

Sean Joyce
Assistant Athletics Director, External Relations

Drexel University Athletics
3141 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104

PH: 215.895.1588