The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals is a full-year scholarship program to Germany with a strong focus on cultural exchange. It is designed to give participants understanding for everyday life, education, and professional training in Germany and the United States; German language knowledge is not required, though recommended. CBYX is intended primarily for young adults in business, technical, vocational, engineering, and agricultural fields, though it is open to candidates in all career fields.
75 Americans and 75 Germans participate in the program each year. For American participants, the program involves two months of intensive German language training, one semester of classes in the participant's academic field, and a three- to five-month internship in the participant's career field.
- be between 18 1/2 and 24 years of age at the start of the program
- possess a high school diploma
- exhibit clear career goals and some relevant experience in their career field (experience can be work, internship, or volunteer)
- act as "young ambassadors" of the United States in Germany
- represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, disabilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, and socio-economic status
Fields of Study:
- Arts and Creative Fields
- Business and Law
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Professional Opportunity
- US Citizen
- US National or Permanent Resident
- Round trip airfare; 2-month German language school costs; 4 months' tuition; housing costs; monthly living stipend; program-related travel in Germany; health insurance