Message from the Executive Director
Welcome to the Lindy Center for Civic Engagement! I hope that you find our website to be an important tool as you explore about the various programs and initiatives that emphasize Drexel University’s commitment to civic engagement.
The Lindy Center for Civic Engagement offers an interdisciplinary approach to academic and co-curricular programming, seeking excellence in all that we do. Whether that is engaging all Drexel students in public service through first-year civic engagement, collaborating with faculty on community based learning courses, or developing long-term civic engagement activities through special initiatives and student civic leadership programs, we are very excited about the high-quality programs and activities that take place through the Lindy Center.
As part of the mission of the Lindy Center we work with university students, faculty, staff and community-based organizations to promote civic engagement consistent with the University’s strategic plan. To highlight a few of our programs happening this year, the Lindy Center:
- Offers a Civic Learning and Engagement Certificate for students to more deeply explore concepts of engagement, privilege, community, and social justice.
- Expanded our student civic leadership program, Drexel Community Scholars, to build capacity in our community partnerships and contribute to an empowering experience for our students.
- Introduces first-year students to civic engagement through CIVC 101, as a national model for community based learning and supports higher-level community-based learning courses and faculty within several academic departments across campus.
- Supports the academic achievements of local youth through the Lindy Scholars Program and a soon-to-be-launched College Access Center.
- Strengthens partnerships with community-based and civic organizations in the Philadelphia region through a partnership grants, connecting volunteers, and supporting relationships with faculty and students.
Again, a warm welcome! We look forward to hearing from the many individuals, departments, schools, colleges, and organizations that enhance our collaborations and make our work so exciting.
Jennifer Johnson Kebea
Executive Director, EdD