Online Master's of Science Degree in Educational Administration
Drexel University School of Education
Increasingly challenging educational environments, coupled with evolving accountability standards, makes today’s schools complex organizations that require strong leadership. Based on national and state standards, Drexel's Master of Science in Educational Administration prepares elementary and secondary teachers and counselors to become effective and successful school administrators.
Using 21st-century learning tools, rigorous academic preparation, and invaluable internship experiences, the MS in Educational Administration degree program offers graduate students enduring model for successful school leadership in rural, urban, and suburban settings.
What Can You Do with a Degree in Educational Administration & Leadership?
The MS in Educational Administration degree program is a performance-based credential designed as a path to career advancement for elementary and secondary teachers and counselors in K-12 schools. Eligible students may pursue school principal positions and/or supervisor of special education positions. Graduates become school leaders with the strategic vision and tools necessary to initiate change.
Specifically, the MS in Education Administration’s learning outcomes specifically address and respond to the Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership (PIL) Program.
All curriculum for the MS in Educational Administration is developed and vetted with PIL's standards* in consideration:
- The leader has the knowledge and skills to think and plan strategically, creating an organizational VISION around personalized student success.
- The leader has an understanding of STANDARDS-BASED SYSTEMS THEORY and design and the ability to transfer that knowledge to the leader's job as the architect of standards-based reform in the school.
- The leader has the ability to access and use appropriate DATA TO INFORM DECISION-MAKING at all levels of the system.
- The leader knows how to create a culture of teaching and learning with an emphasis on learning.
- The leader knows how to manage resources for effective results.
- The leader knows how to collaborate, communicate, engage and empower others inside and outside of the organization to pursue excellence in learning.
- The leader knows how to operate in a fair and equitable manner with personal and professional integrity.
- The leader knows how to advocate for children and public education in the larger political, social, economic, legal and cultural context.
- The leader knows how to support professional growth of self and others through practice and inquiry.
MS in Educational Administration - Program Options
In Drexel University’s MS in Educational Administration degree program, future school leaders participate in rigorous academics and authentic internship experiences while enjoying the flexibility of an online degree experience.
There are five unique online program options designed to fit your specific career goals:
- Option 1: MS in Educational Administration
- Option 2: MS in Educational Administration with school principal certification*
- Option 3: MS in Educational Administration with school principal certification & special education leadership concentration**
- Option 4: MS in Educational Administration with special education leadership concentration**
- Option 5: Pennsylvania administrative certificate, principal K–12 only.*
* Requires a state-issued teacher certificate prior to enrollment. Certification may be issued from any U.S. state or territory.
** Requires a state-issued special education certificate prior to enrollment
All our programs are ideal for certified teachers and counselors who aspire to support 21st-century students and make a difference in the field of education.
As a leading provider of online learning, we understand the dedication it takes to include advanced study in your work and family life and we make every effort to assist you with your studies. Every student is assigned a graduate academic advisor to map out a personalized plan of study. Advisors develop personal relationships with their students, helping them select courses and counseling them in reaching their academic and career goals.
Blackboard serves as an online support center. Through Blackboard students can:
- access course information
- network with classmates, faculty, and program advisors
- join discussion boards and share news
- check job postings
- access archived presentations
- access online tutorials
During the course of study, students benefit from activities such as lecture series by national speakers, dynamic workshops and internship orientations. After graduation, students continue to receive support through our mentorship program.
MS in Educational Administration Program Eligibility
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPAs will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- For the Principal Certification option: A state-issued teaching or counseling certificate
- For the Supervisor of Special Education concentration: A state-issued special education teacher certificate
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting Drexel Online's "Completing Your Application Guide."
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation, professional or academic
- PA Administrative Certificate, Principal K-12: One letter of recommendation must come from the principal of a school where you've worked, and discuss your presentation skills and experiences in leadership roles in a K-12 school setting as well as skills that would have a strong bearing on your success as a school leader and administrator
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing graduate study in this field
- Include two paragraphs briefly describing your educational philosophy
- PA Administrative Certificate, Principal K-12: Also explain how principals shape learning in K-12 schools
- Additional requirements for International Students
Educational Administration Courses and Curriculum
The MS in Educational Administration was created using a framework of national standards to train individuals with elementary and secondary teaching experience to become transformational school leaders for a new generation.
Graduates learn a proven skill set that can be applied to the following six standards:
● Identifying a personal school vision
● Establishing a school culture based on learning
● Managing finances, facilities, and resources
● Collaborating and communicating with the school, parents and community
● Operating with integrity and fairness in an equitable manner
● Functioning as a student advocate within political, legal, social, economic and cultural contexts
To gain real-world experience in the duties of a school administrator, students pursue activities such as facilitating workshops for teachers, working with parents and community, observing in principal meetings, attending school board meetings, working on new curriculum or program initiatives and directing school-wide activities.
In the internship phase, the student works with a state-certified school principal or an assistant principal in their school district. The student accumulates 15 hours each week for a total of 600 hours over four terms.
How to Apply for the Master's of Science in Educational Administration
The MS in Educational Administration is offered 100% online. You can get started by filling out the Drexel Online application.