The Economic Inclusion initiative of the Office of University and Community Partnerships takes on a centralized support role for Drexel's business functions. Our staff act as facilitators, connecting West Philadelphia economic development partner organizations, businesses, and residents to the Drexel units that handle human resources, procurement, and construction. Our partnership with Procurement Services and its Supplier Inclusion program provides a gateway for local businesses to access the Drexel supply chain. The capacity-building programs at the Beachell Family Learning Center advance our institutional commitment to Buy Local and equitable economic opportunity:
Our entrepreneurship programs include:
- B Smart: 10 week training course for small business owners
- BIG: monthly meeting of entrepreneurs featuring guest speakers and lively discussion
- Nonprofit Network: video library of educational resources for nonprofit management
- QuickBooks Training: four week crash course in the QuickBooks accounting software for small businesses
More resources for small business owners:
- OnRamp is a free 10 week program at the University City Science Center designed for aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners without start up experience. You can also find recordings of past sessions on their website.
- Power Up is a free class offered by Community College of Philadelphia. This program offers four distinct programs for various stages of business development.
- LA21 is a community development corporation (CDC) dedicated to supporting small business owners on the Lancaster Avenue business corridor. They offer a variety of resources, programs and an opportunity for membership.
- The Free Library of Philadelphia Business Resource and Innovation Center offers a wide variety of resources for all stages of business development including a free video library of classes on topics such as business planning and market research, a curated list of online resources and sample documents, and frequent live events and seminars offered both online and in person.